New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

Sounds like you have this well thought out. Your shop sounds like it is going to be set up the right way.

Scaled layout plan so far. Doors not shown, but the center of the right side is the 10x10 garage door, I'm trying to keep an isle from there open to run the loader/forks in out for moving things. PDF version attached (may be SLIGHTLY more legible). Machines are oriented so text is upright when facing machine in operator position
layout2.jpg

Five main areas
1) Top Left: Large machines, 3 phase distribution
2) Bottom Left: General machining work area
3) Top Right: Stock, sawing and surface grinding
4) bottom right: Welding/fab area
5) center bottom: office space, surface plate, computers, metrology

Attachments

• layout3.pdf
    116.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
This space looks so big vacant, but when you start filling in all this stuff it starts getting cramped fast.
Slightly more detailed layout.
Yellow is windows.
Red is electrical features
Green is bridge crane uprights.

Attachments

• layout4.pdf
    172.9 KB · Views: 14
This space looks so big vacant, but when you start filling in all this stuff it starts getting cramped fast.
Slightly more detailed layout.
Yellow is windows.
Red is electrical features
Green is bridge crane uprights.
amazing isn't it.

@rabler

On the layout, how do you visualize using the isolated corners created by the placement of the 612, the K&T and the VMC?

I understand that the layout is a work in progress, but it looks like those areas are substantial square footage with very limited access.

I don't remember if this has been discussed before, regarding the bridge uprights, were any special provisions incorporated in the slab configuration for additional support at those locations?

@rabler

On the layout, how do you visualize using the isolated corners created by the placement of the 612, the K&T and the VMC?

I understand that the layout is a work in progress, but it looks like those areas are substantial square footage with very limited access.

I don't remember if this has been discussed before, regarding the bridge uprights, were any special provisions incorporated in the slab configuration for additional support at those locations?
Corners: storage for lathe and mill tooling, toolcarts, etc. Misc knooks and crannies will fill up. Nature abhors a vacuum.

Crane: no additional provisions. I’m only planning on 1 or 1.5 ton max load. Will bolt and grout a 6” x 12” plate for each leg base. The big machines will create more loading issues. Only real concern is impact loads if the bridge hits the end of run

@rabler

I should add having room off the end of the 612 in both directions is intentional. Turning either through the headstock or via a steady rest can lead to something extending past the lathe footprint. I also found out the hard way that taking the apron apart requires a fair amount of room off the tailstock end of the lathe to remove the leadscrew and other various apron rods. I have had to move that lathe around quite a bit, and moving 5 ton machines is not trivial, so I'm hoping to avoid that ;)

Ok, this captures pretty much everything I have in mind.
I added the in-floor outlets (red circles). That effected placement of a few things.
Also added the overhead crane tracks.
The track closer to the entry doors (right side) is going to a single beam trolley rather than a full bridge crane. Budget and constraints on post placement. That one will probably be limited to 500 lbs due to the long span, engineering on that TBD. Alternately (and probably a more likely solution) I may just span the stock rack and horizontal bandsaw with a rolling gantry crane. Big concern is picking up heavy stock and setting it on the horizontal bandsaw. 3" diameter 10' piece of cold-rolled is awkward and backbreaking.

Attachments

• layout4.pdf
    209.4 KB · Views: 17
General lighting plan is to use fourteen 8’LED tubes which can be ganged end to end up to three. They are rated for 8000 lumens each, color selectable for 3000, 4000, or 5000k. 80 watts per fixture, or 1120 watts total, on a dedicated 15 amp circuit. Or 50 lumens per sq ft. I’m doing three rows parallel to the long axis of the building. The center row is on one switch group. The outside rows on the front side are on another switch group, and the outside rows for the back are on a third group. Each group is switchable via 3/4 way switches from the front door, back door or office door.

I’m also planning on a lighting circuit for the back bench (lower left) on the 7’ shelf, to eliminate shadows and provide brighter light there.
I haven’t worked out the exact setup for office lighting but probably three 4’ LED tubes at about 12000 lumens total.

That should be sufficient lighting.

I have been reading a lot about LED lighting effecting electronics. One story was actually from a friend of mine who has his own hanger and plane. He said his emergency locator (not sure of the actual name) in the plane kept going off and alert Search and Rescue. Got to the point that he knew the dispatchers by first name. His club had a get together and a tech was there from I think another locator mfg. Got to discussing the issue, since the locators cannot be switched off seem the LED lights in his home hanger were activating it. They determined that they had to add more shielding and move the antenna farther from the unit.

Not sure if it would have any affect on your electronic equipment or systems, I only mention this as you have indicated that you do electronics.

For me and my competition shooting, my Sartorius lab grade scale is affected by just about everything including slight breeze (or breathing), vibration, looking at it wrong, cell phones and fluorescent lighting. The phone and lighting can cause it to wonder. When you are measuring powder down to the hundredths of a grain (a single kernel is about 0.020+- Grains), having it wonder as much as 0.5 grains is a big deal. Also, since I am loading very close to the max, don't want to over charge.

Seems like there is a cause and affect for everything.

Rambling again.

Back