My time has come..........surgery

How you feeling? I'm in the same boat at 43 and need one as well (actually both but the left is much worse). Too much fun or stupidity as a youth I guess. The Dr. want's me to wait until I'm 50 but I don't think that's going to happen as some days I can barely put on a sock. Next time I meet with the ortho, I'm going to ask what method he uses. The idea of cutting you up as little as possible seems like a pretty good idea.

Jason, have you considered a different doctor in a different practice?

Jason, have you considered a different doctor in a different practice?
No, I went to my family Dr. because I thought I had a pulled groin that wouldn't heal. He took x-rays and said he would have to send me to the ortho. Its a sports medicine - orthopedic center for Scott & White in Central TX. I jammed my leg a few bad times riding dirt bikes and physically my leg will not move like it should. He will replace it as soon as I say go, just doesn't want me to outlive the replacement. I'm to the point of I'll worry about that in 25 years. I understand his concern. When it gets closer, I will definitely see what method he does. I might try some platelets this spring but insurance doesn't cover that because its an expirament with hips. I've had a steroid shot in it that last 2 springs but I can't do too many more as they actually deteriorate the cartridge. Probably will choose not to get the steroids anymore.

Did you have another suggestion? I'm not completely hobbled yet but some days are not fun

I was suggesting a second opinion. New eyes, new x-rays; that sort of thing. Doctors can make mistakes. Personal experience speaking.

I was suggesting a second opinion. New eyes, new x-rays; that sort of thing. Doctors can make mistakes. Personal experience speaking.
I haven't but now I might. I can see in the xray that there is no gap in the joint and sometimes it will catch and lockup so there is definitely something going on in there.

How you feeling? I'm in the same boat at 43 and need one as well (actually both but the left is much worse). Too much fun or stupidity as a youth I guess. The Dr. want's me to wait until I'm 50 but I don't think that's going to happen as some days I can barely put on a sock. Next time I meet with the ortho, I'm going to ask what method he uses. The idea of cutting you up as little as possible seems like a pretty good idea.
Sorry for the late answer. I got home today,should have been yesterday,but I felt a bit quizey,so they kept me a day longer. A bit sore and stiff but otherwise it is not too bad at all. I cant complain realy about pain at this stage and I think I can give that complainant to the expertise of my orthopaedic surgeon and definitely the AMIS method he used. The insision is about 4" long and like I said not much pain. And This is 4days later. I started walking with a walker the next day and the day after with crutches. Long road still but all is going good. It is just the stuffiness that I don't like much. Also swolen as I think I mentioned.

Sorry for the late answer. I got home today,should have been yesterday,but I felt a bit quizey,so they kept me a day longer. A bit sore and stiff but otherwise it is not too bad at all. I cant complain realy about pain at this stage and I think I can give that complainant to the expertise of my orthopaedic surgeon and definitely the AMIS method he used. The insision is about 4" long and like I said not much pain. And This is 4days later. I started walking with a walker the next day and the day after with crutches. Long road still but all is going good. It is just the stuffiness that I don't like much. Also swolen as I think I mentioned.
That's great news!

Sounds pretty much like what my friend said. If he's any indication, it won't be long before you even remember you had the surgery.

Regards

Good to hear Michael! :encourage:

-frank
ps -- I liked the bit in Afrikaans too. Only 40 of you left speaking it, eh... ;)

I'm glad you're home.
Good to hear that you are on the right road Michael. Keep it up!
Swelling will only go away with time and stiffness only with motion.

Brian

Back