My New 1340GT

Then the fun begins...
*Build the stand and paint it
Easy solution: just bolt it to the floor and call it done!

(And along the way mount the toolbox under and between the cabinets... I am thinking to build a small platform on the stand, rather than hang it from something below the chip pan).
Just a word of warning: good way to fill your toolbox up with chips... they can get in everywhere... I find it more convenient to keep my tools in a 26" roll around tool chest with a plywood top to use as a work surface. It can get stored out of the way when I am not using the lathe.

Just a word of warning: good way to fill your toolbox up with chips... they can get in everywhere... I find it more convenient to keep my tools in a 26" roll around tool chest with a plywood top to use as a work surface. It can get stored out of the way when I am not using the lathe.

THX for the thoughts...
The reason to build the stand is two-fold:
One is I am a tall guy... want the work level a bit higher.
The other is portability... the lathe stand is designed with removable 'outriggers' (similar to a large mobile crane)... so I can raise and roll the lathe when necessary. There is a move in my future... not gonna live in a house with two flights of stairs to the bedroom into retirement... :)

As to the tool-box under the lathe... space is a premium. You are not the first to mention the potential for chips in the box... I think I have a possible way to keep that down... we will see. The plan is to build a platform (probably wood) on the stand, and set the box on the platform (under the chip pan in the middle). THX for the input.

Agree, Costco sells a large stainless roll around chest with a hardwood top at a very reasonable price, about $400.

Bill I visit your thread daily in anticipation of giving you the 'congrats on your new lathe' post...I'm going away again with a :-( see you tomorrow.

Bill I visit your thread daily in anticipation of giving you the 'congrats on your new lathe' post...I'm going away again with a :-( see you tomorrow.

No one is more anxious than I, but I do appreciate the thought. Maybe next week. :)

Agree, Costco sells a large stainless roll around chest with a hardwood top at a very reasonable price, about $400.
I am a big fan of the Harbor Freight 26" chest. It has 8 shallow drawers, which is ideal for storing machinist tooling. The bottom drawers are big enough to put 6" lathe chucks in. These chests are far superior to the Craftsman variety... I have two 26" craftsman ball-bearing chests in my garage next to this one, and it puts them to shame. Thicker steel, sturdier construction, rolled edges to the sheet metal. At a cheaper price. The top chest is very deep, and again is ideal for storing endmills, DTI, etc.

I am not a HF fan, but one of my friends had one of these chests and raved about it. Once I saw it, I understood why. Get it on sale with a coupon for $330 (with the 8 drawer topper):

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...er-glossy-red-roller-cabinet-combo-67831.html
image_11487.jpg

So I've pretty much decided on the first upgrades/enhancements for the new lathe:

Pratt Burnerd Setrite 3-jaw, 8"
Dorian 5-piece QCTP set BXA
DroPros EL400 magnetic 2-axis DRO
Shars 7 piece indexable turning set, 3/4"

That should get me started. :D

That should keep you busy for a while Bill...

I will be occupied with the stand and wiring for a few weeks... then I have some lathe work to do.
Both for my Gyro, and for a couple of paying customers... Thankfully they waited for me... hope it stays like that as I build a business making custom parts.

Waiting on a check from Morgan Stanley... :rolleyes:

Back