OT - Counterfeit Loctite?

It has been a few years ago. Ebay said he had delivered what was advertised and in good faith insured, he didn't control the USPS and it was the recipients responsibility to collect the insurance. I sent them a note from the USPS showing the item wasn't insured....
If the dispute goes beyond 30 days, basically one is hosed. I found one needs to escalate pretty quickly, because it is in the seller's favor to stall. It states clearly in the eBay fine print it is the responsibility of the seller to deliver the product as described in the listing. If the listing said it was functional, then the delivered product needs to function. In my successful return, I merely copied verbatim eBay's text about their responsibilities. Effectively, they had to agree with me, since it was their own published words.

I'm sorry that you didn't get commercial justice, think you got hosed. It was the responsibility of the seller to have had insurance - to protect him. He failed to do so. You were probably not offered the chance to buy insurance. Where you?
It was also the responsibility of eBay to ensure you got the product as described in the listing. I'd be pretty ****** myself.

I contested a bait and switch listing for a small carbide boring bar and got my money back. I showed pictures of the listing and what I got and said it was not as listed, and inferior to the listing. eBay let me keep the boring bar and I got my money back. That's because of the asymmetric shipping costs between the US & China, it was more expensive to ship back from the US to China, than the part was worth. In any case, I got to keep the cheesy 6mm boring bar. It does work, but it's nowhere near as rigid as the bar that was shown in the listing.

Also got crap from a vendor, but upon reflection, it was as described and no more. That was a life lesson, don't read anything into something that isn't there, or written down.

I did get screwed on an MT4 to MT2 adapter sleeve. Had it a while (more than 30 days) and decided to use it. The MT4 taper was ridiculously far off. It only contacted with a 1mm wide ring at the mouth of the spindle of my lathe. It slipped and partially scarred the internal taper of my lathe. I had to repair the scar. And I never got my money back. I later measured it and it was nowhere near the right taper. Rather disappointing. Still don't have a replacement sleeve.

Overall, I have done ok on eBay, it has been a net gain, with only a few failures. But then again, I have not bought anything truly expensive on eBay. All my purchases have been under $250. Over that amount, I want a lot more assurances that the product will show up and be what I though it was.

If you paid by Credit Card, then you can bring this up with your CC company. Most are very Customer biased when it comes to things like this.

If you paid by Credit Card, then you can bring this up with your CC company. Most are very Customer biased when it comes to things like this.
Naw, paid with Paypal. No big deal, I've contacted the seller. I'm sure they'll be issuing a refund. Otherwise I'll be letting eBay know about it. And, of course there's always negative feedback.

It took a bit of coaxing and the promise to leave positive feedback, but the seller refunded the full amount. First the offered 20%, but I wasn't having it. They also changed their listing, it no longer says Loctite. They obviously knew it was deceptive, the picture in the listing did not show the label with LOCTTLF. Feedback will be positive but truthful.

It took a bit of coaxing and the promise to leave positive feedback, but the seller refunded the full amount. First the offered 20%, but I wasn't having it. They also changed their listing, it no longer says Loctite. They obviously knew it was deceptive, the picture in the listing did not show the label with LOCTTLF. Feedback will be positive but truthful.
Don't be too easy. The seller is currently listing the same product with the LocTite brand. https://www.ebay.com/itm/185696801956?hash=item2b3c6454a4:g:J-0AAOSwP65kIQfE

Both eBay and Amazon are places seem to offer stuff from some shady suppliers. Neither seem to heavily police their sellers. Best you can do is report the offending listings, to them or the FBI. Purveying in counterfeit goods is still a federal crime, as far as I know. If it's a knockoff of a known brand, I suppose you could report it to the brand, as they have the most to lose.

Both eBay and Amazon are places seem to offer stuff from some shady suppliers. Neither seem to heavily police their sellers. Best you can do is report the offending listings, to them or the FBI.

Not true. The best you can do is not shop at Amazon, the killer of local businesses and the sole pipeline to the richest space tourist on the planet. Buy at McMaster or Grainger or anywhere but Amazon or eBay. It might cost what, a dollar or two more? So what, at least it's guaranteed. Thrifty online shopping is how we got into this awful retail situation in the first place. Actions have consequences. Shop better.

Both eBay and Amazon are places seem to offer stuff from some shady suppliers. Neither seem to heavily police their sellers. Best you can do is report the offending listings, to them or the FBI. Purveying in counterfeit goods is still a federal crime, as far as I know. If it's a knockoff of a known brand, I suppose you could report it to the brand, as they have the most to lose.
Report it to Henkel; the manufacturers of Loctite (think that's how they spell it). They and a few others are pretty serious about their reputation. Some have even gone to considerable trouble and expense to nail counterfeiting scum.
Won't cost you a cent to point the specific ad out to them.

Not true. The best you can do is not shop at Amazon, the killer of local businesses and the sole pipeline to the richest space tourist on the planet. Buy at McMaster or Grainger or anywhere but Amazon or eBay. It might cost what, a dollar or two more? So what, at least it's guaranteed. Thrifty online shopping is how we got into this awful retail situation in the first place. Actions have consequences. Shop better.
I agree. I don't usually shop Amazon. They are more of a last resort. McMaster is mostly competitive, and they are a stand up company, very good product and great service.

Just as a side note, I did report Amazon to a manufacturer, stating they were selling counterfeit versions of their product. Never got an acknowledgement from the manufacturer, nor any information from them to confirm if the item was genuine. Was disappointing.

Back