PM-1440TL shipping mishap

I did not see mentioned who the carrier actually was. It would be interesting information. Maybe not useful, but interesting nonetheless.

When they shipped my lathe Eisen pretty much insisted on ABF as the carrier. I got the impression that they had used other carriers in the past with less than great results. That being said, I have had Saia deliver numerous machines to me with zero issues.

I did not see mentioned who the carrier actually was. It would be interesting information. Maybe not useful, but interesting nonetheless.

When they shipped my lathe Eisen pretty much insisted on ABF as the carrier. I got the impression that they had used other carriers in the past with less than great results. That being said, I have had Saia deliver numerous machines to me with zero issues.

ABF is a reputable shipping company in my experience as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 1440gt was delivered by UPS. The driver was initially going to drop the lathe off on my curb. I asked nicely for him to put it in my garage. He looked at the 60’ of 40’s era split driveway, and decided that one pallet jack wasn’t going to cut it. He called another driver, in another semi, with another pallet jack, and they took it up my driveway, and placed it in my garage, exactly where I wanted it.
Their tip was generous.

Sorry this happened. A lot of speculation and guessing, you will probably never know what happened. As far as LTL, my mill came straight from PIT to MEM, no stops, so it really depends on the company routes and your location.

Aside from that, I've received dozens of shipments and always do dock pickup. Much easier to see damage early, pick it up on my time and not wait around for a driver to show up. Having been at the docks, the trailers are loaded and the drivers aren't around.

I hope you paid for it with a credit card. If so you should notify your credit card company immediately that it was damaged and that you refused to accept it. You will get your money back and not be involved in who is responsible for the damage. Ultimately this is PM's problem because they picked the shipping company.

He already isn't involved. PM has already credited the money towards a 1640TL.

There has been some negative shipping experiences mentioned and some risk factors, but I'd like to tell a story about how it worked out for me.

I purchased a 3800# mill from a dealer in Richmond, BC, and had him recommend a shipper to Calgary nearly 1000Km away (600miles) - over the rocky mountains with 17% grades in between. The shipper was inexpensive enough and I got tailgate delivery (now I know how ridiculous that sounds!)

The machinery guy had a broken down pallet he strapped it to, so the shipping company put the bad pallet on top of a good pallet and strapped the whole mess together. 3 weeks later the truck arrives... The operator told me that the liftgate couldn't lift the mill if we couldn't managed to get it into my garage over the gravel run-up... So me (mid 60s) and my friend (mid 70s) have him lower it onto plywood and haul by manual force to the pallet jack up the 10 degree slope into my garage...

Talk about tipping - that whole mess was flimsy and then some - but it must have scared the shipper because it was fastened with 4 ratchet straps to E track in the box. The haul up to the garage was easy, but getting it off the two pallets nearly 10" in the air, was butt puckering to say the least.

For less than 800$ to load, haul 600 miles, unload -without a scratch, well there are some very good shippers out there!

Well, I doubled down and along with a PM-1640TL I ordered a PM-1054TV.

Both are on the container ship "Madrid Bridge" as I type this.

Supposed to be through the Suez on June 11th. Exciting!

Fingers crossed for a better shipping outcome from PA to CA this time.

For the record, it was "Ward Trucking" that did the final leg of the trip. At least that's where the emails came from; it's possible they sub'd the load out to another company.

I mentioned it before, but Precision Matthews has been AMAZING through all this. Also, I thought PM's packing was pretty great. Their crating job was pretty heavy duty wood. The splintered, spindly wood in the photos is the freight company hammering a few palettes together to replace the missing/smashed out sides.

3800lb engine lathe + gravity vs. any type of wood crate, and pretty sure the 3800lb engine lathe gonna win every time.

Back