New PM-25MV Mill

This is great! Love the sliding doors and the chip tray. Looks like a commercial machine like a Haas! (Love the lizard also. We have them)
Robert

Am I crazy, or does it look like the enclosure is open on either side of the column? Would it not throw chips out the back?

Am I crazy, or does it look like the enclosure is open on either side of the column? Would it not throw chips out the back?
Not crazy, the enclosure stops just short of the width of the base in the back. This was meant to compensate for the lack of welding and fabrication skill needed for a tight fit. It was also done to keep the depth of the enclosure to 24". Making it just 2 inches longer made the materials significantly more expensive and would require a lot more cutting. It is sealed using heavy plastic (like a shower curtain) while I work on an adjustable sheet metal piece to seal it up properly. So far, there haven't been any issues with chips escaping out the back.

I am almost done with the new hardware for the X and Y axes. The goal was to protect the motors and coupler area better so they aren't always covered in chips. This will also be more important when I add flood coolant. The clearpath motors do not have water proof connections, so they can't be getting wet. The new hardware protects everything on all sides except the bottom. The new x axis will also have built in connections to supply power and air to the 4th axis (or pneumatic vise if I ever make something like that).

I also have a hankering for a new spindle. I think the current one could be much more rigid, smooth, and quiet. I think something that causes less vibration at high speeds could significantly improve surface finishes. I have been working on a design that would only require a little bit of modification to the current head to secure it. The new spindle would have 3 bearings (2x 7007 for the bottom and 1x 6906 bearing for the top. I am planning for around 10,000 RPM again, though hopefully much smoother running and no issues with pullout if I want to make heavier roughing cuts.

The new spindle is a little bit narrow once it gets into the head. That is to match the current spindle OD and avoid needing to make a new head or try to bore out the current one.
gYDlxnf.png

jStq0on.png

The new one will use 2 bearings on the lower end instead of just one, and they will be preloaded against each other. The bottom of the spindle is also much closer to the bottom of the bearings compared to the current spindle. Even with the flange and mountain adapter, the spindle sticks out slightly less.
d8HsQ3d.png

Here is the plan with the new X and Y hardware, as well as the new spindle in the head.
raievLb.png

I would be happy to hear opinions and ideas, especially if you see something that would keep this from working well.

NICE! Looks like your going for a BT30 spindle? Cut2Cut and I were discussing this about a month ago, so I'm super interested to see what you come up with.

PZ

I'm really been toying around with a 10-12k rpm spindle for a benchtop sized machine. Did a lot of research and analysis. Was going to post on here at some point, but maybe now is as good a time as any. Would you like if I created a new post in the CNC projects area to specifically discuss the design? Maybe together we can come up with some compelling designs.

EDIT: Design Looks great BTW.

Last edited:
NICE! Looks like your going for a BT30 spindle? Cut2Cut and I were discussing this about a month ago, so I'm super interested to see what you come up with.

PZ
Yes, I am thinking BT30 so I can have a pull stud for better tool retention and the much larger availability and variety of tooling.

I'm really been toying around with a 10-12k rpm spindle for a benchtop sized machine. Did a lot of research and analysis. Was going to post on here at some point, but maybe now is as good a time as any. Would you like if I created a new post in the CNC projects area to specifically discuss the design? Maybe together we can come up with some compelling designs.

EDIT: Design Looks great BTW.
Sounds good to me, I am happy to share the design and the more input the better.

Back