My New 1340GT

:gangster: Show us the pictures when it comes or else buddy, capische?

Bill, I think you will be happy with the factory optioned 3-phase motor. I have no issues with mine nor do I see any reason why I would in the future. What made the most difference on my lathe was just replacing the belt with a higher quality one.

Mike.

Bill, I think you will be happy with the factory optioned 3-phase motor. I have no issues with mine nor do I see any reason why I would in the future. What made the most difference on my lathe was just replacing the belt with a higher quality one.

Mike.

Yea, I have the number for that belt written down somewhere. Guess I should go buy one. :)

The factory 3 phase motor seem to work fine with the WJ200. The only caveat is to set the VFD frequency to at least to 12KHz, otherwise the motor wine is worse than a cat in heat. When I was looking at other possible motor options, the Leeson metric motor (which is commonly used) body was too long; it measures 10.8" vs stock which is 10". The space behind the stock motor blower cover to splash shield is ~3/4". Only 2HP motor that had a short body, was something along the lines of a Marathon E467 TENV type, it has a 9 1/4" body with a 145T frame.

Belts:
Ended up getting some Gates Tri-Power V-Belts, both BX24 and BX25. Needed both sizes, as I did not have enough adjustment range with one belt depending on the pulley range used. Probably some metric length in between the two, also varies by brand and V configuration. Been very happy with the belts so far, they are cogged and grip well. A lot less debris flying off the gates than the stock belt.
ww.royalsupply.com/store/pc/Gates-BX24-Tri-Power-V-Belt-9013-2024-1095p36411.htm
http://www.royalsupply.com/store/pc/Gates-BX25-Tri-Power-V-Belt-9013-2025-1095p36412.htm

Just talked to Matt on the phone: It appears that the company that Matt buys these 3 phase motors from has no idea when one for me might show up. First it was late Feb. Now it's end of March. But Matt told me he has one of the factory 3 phase motors and that he'd issue me a refund/credit for the difference. I figure if that motor is good enough for Mike and others here, it's OK in my book. I told him to throw a couple extra BXA #2s in the box and we'd call it good. :)

Oh...and the horse has left the barn. Matt says he should have a tracking # for me later today. :dancing banana:

Congrats!

Thanks guys. I have even begun stocking up on some of the larger stuff I've been needing.

DSCN4309.JPG

Well... my lathe is here... yet it is not here.... LOL

It made it to the supply house early this afternoon... however I had a couple of issues finishing a job... and was not done until around 6-ish. The supply house will be open in the morning... so I have to decide if I am gonna go to the shoot-off, or get my lathe. I have a boatload of stuff I need to do around the house... and tomorrow is the last day until next Saturday it will not be raining... I am seriously considering letting the shoot-off go.

If I get the lathe... will attempt to post a few pics of the box in the basement, hopefully opened.

Bill... The factory motor in the PM935 mill 3HP 3PH is fine... you will probably be fine with the factory motor. I am figuring about 2-3 years give or take... before any issues with the factory motor... then get a good one. That works for me.

Does anyone know if the 935 and the 1340 come from the same factory in Taiwan? Curious???

BTW Bill... I like your collection of 'essentials'... :)

Last edited:
Cheaper stuff first...(sheesh...always critics) ;)

Back