New Possibilities for CNC Machine Tools using Gerbyl Machine Programmer

PabloMack,

I understand that an advantage of rotating the headstock on a Sherline lathe when cutting a taper manually on a short piece is greater rigidity. Using the compound slide reduces the rigidity of the cutting tool.

I have an application in which I want to bore holes with a diametical taper of 0.001 inch per inch of hole length. I plan to achieve the taper on the lathe by rotating the headstock slightly. Does CNC have the resolution to do this without rotating the headstock?

An advantage of being able to rotate the headstock on the mill is that the headstock can be rotated ninety degrees, for horizontal milling. I have a copy of the book The Home Machinist's Handbook (1983), by Doug Briney. It is one of my guides for learning how to machine. It is illustrated with a Sherline lathe and mill. It contains projects. One of the projects is on making an angle plate. The directions include turning the headstock ninety degrees, to fly cut a vertical surface.

Karl

Last edited:
I have an application in which I want to bore holes with a diametical taper of 0.001 inch per inch of hole length. I plan to achieve the taper on the lathe by rotating the headstock slightly. Does CNC have the resolution to do this without rotating the headstock?
My machines are metric so the calculations are a bit different. Metric machines move the axis 1mm per revolution of the lead screw. My stepper motors have 200 steps per rotation and the controller supports 8 micro-steps. So that gives me 0.000625mm per micro-step. An imperial machine has 20 threads per inch which means that one rotation of the hand wheel gives you 0.05 inches. So if you have a similar stepper motor and controller, one micro-step would give you 0.00003125 inches or 0.03125 thousandths resolution. It doesn't matter how you set your headstock. Of course there is backlash so you will never get the theoretical resolution and I'm sure you know as much as I do about that subject.

Last edited:
Here's a calculation of the step size of the surface of the bore after cutting with the headstock turned to give taper of 0.0005 inch radius per 1 inch length, assuming a 0.007 inch nose-radius boring tool fed at 0.0035 inch per spindle revolution:

(0.0005 inch / inch length) X (0.0035 inch length /spindle revolution) = 0.000001750 inch per spindle revolution, or 0.00175 thousandths.

The ratio of the maximum resolution of an imperial CNC machine and the step from my calculation from rotating the headstock is 0.03125 thousantdhs divided by 0.00175 thousandths, or 18.

Last edited:
I think that the roughness left by the radius of the boring tool would dwarf the difference in roughness between using CNC to achieve the taper and rotating the headstock to achieve the taper.

PabloMack,

Sometimes Jerbyl Machine Programmer has a "G" instead of a "J". It's "Gerbyl" in the title of the pdf. It's "Gerbil" on your website. It's a little confusing. I also wonder whether naming the program any version of "Jerbyl" might be confusing being that the firmware GRBL is pronounced the same way.

Do you plan to market your software?

I have not heard or read of someone using a CNC rotary table as the headstock of a lathe, for making threads. To me, it seems clever and elegant.

Karl

Last edited:
Sometimes Jerbyl Machine Programmer has a "G" instead of a "J". It's "Gerbyl" in the title of the pdf. It's "Gerbil" on your website. It's a little confusing. I also wonder whether naming the program any version of "Jerbyl" might be confusing being that the firmware GRBL is pronounced the same way.

Do you plan to market your software?

I have not heard or read of someone using a CNC rotary table as the headstock of a lathe, for making threads. To me, it seems clever and elegant.
Thank you Karl for pointing out my oversight, I changed the name in the title of
the PDF so that it now is spelled Jerbyl. I also advanced the date in the file name
to reflect the change. The program could be pronounced as Jer-Bill instead
of Jerbuhl and that might help some. Another thing that could be done is that
the software is called Jerbyl Machine Programmer and its executable is JMP.EXE.
It could be pronounced as "Jump" and that might serve to alleviate the
confusion. I will also change the spelling on the website so that it will match.
My intent is to obsolete the spelling "Gerbil".

I have created a YouTube channel called "Jerbyl Machinist". It was originally
"Gerbil Machinist" but I changed the name for reasons discussed here.

I read that the suggested pronunciation of GRBL by the author himself was "Garble".
So the two should not be confused in that way. The name of the Jerbyl software was
inspired by GRBL because that subsystem is used for control by the software. I decided
to change the name of the software in order to emphasize pronunciation with a "J"
sound as in "Joker" and not a hard "G" sound as in Google (or Garble or even Gurble).
I have seen YouTube videos of people pronouncing GRBL as Jerble and I'm sure they
are not aware of its author's intended pronunciation. In my mind "Jerbyl" and "Garble"
or even "Gurble" should be different enough in both spelling and pronunciation to avoid
confusion. But I intended them to be related at the same time from the start. It was my
failure to make all of the changes everywhere it exists on the Internet.

The logo of the software is that of the rodent's name and I have never seen GRBL
associated with the rodent. So the likeness is intended but this is at risk of
confusion. If users end up calling it "Jump" then that will be okay with me.

To answer your question, it is my intent to commercialize it for sale at some point.
Right now I am having so much fun with it making things and such, I know that
having users would inevitably take some of the fun out of it. Because I am a
programmer myself, I feel it is the primary way that machines should be
controlled when you, the machinist, know what the geometries are so you know
how you want your tool paths to be. This especially applies to modifications
of existing parts since CAD programs virtually insist on making the whole
thing from a block of raw stock. It is more artistic/organic sorts of creations
where you would need a CAD program to turn a model into a hard copy. The
programming would just be too cumbersome and, therefore, far too much
work. But 95% of the things I've done are based on simple geometries so
I think that JMP is the ideal way to go in a great many projects.

I spent the last few of days rewriting the arc control software because, I
think, those features never fully made it into the current version. The next
project I am planning to do depends on it and it is now working in the
current version.

One feature that was in the first version and never made it into the newest
version is a function that will import geometry from an OBJ 3D model file
and automatically produce code that will cut a profile on a lathe. I made
one chess piece using this feature and it is sitting on a mantle next to some
other much older chess pieces I made as a teenager around the year 1970.
The "lathe" I used to make them was made from an electric can-opener
motor with some bent coat-hanger wire that I shaped with a pair of pliers.
My cutter was a kitchen knife. See attached photo. The six pieces on the
left I made over half a century ago. The one on the right was made using
an earlier version of JMP. It still has not be cut off its base, sanded and
finished. I designed a full set of models in Lightwave 3D but only made
the Queen (out of oak). The older pieces are made from fallen branches
of a tree (perhaps elm) from our property in Denver where I grew up. I
aborted the project of doing a whole chess set using CNC after deciding
to do a full rewrite of the software (twice).

Paul

Attachments

• ChessPieces.JPG
    ChessPieces.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Paul,

I think that "Jerbyl" is sufficiently different from "GRBL", especially after you explained that the author of GRBL intended it to be referred to as "garble".

I hope that you do sell Jerbyl Machine Programmer. (Being that you told us about it and its advantages, it would seem unfair if you don't.)

Your making the chess pieces using an improvised lathe as a teenager reminds me of my building a steam engine without a lathe when I was 14 years old. I checked out the book The Boys' Book of Engines, Motors and Turbines by Alfred Morgan from my high-school library for a summer. The book assumed that the reader had access to a lathe. I didn't. I improvised parts and materials from various sources. For example, I cast the flywheel and crankshaft out of lead from old wheel weights. The engine never ran.

Karl

Last edited:
I hope that you do sell Jerbyl Machine Programmer. (Being that you told us about it and its advantages, it would seem unfair if you don't.)

There are a few features that I really need to add before Jerbyl is ready for prime time.
One is to store the program file in a format that is relatively immune to version updates.
Another is to add some text copy and paste features that should be relatively easy to do.
Your making the chess pieces using an improvised lathe as a teenager reminds me of my building a steam engine without a lathe when I was 14 years old. I checked out the book The Boys' Book of Engines, Motors and Turbines by Alfred Morgan from my high-school library for a summer. The book assumed that the reader had access to a lathe. I didn't. I improvised parts and materials from various sources. For example, I cast the flywheel and crankshaft out of lead from old wheel weights. The engine never ran.
I had a similar but much more naive experience in 4th grade. A friend of mine and I told
our science teacher we were going to build a steam engine. The teacher just humored us.
My friend already had a working commercially produced toy one. We were going to use
tin cans and their lids as pistons. He was certainly driving the project and I was just tagging
along. Of course we had little concept of tolerances and couldn't see that the steam was
going to easily escape and result in insignificant forces on the piston. I think I already
knew it wasn't going to work but my friend was more aggressive than I was so I just went
along with it. The transmission was beyond both of us. But we had fun thinking about it so
it was worth the time spent. The experience was also another first for me. He showed me
some of his dads "hidden" Playboy magazines.

Last edited:
Back