Great post! Thanks for sharing...Now, How in God's name do you keep that shop so clean! Especially that horizontal band saw! If you saw mine you'd vomit! You do excellent work with tremendous attention to detail.

Can I ask, what are you making with all that Ti?

Thanks. I probably do keep my machines cleaner than most but those pics were copied over from another forum when the lathe was brand spankin' new. And that 4x6, I don't have it anymore. I sold it & got a 7x12 last year.

With the Ti, I make various little gadgets & "toys" like this.

DZ what is your ceiling height in your shop? Also, your cleanliness disgusts me!

DZ what is your ceiling height in your shop? Also, your cleanliness disgusts me!

I wish I had a shop. I work in a 2 car garage in just one half of it. When I finally break out & get a CNC mill I'll have to move my stuff out to a shop. My garage ceiling height is 9' 3".

Haha, there you go again. You're the one to talk! I've seen your threads, your machines & shop space look 10x cleaner than mine! I wish I had all that empty & roomy space! Clean is not a bad thing though.

I wish I had a shop. I work in a 2 car garage in just one half of it. When I finally break out & get a CNC mill I'll have to move my stuff out to a shop. My garage ceiling height is 9' 3".

Haha, there you go again. You're the one to talk! I've seen your threads, your machines & shop space look 10x cleaner than mine! I wish I had all that empty & roomy space! Clean is not a bad thing though.

LOL yeah my garage is pretty clean, not sure how long the empty space will last I have been measuring to see if I can stuff a Haas Mini Mill 2 in there.

I finally decided to replace the 6.0" 3-jaw chuck that came with my lathe. It's my least used chuck so I didn't want to spend a whole lot for one. I really just wanted the option of being able to make my own soft jaws if ever needed. I ended up with a Gator 6.0" semi steel adjustable 3-jaw with reversible top jaws. I really wanted a 6.3" with 3 pinions (this Gator only has 1) but this will do considering what I received before this. Before this I got a TMX chuck in the same flavor but I sent that crap right back. I should have just went with the Gator to begin with.

I sold my stock 4-jaw when I got a Gator 8" direct mount to replace it. But I think I'll just keep my stock 6.0" 3-jaw anyway when ever I need to sand, polish, heat, etc.

Img_1203.jpg

Overall the chuck is decently ground, nothing like the quality of the higher quality high dollar brands but a lot nicer than any othe China chuck I've seen. Gator p/n 1-901-0600
Img_1182.jpg

The back is blanchard ground but again not nearly as nice as the higher quality name brands.
Img_1186.jpg

The adapter is cast iron. FLE-160/D4 (although the p/n indicates 160mm it's not 6.3" like their forged model). Front looks pretty good aside from the burn marks but the back does not look as nice. It indicated pretty good so I decided not to skim it.
Img_1189.jpg

Img_1179.jpg

Well within their guaranteed TIR.
Img_1204.jpg

Back