My New 1340GT

Non-commercial "household goods" are exempt, but is machinery for hobby use considered household goods. Residential is one of the four classifications of personal property, commercial, industrial, agricultural, residential. Machinery is listed as taxable personal property. Its not clear if machinery for hobby use would be taxable based on what I read.

My machines were not classified as taxable. Now if I were to go buy a $15k CNC they probably would tax that. IF they knew about it.

The world is being taxed to death.

Last edited:
So I've pretty much decided on the first upgrades/enhancements for the new lathe:
...Shars 7 piece indexable turning set, 3/4"
You sure those will fit in your tool post?

Are you getting it with a QCTP from PM? If not, you need to add a QCTP to your shopping list (the wedge type, not the piston type). A must have.

Usually, the BXA size is what fits on a 13x40 lathe. And the normal BXA tool holders only fit 5/8" tools.

Dorian BXA tool holders are 5/8" to 1"

But...having said that, I have to make sure I can get a 3/4" holder on centerline. That will be the test BEFORE I buy the set. Otherwise it will be the 5/8" set. :D

I already made the mistake of having of purchasing some Dorian BXA oversize holders, they do not work with 5/8" tooling without a 0.300" spacer underneath them, might work with 3/4, should work with 1" tooling. Problem is the adjustment range with the larger holder. All my turning tools are 5/8" so far and they are in Aloris BXA-1 or 2 holders, will probably get a 1" cut off and use one of my oversized Dorian holders. 5/8" works just fine.

Ok. Griz site doesn't say they are oversize, just that AXA is 3/8-3/4 and BXA is 5/8-1. How much adjustment range do you have on the Dorian BXA? Thanks.

Adjustment range varies with type of holder, standard Aloris BXA 5/8" holders have ~0.9", Dorian BXA 1" oversize ~0.37".
Dorian BXA Oversize Holder.jpg

Looks like if I want the Dorian I just buy the tool post and buy Aloris #2s. Or I could just buy the Aloris set and be done with it. Thanks.

Back