My 70 Nova project (Formerly looking at this mustang)

That finger splint does not adequately represent the PITA you're having to deal with.
It should be much more elaborate.

That opinion is based on personal experience.
When I was about 13 YOA, I seriously injured my right index finger.
After about a week of great pain (no pain killers offered), after the stitches were removed, the Doctor covered the wound with a band-aid (or three).
For all that I had been through, and was still going through, I thought a cast, plus a sling, plus a couple of armed guards would have been appropriate.

It's a cold cruel world. :bawling:

Take care and do whatever is required to heal well. After all, that's your shifting hand. :grin: You're going to need it in good shape.

One day at a time grasshopper. It’s hell waiting for stuff to heal.

Yes it is hell. Out in the shop trying to do stuff and it' not easy with my left hand. Takes 3 times as long and doesn't come out as well, but it is what it is. I'll get better with more practice with my left hand.

I knocked the temp splint off several times and had my wife help me put it back on. I don't know what the custom made splint will look like, but hopefully it will be easier to use. They are making me two of them, one for normal wear, and one for the shower.

My wife did pretty good with my bead blaster. I'm proud of her for trying.

Yes it is a cruel world, and I'll definitely need my shifting hand. Been awhile since I've rowed a 6 speed ;)

Well I've run into a snag putting the front end on. Other than it's a royal pain without using my thumb, I can't get the front splash pan to line up with the bottom of the fenders.

I have new fenders, new inner fenders, new core support, new splash pan brace, and a new splash pan plastic top. I can't get the mounting flange of the splash pan/support to match up with the bottom of the fender bolt holes. Everything is about 1" low. The plastic finish piece is even with the bottom of the grille.

Everything else has been lining up perfectly. Got all the bots in mounting the fenders, inner fenders, core support. I just can't see any way to force this to fit. First thought is to make some kind of spacers between the end of the pan to the fenders. The factory assembly manual doesn't show anything like that.
20211108_155057.jpgindex.jpgindex2.jpg
20211108_162006.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm?

Is the grill the only thing that is preventing the part from mating with the fenders?

Last edited:
Yes it looks like it. But the splash pan can't go any higher at all. All the grille mounting bolts lined up pretty good and the top of the grille position is set by the hood latch and the support under it, and the two side grille supports. The side supports also have 2 mounting points for the headlight rings, and they line up pretty well. The support under it has 2 holes that should line up with the splash pan support, but again are over 1' too high.

I'll work on it more tomorrow, but I can't see that there is any way it will fit like it is. I'm thinking about making some kind of spacers to fill in the gaps. I really don't like that idea, but I may have to. I'm open to alternative suggestions.

Are all these factory parts? Or, are some of these repro..?
Some aftermarket parts are notorius for bad fitment.

All the parts are aftermarket unfortunately.

I've narrowed it down to the plastic trim part. It's just too tall. It had fiberglass part on it and wasn't in very good shape, so I bought new parts to replace it. The old one is right about 1" shorter and with much fighting I was able to get the old one on and the support piece bolted on. Had to drill some more bolt holes and it doesn't look that great, but it is what it is. Now I'm going to try and get the bumper on. Have to try and find a way to block it up so I can get the bolts in. Just too heavy to lift without a thumb on one hand.

I'm ready for the thumb thing to go away about now.

Last edited:
Floor jack...

Back