Need help with used pm1030v

The timing thing I will cast but need to face it and get the hole in center and the key way too. I am very novice :)

Oh and a feature to connect the shafts together but that can be done by sliding half of each axle to one auger element and use it to hold them together

I'd probably use aluminum for this. Couplers are available to hook shafts together.

McMaster-Carr is a great source for this kind of stuff.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/shaft-collars/

John

Oh and a feature to connect the shafts together but that can be done by sliding half of each axle to one auger element and use it to hold them together
Also, lots of guys get old printers or copiers and harvest shafts out of them.

John

Dang I am cheap. I was thinking of using the auger as the coupler.

Is the 3/4 schedule 40 good for machining or should I am schedule 40 as starting material

I am reading about one shot oil system, is it applicable to small lathes like the 1030v?

Dang I am cheap. I was thinking of using the auger as the coupler.

This does not sound like a high precision project! Also sounds like it will not wear out very fast. So soft material will work fine.

I would make this thing out of PVC pipes and fittings. You can get several sizes for few $ at the plumbing/hardware store. If it needs to be longer than the lathe, or needs to have a strange shape, then just glue two together .... after turning ... and external couplers are available. By the way, this is a nice material to start learning with and machines nicely. I have used this for all sorts of things. You can also purchase caps, couplers, reducers, etc and can machine them into all sorts of shapes. I have even glued parts together to make them thicker etc and then machined them. PVC is soft and so almost any tool out of any metal will work as cutting tool. Using a piece of soft steel or mild steel or a tool steel to make tools works ok. It is an excellent way to start to learn how to grind a cutting edge or point.

Dave L.

This does not sound like a high precision project! Also sounds like it will not wear out very fast. So soft material will work fine.

I would make this thing out of PVC pipes and fittings. You can get several sizes for few $ at the plumbing/hardware store. If it needs to be longer than the lathe, or needs to have a strange shape, then just glue two together .... after turning ... and external couplers are available. By the way, this is a nice material to start learning with and machines nicely. I have used this for all sorts of things. You can also purchase caps, couplers, reducers, etc and can machine them into all sorts of shapes. I have even glued parts together to make them thicker etc and then machined them. PVC is soft and so almost any tool out of any metal will work as cutting tool. Using a piece of soft steel or mild steel or a tool steel to make tools works ok. It is an excellent way to start to learn how to grind a cutting edge or point.

Dave L.
Thanks a lot. I though of pvc and if I use it will be limited in cleaning etc. so it will not be convinient. I might be overdoing it but I want to make it as simple and fast to clean/maintain as possible. I will use pcv to learn the ropes as it an excellent idea and cheap to a certain point.

One shot oiler not needed for this machine. Just use an oil can or even a squeeze bottle.

Back