NSFW My Oliver S-1 Die Filer finally made it! BUT, UPS had their way with it.

Warning: thread may contain photos that are not for the squeamish.
Now some people complain about eBay, not me. I bought a heavy 1.5HP electric motor, advertised as brand new. When it came, the seller had simply put it in a cardboard box, stuck a small piece of styrofoam over the shaft, and loosely threw in a few more styrofoam scraps. Of course, when it arrived, the shaft was bent, the baseplate was significantly warped, and especially, it had clearly been installed previously…set screw marks all over the shaft and bolt circles cut into the base plate. The seller refused any responsibility so I opened a claim, sent pictures of the packaging and markings, and they refunded my money.

Does Facebook have anything similar? I suspect, like Craigslist, it does not.

Now some people complain about eBay, not me. I bought a heavy 1.5HP electric motor, advertised as brand new. When it came, the seller had simply put it in a cardboard box, stuck a small piece of styrofoam over the shaft, and loosely threw in a few more styrofoam scraps. Of course, when it arrived, the shaft was bent, the baseplate was significantly warped, and especially, it had clearly been installed previously…set screw marks all over the shaft and bolt circles cut into the base plate. The seller refused any responsibility so I opened a claim, sent pictures of the packaging and markings, and they refunded my money.

Does Facebook have anything similar? I suspect, like Craigslist, it does not.
I'm not sure, I paid through paypal though. I WILL say they seem to be working with UPS to try to get at least shipping (more than 1/2 the cost!) refunded.

In the end though, with the needed repairs, and me paying for it all, I won't feel cheated. Live and learn kinda thing :)

I wish people shipping heavy items would learn how to do it. You can't just use loose foam, or worse, packing peanuts. Probably the best packaging I've received was a rackmount network switch. They wrapped it in plastic, then surrounded it with what looks like expanding foam. The result was a package that felt like a solid object from the outside and nothing could move. I'm not sure that trick would work with machines/parts though. For that you might be better off bolting it to wood, and building a wood box inside the cardboard box to support and protect it. Or maybe bolted to a pallet, build a box around it, and ship freight. That's what PM did with my lathe, and it came though fine.
Cardboard folded up tight and wedged around all 6 sides with very tightly packed newspaper everywhere else.

The overarm isn't a "gotta have" though it does allow you to put a little more pressure on the files. I love my Oliver S-1! I just put a new deadbolt on our front door; Schlage to keypad Schlage. The bolt was high on the striker by close to 1/4". I'd never looked at it before closely, when our house was built whoever put the original deadbolt in the door was off so far that they used a regular door striker plate with the oversized hole.

I marked the position for the correct striker plate, chiseled the jam, ran the screws and was just dragging with the bolt. I scribed a line 1/16" off the existing hole, taped the table side of the striker, stuck an oval file in the Oliver and voila, 1 minute later a perfect hole.

Let me know if you need any photos or dimensions.

Bruce

20161216_124947a.jpg
20161216_125015a.jpg
20161216_125034.jpg

The overarm isn't a "gotta have" though it does allow you to put a little more pressure on the files. I love my Oliver S-1! I just put a new deadbolt on our front door; Schlage to keypad Schlage. The bolt was high on the striker by close to 1/4". I'd never looked at it before closely, when our house was built whoever put the original deadbolt in the door was off so far that they used a regular door striker plate with the oversized hole.

I marked the position for the correct striker plate, chiseled the jam, ran the screws and was just dragging with the bolt. I scribed a line 1/16" off the existing hole, taped the table side of the striker, stuck an oval file in the Oliver and voila, 1 minute later a perfect hole.

Let me know if you need any photos or dimensions.

Bruce

View attachment 433161
View attachment 433162
View attachment 433163
Thanks Bruce! It seems pretty cool :) I'm waiting until the weekend for some parts to show up (a table to put it on, plus a replacement wire, then I'm going to take it apart, clean it, and re-oil everything, plus fix the motor.

The overarm is one of the big reasons I went with a commercial rather than build my own, so I'm hoping the welder can fix it via weld/braise. I figure worst case, the overarm isn't particularly complicated, and now that I have one to copy, I could perhaps make one out of aluminum or steel plate otherwise.

I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions on the sizes!
What oil do you use for the gear box? How high do you fill it?

Sorry about the lack of drops in that package Erich. It wasn't from stinginess, I didn't want to risk anything wandering around in there and damaging the right angle head/ arbor support

Hey, I never received any drops............

I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions on the sizes!
What oil do you use for the gear box? How high do you fill it?
I use ISO 68 oil; same as the headstock of my Grizzly G0709 lathe. There are two plugs in the housing. I figure lubrication must be important if they attached an embossed brass plaque noting the fill process! Pull both plugs, fill through the top one until it's running out the lower one.

Bruce

20230112_100333.jpg

Back