New model of a small mill coming, some manufacturing pics from the factory to look at.

A 728V-T in the wild!

Initial impressions of setup and making chips would be great. And lots of pics please. We love machine pics. :D

@AlanB

Congratulations on your new mill! If you have close up photos, I’d love to see them to judge the fit and finish.

I certainly did not expect to be the first to post pictures. This is Matt's thread so I should not take it over, but I understand the interest in some more photos of this nice new mill. I'm still struggling with getting this onto the workbench, so I haven't done more than run it for a couple of minutes. I have it sitting on a hydraulic lift table so I can get it to the necessary height (with a little help from the pallet) but getting it over to the workbench and getting the drip pan underneath it are challenges yet to go. This is the only closeup I have grabbed so far, but I would say the fit and finish are a definite step up from my old Grizzly G0516. There is a safety microswitch on the belt cover, but there is access to the drawbar without opening the cover via removing the circular cap.

I had it held at the freight terminal and picked it up on my utility trailer which is much easier to maneuver right to the garage door, and much lower than a truck bed to get it out of. The folks at Saia freight were very helpful and we removed the pallet underneath the crate there. The vise was banded to the top of the crate and the crate banded to the pallet. I screwed a 2x4 to the trailer bed in front of the crate to insure it did not move forward under braking and put 5 straps over it to the steel frame of the trailer. Four of the straps were rated 700 pounds working load, the fifth much higher. Shipping weight was 600 pounds total including a vise and a few accessories. It did not move or loosen at all during the 30 mile freeway trip home in heavy traffic (but some folks followed further back than usual). :)

The unit was well packed and I haven't found any shipping damage so far.

I did not find a manual in the box, I think they are still writing it.

The drip pan is sheet metal, nicely finished and fairly lightweight. Most everything is covered in oil, seems to be the oil from the oiling system. I pumped it twice and lots more oil came out, clearly that system is working and two pumps are more than needed.

I did loosen the motor and tighten the belt a little, it was pretty loose. The included tools are few but better quality than I've had before.

20191227_165734.jpg

Last edited:
Are they restricted from import, or just too costly to bring 'down under'?

No not restricted, and even freight from Taiwan is not so high,we are much closer than you are, but we do have high import duties. My lathe came from Taiwan

The problem is we don't have many importers, probably largely because of our much smaller population. There is no importer dedicated to the hobby market like PM. I got mine from an industrial supplier and it's the smallest machine they can get. they don't carry them in stock it was special order. They do carry some larger models of the same brands.

Some of the big box hardware stores carry the smaller machines, but they are only Chinese junk and poorly presented, they don't usually have anyone on staff that knows anything about them

Using a Lift Table and a Friend to move the machine onto the Workbench. The HDPE cutting board makes it easy to slide around. The side of the crate's base was cut away to facilitate the job. Sliding it over wasn't too hard, and once on the HDPE I can slide it myself.

20191229_112334.jpg

Last edited:
Back