My Free Lathe, Thanks To This Website

Ok, you guys actually are affecting me, lol!
After reading your comments, I will keep this Logan, and sell the little Craftsman -if I can't make room for it ;-)

Susan, what are you doing Saturday night? :)

Seriously, maybe find a die filer deal for me.
Hi Winegrower,
What's goin' on Saturday night? I almost bought a die filier from a Southern California seller a few weeks ago, but shipping was over $100.

What is your budget?

Fyi, another option is to buy a die filier kit.
Here are links to two different sellers:

This first seller sells a kit for around $120
http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/MLA-18.html

This other seller sells a kit for $125
http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools-subfiles/MMPtools-sub.html

The only think I don't like about the kits is that the table seems small. However, the price is great!

So do Interior Designers. They pitch the lathe and keep the legs for tables. (*SHUDDER*)
The couple who gave me the lathe told me they feared someone would sell a few parts and dump the rest in the Bay. I've seen people buy Atlas horizontal mills that worked perfectly fine with the original owner, and then sell the parts for overpriced amounts on Ebay. Greedy you-know-whats destroying machines for a profit. Oh, and those hipster furniture sellers selling their overpriced $3k "live edge" tables on lathe legs are one of the main reasons I thinkwhy the lathe legs are expensive and hard to find. GRRRRR!!

Last edited:
Hi Winegrower,
What's goin' on Saturday night? I almost bought a die filier from a Southern California seller a few weeks ago, but shipping was over $100.

What is your budget? (Well, I have passed on a $400 filer...so maybe half that would be a no brainer.)

Fyi, another option is to buy a die filier kit. (Yes, I think that the work involved to complete either of these projects would make $400 seem like a bargain. :) )

Here are links to two different sellers:

This first seller sells a kit for around $120. (I like this and have contemplated this kit. Somewhere I saw a video of making one of these. Scary! Oh, man...I just want to have one, and use it, rather than another incomplete project in inventory.)

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/MLA-18.html

This other seller sells a kit for $125. (Didn’t know about this, thanks.)
http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools-subfiles/MMPtools-sub.html

The only think I don't like about the kits is that the table seems small. However, the price is great!
(Yep, but it is mainly small pieces that I would probably put on a filer. I could see me never finishing a kit. :-( )

Honestly, I think I will repost the question I am about to ask under the Logan lathe section of the forum, as well as here.

Turns out that a machinist acquaintance /seller I know has been fiending for my 5" Wilton Bullet vise. I am not offering my baby vise though.
20181012_190533.jpg

He is offering a Logan taper attachment and quite a few mint screw gears in exchange for my vise. How would I know that this taper attachment and gears would fit my Logan, other than to take the guy's word?

5659864921.jpg
imagejpeg_2.jpg
imagejpeg_4.jpg

The gears included are: 64, 56, 52, 48, 40, 36, 32, 32

I guess I just want feedback on how to determine if it is compatible, and if trading for a 5" Bullet vise sounds fair.

Btw, the only reason I would consider trading the vise is because I am supposed to be picking up this restored 5-1/2" Bullet this weekend. I am bartering with this teenager who collects vintage items and sells them at antique fairs and craigslist. I gave him a rusty Miller Falls hand crank drill press, an old Niagara bead roller, and a Reed vise as well as a bead blast cabinet. The Reed vise and blast cabinet were free off craigslist, but I'm not telling him that ;-) . He plans on making videos of him restoring the drill press and bead roller.

Here is the 5-1/2" vise I will be getting this weekend. I took a pic of the vise, but later accidently deleted it, so here is a link the video this 17 year old made restoring the vise. I wouldn't recommend watching the video if you are short on time. There is no talking, just him restoring the vise in super fast forward speed.

So, this is the only reason why I would consider getting rid of my current 5" vise for the Logan taper attachment and gears. When I went on Ebay, I noticed they had zero Logan taper attachments. So, that's another reason why I turned to this guy.

Are taper attachments universal to lathe size or are they made to fit specific models?

Thanks guys for reading my long posting.

Susan

Last edited:
Back