My Free Lathe, Thanks To This Website

According to Logan, your lathe is from 1942: http://www.lathe.com/ser-no.htm

The tailstock is an AC-241 Lever Tailstock Assembly which according to the 1944 catalog was an accessory for the 10" lathes. Your machine
certainly looks like a Model 200. I think you should keep it, but I might be a bit biased since I own one. :) I also had a 6" Atlas, but I sold
it as soon as my Logan was up and running since it wouldn't do anything the Logan couldn't do better.

Difference between Northern California and East TN:
SanFran: Older couple needing a machine hauled away, results: Gorgeous Logan 10" and what seemed to be a fairly easy move.
Knoxville: Older couple needing a machine hauled away, results: Turn-of-the century Camel Back Drill Press, large pain loading it up.
Tell you which one I'd really would have rather scored. :grin:
Fantastic score, Nice move Jim!

Plus, I was hoping to later have my now 11 year old son learn to turn on that 6" lathe. He has high functioning autism which contributes to his overall lack of coordination. All he wants to do is play video games. When I feel he is ready, I want him to learn some metalworking. So, I guess that's my extra excuse for not letting go of my less abled Craftsman lathe.
This may be wrong to some and I may get flamed, but you can also try wood turning on one of the lathes.
My son at that age had some eye/hand coordination problems, nothing like autism though, and what I did was to set up a 3" dia. blank on the lathe, and a 1/4" radius tool in the holder.
I set hard stops - up, down and sideways and let him create designs in the blank.
We progressed to the point where I would make up a sketch, lay out some lines on a blank and he would match the sketch.
We had a whole bunch of candle stick holders.

This may be wrong to some and I may get flamed, but you can also try wood turning on one of the lathes.
My son at that age had some eye/hand coordination problems, nothing like autism though, and what I did was to set up a 3" dia. blank on the lathe, and a 1/4" radius tool in the holder.
I set hard stops - up, down and sideways and let him create designs in the blank.
We progressed to the point where I would make up a sketch, lay out some lines on a blank and he would match the sketch.
We had a whole bunch of candle stick holders.
Fortunately, my son's autism is mild. I told him there is nothing wrong with him, and that he just thinks differently (which is true). I then told him how Mark Zuckerberg was rumored to have high functioning autism as well, and that didn't stop him from starting a big business and making lots of $. Most people don't believe he is autistic when I tell them, after they met him. However, he does prefer to have a schedule so he knows what happens when, and he will interpret stuff literally, like if I said, "Get out if here," he'd respond by putting on his shoes and jacket, when I wasn't meaning it literally

I think I would get instantly divorced if I tried to squeeze anything else in my car garage/shop. I always have to move something to get at anything. even have to back the car out to get at the lathe. Also have to move the air compressor out of the way to get at the MIG weldr, and have to move that to get at the oxy set.

Had the electrician come by today to replace a faulty RCD, and had to move the motorcycle out so he could get at the switchboard. And so it goes on. Perhaps I'll give up riding one day then i can sell it.
Seems like all of life is a 15 puzzle
15 Puzzle.jpg

I love the cast iron legs from that era.

Susan, what are you doing Saturday night? :)

Seriously, maybe find a die filer deal for me.

Susan, what are you doing Saturday night? :)

Seriously, maybe find a die filer deal for me.
And while your at finding free equipment I need a finger brake and a stomp shear. :D

Back