New PM-728V-T Mill

Matt at PM said that delivery would be from mid to late January..... so it could be any day now. Did you order any accessories with the machine? If you did, they would have to wait till all are available before they ship it out to you.
I did. I'm guessing I'll probably be waiting on the clamping kit and vise, since those are both showing as available on backorder. I wonder if I could just pay to have those shipped separately so I could get the machine sooner. Definitely champing at the bit here!

I did. I'm guessing I'll probably be waiting on the clamping kit and vise, since those are both showing as available on backorder. I wonder if I could just pay to have those shipped separately so I could get the machine sooner. Definitely champing at the bit here!
I'm sure that a possibility that they can accommodate for you.... However if you ordered your with the DRO like me you would have to wait till they install the DRO before shipping it out.
Will you be using the R8 collet system or adapt to the Tormach TTS system. I myself is thinking the Tormach TTS.

I have one on order since early December w/DRO and feel your chomp.
I heard many orders and builds are in process, depends on place in line, and the PM staff are very happy and busy. Seems the PM728 is a huge hit.

Last edited:
I'm sure that a possibility that they can accommodate for you.... However if you ordered your with the DRO like me you would have to wait till they install the DRO before shipping it out.
Will you be using the R8 collet system or adapt to the Tormach TTS system. I myself is thinking the Tormach TTS.
I ordered a DRO as well, so my hope has been that the vise and clamping kit will come in before the machine is ready to go. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I'll probably stick with R8 collets for now because I like how low-profile they are. I'm planning on doing some work that may stretch the Z height available, so I'll need every inch I can get. A lot of my workholding accessories are also quite oversized for the machine, so I need to save Z height to accommodate that (e.g. sine table, dividing head). I've been eyeing a spindle lock from Priest Tools as a way to make tool changes easier to make up for it.

I'll definitely have some stock to play with once it gets here, although I've exhausted my fun budget for the next few months...

Attachments

• PXL_20210122_001140290.jpg
    PXL_20210122_001140290.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 151
Nice plate of metal for the 728. This hobby sure expands the mind in project opportunities. :eagerness:

I ordered a DRO as well, so my hope has been that the vise and clamping kit will come in before the machine is ready to go. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I'll probably stick with R8 collets for now because I like how low-profile they are. I'm planning on doing some work that may stretch the Z height available, so I'll need every inch I can get. A lot of my workholding accessories are also quite oversized for the machine, so I need to save Z height to accommodate that (e.g. sine table, dividing head). I've been eyeing a spindle lock from Priest Tools as a way to make tool changes easier to make up for it.

I'll definitely have some stock to play with once it gets here, although I've exhausted my fun budget for the next few months...
Definitely we are on the same boat with the DRO, Vise, Collets etc etc... happy waiting!!! So it look like I will be getting the factory stand with 728. I am also think of all tree of the Priest Tools Spindle Lock, Spindle Stop and the Power Lift!!!! buy more than two items you 10 percent off!! BTW where did you get your stocks from?

Definitely we are on the same boat with the DRO, Vise, Collets etc etc... happy waiting!!! So it look like I will be getting the factory stand with 728. I am also think of all tree of the Priest Tools Spindle Lock, Spindle Stop and the Power Lift!!!! buy more than two items you 10 percent off!! BTW where did you get your stocks from?
Ahh, I'm quite jealous. I'd love to get all three at some point.

I got my stock from a local industrial surplus store in Utah. Lots of offcuts of all kinds (mostly steel and stainless), including some Invar 36 that was there this last time. I buy most of my large stock from there and just buy the small stuff from places like McMaster. Steel is $.50 a pound, so it definitely helps make big projects more feasible! There are probably similar places in your neck of the woods.

Ahh, I'm quite jealous. I'd love to get all three at some point.

I got my stock from a local industrial surplus store in Utah. Lots of offcuts of all kinds (mostly steel and stainless), including some Invar 36 that was there this last time. I buy most of my large stock from there and just buy the small stuff from places like McMaster. Steel is $.50 a pound, so it definitely helps make big projects more feasible! There are probably similar places in your neck of the woods.
What is the name of the Industrial surplus store? Might be worth driving 55 miles.

What is the name of the Industrial surplus store? Might be worth driving 55 miles.
Hey fellow Utahn! It's called NPS Industrial. I think there might be a location in Orem, but I go to the Salt Lake one. Their stock is pretty variable, but apparently it's been quite good recently. It's also a pretty good place to get weird taps (especially spiral fluted ones) for a decent price. Best to bring good gloves with you, because everything is kind of filthy and the metal often has sharp burrs from saw cuts.

Edit: the Orem location probably doesn't have metal. It definitely appears a lot less "industrial."

Hey fellow Utahn! It's called NPS Industrial. I think there might be a location in Orem, but I go to the Salt Lake one. Their stock is pretty variable, but apparently it's been quite good recently. It's also a pretty good place to get weird taps (especially spiral fluted ones) for a decent price. Best to bring good gloves with you, because everything is kind of filthy and the metal often has sharp burrs from saw cuts.

Edit: the Orem location probably doesn't have metal. It definitely appears a lot less "industrial."
Thanks Badabinski! I'll have to stop there the next time I head north. I'll check out the Orem location just in case they do carry metal.

Back