OT - Counterfeit Loctite?

For what it's worth, some or most of you might know this, but in case you don't-

Henkel/Loctite are well aware of the "impostor" situation going on. One thing that Loctite does, as well as legitimate competing brands of similar products, is they make performance and engineering specifications available. Does that matter in a home shop? Honestly, "probably" not. In nearly all cases, in a home shop environment, nobody's doing engineering calculations that require this, it's just a reactive or proactive decision to add "a little help" to a joint (thread, press fit, "missed" press fit, etc. But there's no calculations involved, it's just a little help that's being subjectively applied. It's hard to know what the right solution is when you don't even know what the failure mode is that caused a fastener or press pin to come loose, and so you don't even know that a retaining compound is a plausible solution, but "it can't hurt"... In that case, some of the generic, even "look alike" and borderline or fully counterfeit imitations may well do what needs to be done. To my knowledge, they'll "lock" to some degree. How strong? how much gap can they fill, how temperature resistant, how oil or solvent resistant are they both before and after they've cured... Who knows. But I believe they'll all do "something". If that's adequate, (and it may legitimately be adequate...) and you don't mind supporting business that work this way, that's a personal choice.

Henkel is very well aware of the problem. For the user's protection AND for their own protection, they've gone to putting a unique QR code on every single package of their retaining compounds that they sell, as well as engraving the actual container. (I'm not sure about the rest of the Loctite line, but definitely all of the retaining compounds). This allows you to verify the product you have is genuine, AND it kind of obligates you to "use" that QR code if you're doing something that's dependent on the specs and you want help from their engineering department (mostly industry stuff, not for hobbyists), and also if you want them to take any responsibility for a "bad batch", or other reasons why their product might not have lived up to it's claims. You can scan the QR code yourself, or you can take a picture and they'll figure it out for you.

They didn't add that level of authenticatrion because a few people are making knockoffs. They made that investrment and take on the ongoing expense because the counterfeiing is real, the misleading if not fully counterfeit labels of off brands is costing them money, the level of continuity of performance between brands using the same part or model numbers is real, and leaving them needing to be distinguished for the purposes of their legal responsibility, and their biggest customers (indusry...) absolutely need that service to cover their own liability. If the knockofffs were of comperable performance, there would be no need for industry to worry about liability for the products they use.

Not true. The best you can do is not shop at Amazon, the killer of local businesses and the sole pipeline to the richest space tourist on the planet. Buy at McMaster or Grainger or anywhere but Amazon or eBay. It might cost what, a dollar or two more? So what, at least it's guaranteed. Thrifty online shopping is how we got into this awful retail situation in the first place. Actions have consequences. Shop better.
I like to try the brick and mortar folks first. I do buy a few things from Amazon but that usually happens after I have exhausted other options. I deal with AJ Rod and Bass tools hear in Houston, #notsponsored, and find they carry low to high end spread of tooling at a reasonable price point and the guys behind the counter are knowledgeable (Many have worked with the tools) and help me with information based on what I am working on, which is worth a little extra cost.

For what it's worth, some or most of you might know this, but in case you don't-

Henkel/Loctite are well aware of the "impostor" situation going on. One thing that Loctite does, as well as legitimate competing brands of similar products, is they make performance and engineering specifications available. Does that matter in a home shop? Honestly, "probably" not. In nearly all cases, in a home shop environment, nobody's doing engineering calculations that require this, it's just a reactive or proactive decision to add "a little help" to a joint (thread, press fit, "missed" press fit, etc. But there's no calculations involved, it's just a little help that's being subjectively applied. It's hard to know what the right solution is when you don't even know what the failure mode is that caused a fastener or press pin to come loose, and so you don't even know that a retaining compound is a plausible solution, but "it can't hurt"... In that case, some of the generic, even "look alike" and borderline or fully counterfeit imitations may well do what needs to be done. To my knowledge, they'll "lock" to some degree. How strong? how much gap can they fill, how temperature resistant, how oil or solvent resistant are they both before and after they've cured... Who knows. But I believe they'll all do "something". If that's adequate, (and it may legitimately be adequate...) and you don't mind supporting business that work this way, that's a personal choice.

Henkel is very well aware of the problem. For the user's protection AND for their own protection, they've gone to putting a unique QR code on every single package of their retaining compounds that they sell, as well as engraving the actual container. (I'm not sure about the rest of the Loctite line, but definitely all of the retaining compounds). This allows you to verify the product you have is genuine, AND it kind of obligates you to "use" that QR code if you're doing something that's dependent on the specs and you want help from their engineering department (mostly industry stuff, not for hobbyists), and also if you want them to take any responsibility for a "bad batch", or other reasons why their product might not have lived up to it's claims. You can scan the QR code yourself, or you can take a picture and they'll figure it out for you.

They didn't add that level of authenticatrion because a few people are making knockoffs. They made that investrment and take on the ongoing expense because the counterfeiing is real, the misleading if not fully counterfeit labels of off brands is costing them money, the level of continuity of performance between brands using the same part or model numbers is real, and leaving them needing to be distinguished for the purposes of their legal responsibility, and their biggest customers (indusry...) absolutely need that service to cover their own liability. If the knockofffs were of comperable performance, there would be no need for industry to worry about liability for the products they use.
I did not know that; got a link to that info and thanks.

Fastenal had started selling a competing brand (not Chinese) but Henkel/Loctite told them they could no longer sell any of their products if Fastenal continued selling the competing one. Of course the competing one was considerably cheaper. So it's only Henkel/Loctite now.

I did not know that; got a link to that info and thanks.

I don't have a link. I got it in a letter under the glass countertop at my local bearing shop. Thus far I've got one bottle at work which has the new bottle. Online retailers are kinda maby starting to update pictures here and there. I kinda meant to have that line in the novel I wrote above, but I guess I trimmed out a little more then I meant to when I realized how long it got. Anyhow, it's a slow rollout I guess, they're not getting rid of existing stock, so given the shelf life, I'd bet it's not gonna be this week or next when then the bottles we're used to go away, but in some flavors at least, the new look is here.

Fastenal had started selling a competing brand (not Chinese) but Henkel/Loctite told them they could no longer sell any of their products if Fastenal continued selling the competing one. Of course the competing one was considerably cheaper. So it's only Henkel/Loctite now.
was it Parker? I have some parker stuff, starting to go bad, It's good stuff (at least the permanent is, the medium started going bad immediately because it was very old stock) no biggie it was $1 at Jacktown..

I hate when companies bully retailers to sell only their product. It's anti competition, and it drives prices up.

What is life, once opened, on thread locker (Henkel/Loctite)?
it will depend on treatment of the product. If you let air into the container for the anaerobic it lasts longer, if you squeeze the air out, shorter.
Heat shorter..
I don't have the shelf life opened or closed on Loctite, the parker did have it stamped on the containers.

And for one of my less-than-brilliant moments…. I had a tube of the silver bearing seating stuff that I’d hardly taken any out of. Trouble is the product was so thick it wasn’t allowing the tube to kind of un-collapse itself and bring air back into the tube. Well I knew that with no air it would shorten the shelf life so I thought I’d just — ever so carefully — blow a little in there using the blowgun on the compressor….. ah yuh, don’t do that. :rolleyes:

Not true. The best you can do is not shop at Amazon, [snip] Shop better.
Amen.
I have gotten two counterfeit items from Amazon. One was a specialized computer cable, supposedly from the big name brand. The Amazon sale page even contained a copy/paste from that manufacturer's website explaining how to spot counterfeits. Pretty ballsy, right? The very info on their own sale page is how I was able to prove it was counterfeit. Reported to Amazon, got my refund, but that vendor remained on the platform.

Another funny one, not counterfeit just bait'n'switch. The Amazon page said package of ten hacksaw blades, and I was shipped one. When I complained their response was basically "didn't you notice the price was too low to be for ten blades?" Well yeah but it was also too high to be for one blade! Clearly trolling for suckers like me who are not put off by "too good to be true". They refunded my money but their ad stayed up, still clearly saying it was for ten blades. Amazon did not give a fxxx.

Back