New PM-728V-T Mill

Same here. What do you guys think about the 16mm Z axis ball screw? Do you think it's sufficient for the Z axis load?
My conversion kit showed up late last night, but haven't had time to open it yet. Waiting for the shed to warm up.

The analysis Alan pointed to looks complete. There are a lot of factors going into "is 16mm large enough". As in most design many of the factors are fuzzy. For my one off designs the cost (time) in doing these calcs is more than the cost ($) of going up a size. So, if I did the conversion myself I'd go with a larger ball screw (if it fits). Is it needed? I dunno. But, PM took enough time releasing the kit that they could/should have done these calcs (and tested, and tested, and...). For a production design I'd be surprised if they didn't. Thus, I'll assume their kit (with 16mm Z ball screw) is OK until it gives trouble.

Exciting times. Stay safe and healthy.

Hugh

My conversion kit showed up late last night, but haven't had time to open it yet. Waiting for the shed to warm up.

The analysis Alan pointed to looks complete. There are a lot of factors going into "is 16mm large enough". As in most design many of the factors are fuzzy. For my one off designs the cost (time) in doing these calcs is more than the cost ($) of going up a size. So, if I did the conversion myself I'd go with a larger ball screw (if it fits). Is it needed? I dunno. But, PM took enough time releasing the kit that they could/should have done these calcs (and tested, and tested, and...). For a production design I'd be surprised if they didn't. Thus, I'll assume their kit (with 16mm Z ball screw) is OK until it gives trouble.

Exciting times. Stay safe and healthy.

Hugh
Probably big enough but for the 'small' increase in cost I would have thought they would have gone with 20mm. Plenty of room.

jimrk - Did you use the ClearPath DC Power Distribution Hub? If so, what did you use for backup 24volts?

Also on the ClearPath servos for X and Y did you buy the Enhanced Option(Enhanced option provides position setting capability of 1/6400th of a revolution. The Regular option is 1/800th)?

New to the converting to CNC and have a million questions.

Thanks,

Jerry

jimrk - Did you use the ClearPath DC Power Distribution Hub? If so, what did you use for backup 24volts?

Also on the ClearPath servos for X and Y did you buy the Enhanced Option(Enhanced option provides position setting capability of 1/6400th of a revolution. The Regular option is 1/800th)?

New to the converting to CNC and have a million questions.

Thanks,

Jerry
Yes to the Hub. You do need 24v to power the Hub (not backup). I have other power supplies for 5, 12, and 24.
I did not opt for the Enhanced servos (might be worth the $ but I didn't think I will need it) With what you will be spending I guess a little more might be the 'smart' thing to do.

Have fun :)

Thanks jimrk!

Well I'm just starting down the spendy and exciting road to a CNC mill.

Deposit on PM-728VT, should be Feb/Mar. Bought the PM-CNC conversion kit and 0-10v speed controller. Those two pieces should be here Thursday.

I did purchase the Acorn kit and the Pro Mill software from Centroid.

I placed all my components in the Shopping cart at Technik. That was spendy, but good stuff. Still have to pull the trigger there.

Now comes the computer and Touch screen monitor. Anybody have some good recommendations that they are using? Anybody using a laptop with Touch Screen? I see B&H has an Asus 21.5 touch screen for $199. I see you can still buy an Intel Nuc. I'm sure there has to be some small desktops that could do the job.

What are the models of PC/monitor from Dell that Centroid sales?

I may just have to look at specs and make a purchase.

Thanks,

Jerry

20210111_125829.jpg

I have a few Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p Tiny machines. One on the lathe and one on the mill. Seem to work fine. Did upgrade one to a SSD. Have not pushed them so not sure if needed. The lathe has a touch screen (ebay) and the mill is a monitor I had just sitting around. I have both the lathe and mill next to each other so should be able to share both PC and monitor (just switch the ethernet cable and config swap but have not done that) Need heat in my shop to get things going :(

I bought a NUC with an i5-8260U cpu, 16GB ram, 256GB SSD. It was a $1k PC that was half off for Black Friday. I'm sure there are cheaper options. I wanted something with as much power as possible to run Fusion360.

If you look on Centroid's web site they list the minimum specs for the PC.

Also, if you buy a NUC there's a VESA mounting bracket you can buy that will allow it to be bolted to the back of the monitor. It was like $13 on Amazon.

I got this Nuc:

Intel NUC 8i7BEK Mini Desktop, Intel Quad-Core i7-8559U Upto 4.5GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, HDMI, Thunderbolt 3, Card Reader, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Windows 10 Pro

Can run Fusion, Centroid Mill Pro, SheetCam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the responses!

I think I'm going with Koenbro NUC. It has the Intel Iris plus 655 graphics. I dont know for sure how much difference the Intel Iris makes, but Koenbro replied that he is running Fusion, Centroid Mill Pro and Sheetcam. Sounds good to me.

I also like Chris mentioning the VESA bracket.

Jerry

Back