[4]

POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Franko

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Maybe this should have gone under the category of what I un-made in my shop today.

The final chapter of the great hot tub un-making adventure is closed.
The truck the with the big claw picked it up (easily) from the curb and it's gone.
I was able to see the whole thing.

I love watching hydraulic tools work. They are so strong.
The guy didn't even try to grab it any certain way.
He just latched on and crunched gripping holes anywhere the claw was. The crunch was impressive.

After all that drama I had dealing with that weight and bulk, he just plopped it in the truck in about 3 minutes.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
It's time to clean carburetors, recently i bought couple more carburetors so i can piece together couple good carburetors, first thing i did was to power wash all of them with high strength degreaser to take the grime off but the carburetors are extremely dirty inside and out. the plan is to make one good vacuum secondaries also one more mechanical secondaries carburetor, i pick the best carburetor and spent close to 4 hour taking it apart and cleaning it i did manage to get it spotless, blow out all the passages and run wire thru them, then i started assembly, i made all new gaskets from klingerit gasket material, and follow the factory service manual and assemble it, this took surprisingly long time, and now i have to learn how to tune a carburetor, i'll be installing a lambda sensor in the exhaust to run Air/Fuel ratio gauge so i can get it close then tune it by spark plugs.
IMG_20181203_162634.jpgIMG_20181203_162643.jpgIMG_20181203_170955.jpgIMG_20181203_171010.jpgIMG_20181203_173805_1.jpgIMG_20181203_173924.jpgIMG_20181203_175912.jpgIMG_20181203_182444.jpg

Cadillac

Brass
Registered
Two years ago we had a 20’ trailer we scrapped was rotted out. We loaded the trailer with some scrap equipment too. Drove to the junkyard. They have a excavator with a grapple arm on it and the cab and everything lifts like a scissor lift. Pretty cool.
Anyways I pull up with trailer loaded, and unhook. He drives over grabs a piece of equipment like 5k pounds grabs it and while he’s lifting he starts swinging the load and releases at the right time to throw the 5k pound piece like twenty feet on top the pile. Then comes back down picks up the trailer and throws the same way. Was done in less than a minute. Thought to myself that has to be the best job ever. Hydraulics are awesome!

Cadillac

Brass
Registered
Cooter I hate when the blade pulls out can ya fix that? I have three fatmax Stanley’s razors I don’t use because of this.

Cadillac

Brass
Registered
Here’s my project of the week. Friend of mine is a plumbers calls me last Thursday. Asks if I could build him a tool. He’s been having to work on a lot of houses where the main shut off wasn’t working or wasn’t one. He sent me a picture of the tool and said they were like 200 bucks can I make one. I said what the heck I’ll give her a try. And her she is.
028FFE5A-15F5-481B-B931-283C5D5A1C92.jpeg
It clamps down on the copper pipe and smooshes it. Then when done you release, spin 90* and crimp back to a round. It will do 3/4-1 1/2 pipe. Pretty cool design the bottom pieces come off or swing out so it can all be done in service.
image.jpg
I know any of you that have worked with copper pipe said no way it will crack rebending round. I think the same thing and I asked if he had ever used one and he said they work good. Not pretty but that’s what your delt with in emergency. Hey check cleared so I didn’t care.

silverhawk

Registered
It's time to clean carburetors, recently i bought couple more carburetors so i can piece together couple good carburetors, first thing i did was to power wash all of them with high strength degreaser to take the grime off but the carburetors are extremely dirty inside and out. the plan is to make one good vacuum secondaries also one more mechanical secondaries carburetor, i pick the best carburetor and spent close to 4 hour taking it apart and cleaning it i did manage to get it spotless, blow out all the passages and run wire thru them, then i started assembly, i made all new gaskets from klingerit gasket material, and follow the factory service manual and assemble it, this took surprisingly long time, and now i have to learn how to tune a carburetor, i'll be installing a lambda sensor in the exhaust to run Air/Fuel ratio gauge so i can get it close then tune it by spark plugs.
I recently watched a YouTube video that had caught my eye... Someone had their girlfriend use a craft cutter to cut out gaskets. I'd never thought of that. My hand-cut gaskets have always worked, but it brings another option to the table.

Nice work on those gaskets! Looks like a nice, steady hand!

WCraig

Registered
The first thing I've ever made with a metal lathe...

TeeNut_2.jpg
The t-nut for my new quick change tool post.

Had to hacksaw and file 0.215" off each side and then face down to 0.221 thickness leaving a 0.73 width boss in the middle. I was stumped for a while on how to hold the blank in the lathe. Eventually I found a metric bolt (shown at right) that fit and clamped that in the 3-jaw. With a little futzing, it was running about 0.004 from true.

BTW, is it normal for interrupted cuts to throw hot little chips back onto your hands?!? They sting when they land on the web between fingers!

I'm very happy with the fit; nice and snug within the little compound of my Atlas 618. Finish isn't the greatest as there was some chatter. Acceptable to me for what it is.

This hobby may actually have possibilities...

Craig

francist

Active User
An alternate way to get to the same place is to start with round stock. Face one side and leave the boss just like you did, then flip the part and chuck on the boss to face the opposite side to thickness. Trim two opposing edges to fit the compound width. A tad more wasteful of material this way, but it avoids the interrupted cut. Nothing wrong with your method though, and the end result is the same.

-frank

WCraig

Registered
An alternate way to get to the same place is to start with round stock. Face one side and leave the boss just like you did, then flip the part and chuck on the boss to face the opposite side to thickness. Trim two opposing edges to fit the compound width. A tad more wasteful of material this way, but it avoids the interrupted cut. Nothing wrong with your method though, and the end result is the same.
Thanks, Frank. The rectangular blank was supplied with the qctp. Pre-drilled and tapped--metric, 10mm fine as best as I can tell. The supplied nut for the other end has a wider flange, as well. I figured if I really screwed up I could make another t-nut and use 3/8" threaded rod. Happily, it didn't come to that!

Craig

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
The first thing I've ever made with a metal lathe...
<snip>
Finish isn't the greatest as there was some chatter. Acceptable to me for what it is.
Don't apologize for the finish. Tell people that it's deliberately a bit rough to increase friction and hold better on your compound. "It's not a bug, it's a feature!"
Anyway, nice work! I think I can immodestly speak for others on the forum and say that we're all sure you'll continue to learn and enjoy as you do more projects on your lathe.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
I got hit from behind on the highway, plus the icy road cause me to spin couple of times and the front wheel hit the medium, thankfully no one got injured and the car that hit me never stopped. I continued to work but notice my steering wheel in no longer straight, when i got home i inspected the front end and found the steering rack extension was bent, i had a spare and changed it also took it to an alignment shop to get i align and check, the guy there said no surprise there is nothing else bent is build like a tank he was so impressed with it, he polish out the color transfer rear bumper from the car that hit me, good ending to a bad situation.
IMG_20181205_151854.jpg

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
I soaked this carburetor in vinegar and degreaser for two days to get all the varnish off, i wanted to soake it for only one day but because of the accident got an extra day but this morning i blow out all the passages and run wire thru them, then i made some more new klingerit gaskets, the main gasket is different to the other carburetor, this one has an extra accelerator pump and a throttle damper, assembly was easier simpler linkage. But i have a feeling this one will be harder to set up, it has less adjustments points.
IMG_20181205_201748.jpg

Cadillac

Brass
Registered
I had bought a faceplate from shars that was machined. It only had a three bolt pattern I need a 6 bolt pattern for my bison. I put the studs in for the d1-4 mounting and installed on lathe to check over. Seems well machined could only get a .0005 twitch out of bore, OD, and face.
22D26D95-6598-4DA4-8305-46C0C1919F4F.jpeg
After that I mounted in the RT already centered. Then centered my plate. Naturally the existing hole pattern was a pain to align exactly on a degree of the RT. Ended up being 76* 45sec as my zero. With that I drilled all the holes. And of course I never have the right size tool for the job meaning counterbore cutters. I have a american set but not metric so I ended up using a endmill which gave me .002 clearance.
C8E97CBF-5D1A-488E-8CC8-C34063050CD8.jpeg
I ended up chucking all the screws and taking .005 off the OD of the heads. Once done I anxiously pulled off the RT to check bolt hole alignment. Like I knew what I was doing Awesome! So I remounted on the lathe.
639DA445-E681-44CA-B0AA-DADFB74A4415.jpeg
91BAD7AA-D8AB-4D8A-B320-309037482A9B.jpeg
It was a challenge finding a tool that would cut what I needed. I have a coil cover over my leadscrew and with the carriage al the way to the headstock my cross slide almost fully extended I needed to have almost 3” of stick out on my tool. Luckily no chatter cut like butter. I actually impressed myself on the fitment of register to chuck. Finish was very acceptable and overall very happy with how it came out. After mounting the chuck I threw a ground pin in to check runout. Theirs .0015 runout and I haven’t tried indexing the chuck to backplate yet.
22CD444E-8F9F-4705-BB22-9E4897F1709B.jpeg
But for now I think it acceptable. On to the next!

BBAB86FF-F6F8-498D-A752-C6D7D7218A9D.jpeg

jdedmon91

Registered
Cadillac I had to the same on my build of a drive plate. Use a left hand tool on the QC block. It works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdedmon91

Registered
I purchased a center for my Grizzly to use with my drive dog plate I recently made. The center had .015 runout. So I broke out the CBN inserts and trued the center up. The bad part is I ordered a Phase 2 from Travers and it had .005 runout. Kind of aggravating. Any how I posted a video on my channel in case anyone or interested in seeing it.

jdedmon91

Registered
I got tired of the cheap looking knob on my dial indicator mount, and figured it would be a good opportunity to work on some,new to me, operations.
I like the knobs, I make a lot of knobs for my projects because I have the time and hand made knobs make a project look way cooler than a plastic one

jdedmon91

Registered
Well...was going to make a beautiful knob style chuck key, to adjust the back of my 4 jaw. Instead I had my first crash, on my mill. Ended up taking too deep of a cut, while climb milling, and it broke my 1/2" end mill, as well as put some scars on my work.View attachment 280745View attachment 280746
Had to finish up the squared off section by hand, ie filing. But it fits in the 4 jaw anyways.View attachment 280747View attachment 280748
Need to wait for my new endmill to come in, to finish it up...guess it's on hold for now.
On another note, I decided to use a piece of old aluminum ladder, that I was saving for casting, as a holder for my R8 milling attachments and collets.
View attachment 280750
That came out alright I guess..anyrate, thanks for looking.
Love the ladder idea. I made myself one out of some scrap I had.

jdedmon91

Registered
View attachment 281330
Wasn’t done in a day about 3days 2 hours at a time. That’s all the free time I can get sometimes. :( This is actually my first attempt at dovetails. Worked good no surprises. I have a bunch of 2 1/2 round so it seemed perfect for the project. Don’t have any pics of the dovtail work sometimes I get involved in the job and don’t think of it. Here’s a shot of drilling out a 15/16 hole talk about some spiral chips.
View attachment 281329
Then I broke out the boring head and opened it up the 1.000. My second time using this boring head. I love it very well built and a pleasure using no makers mark it bores and faces.
View attachment 281328
Was happy with fit and finish. View attachment 281332
Next was slitting it. This was what I came up with to hold with the arbor I have for the slitting saw. Was a little challenging figure out how to hold and get the clearance.
One question I have is do you cut the hole slot at once full depth or cut a it with multiple passes? I did .100 cuts with no problem it was just my first time using slitting saw. Didn’t want to mess it up. Usually I’d cut on the bandsaw but I wanted a crisp, straight cut.
View attachment 281331
After doing this I found I need to make acouple slitting saw arbors. All that’s left is to drill and tap a hole on top for setting height. I’m waiting for the 2” long fine thread set screw to come in. And I have to make the knurled adjustment ring that comes on tool holders. I need another day in the shop.
After you get the hang of it dovetails are not that hard. I cut my share in toolholders. I have a set of blocks for my small boring bars I made so I don’t have to change them.

Awesome work so far

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
I've been looking for a new or used trunk lid for the little Niva for almost a month now with no success, all have some rust or have been roll over and are bent so i clear out my work bench and attack it with a wire brush on an angle grinder and took off all the paint and plastic filler, and found lots of rust some suffice rust, some deep, the drivers side will need 3-4 pieces welded it, in the middle whoever drill the badge holes probably used in nail and a rock it dented and distorted the entire trunk lid, i'll weld all the holes shut. The passenger side is the worst, rusted out inside and outside, i'll need to remake the inner parts first then the outside skin and on all of that i'll need to do bodywork to make it straight and smooth, all of this was covered with plastic filler.
IMG_20181206_194207.jpgIMG_20181206_194211.jpgIMG_20181206_194215.jpgIMG_20181206_194219_1.jpgIMG_20181206_194223.jpg

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I just did a repair to the vise for my Atlas 7b shaper, the previous owner decided it would be a good idea to cut into the vise so that parts will not sit flat anymore... I used Low Fuming Bronze and an Oxy torch... Fired up the heat treat furnace to 700 degrees before I started brazing and as soon as I finished adding filler rod the vise went in the furnace for an hour at 700 and then I shut off the furnace and let it cool to room temperature inside the furnace.... I cut it close with the shaper and then stuck it on the surface grinder...

Going to make new vise jaws now...

IMG_1463.jpg

Last edited:

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i had couple of things to paint in the big garage, so i painted the back of the original Lada wheels, the fronts are still in high build primer but i like running the inner part of the wheel mat black to hide the brake dust and dirt, i first did apply 2 coats of high zinc protection primer then one coat of 2 K mat black paint, the finish looks like wrinkle paint because of the rust pitting, thankfully the holes in the face are small and is not visible, because of the paint fumes i decided not to be grinding and welding the rest of the evening.
IMG_20181208_135740_1.jpg

Shootymacshootface

Registered
Success!
1544309470650.jpg
After several days of eyestrain and working with a magnifying glass, my Starrett 216 is repaired! The shiny spots on the body are where the original owner had his full name or his initials deeply engraved (4 places).
The broken part was a plastic gear that was pressed onto some knurling on the brass part that is on the spindle.
1543975633901.jpg
These are the new parts that I ordered from Starrett (nice folks).
1544031360709.jpg
It was a total gamble because parts are NLA for my early 216. The guy knew that the window would fit, but that the drive gear was different. He didn't know specifically in what way. I lucked out because it was oversized in just the right places.
1544137489210.jpg
1544307846422.jpg
The tiny litle drivegear screw was hard to make because I could barely see some of the features it had. There is a .023 dia tit on the end of it that rides in a groove on the spindle.
1544140361510.jpg
1544144821749.jpg
I used the old drive gear body to hold the screw so that I could cut a screwdriver slot in it. I found the location by eye.
1544309258805.jpg
I lightly lubricated it with some Hoppes gun oil.

Its kind of funny that the plastic drive gear had a crack in it that acted like an extra tooth. The further it opened the larger the error became. The new part is a steel body with a brass or bronze gear on it.

Alexander McGilton

Registered
Neat stuff.
While you were on the phone with them did you ask why they don't add the ruler scale on the micrometer. I have their depth micrometer with the odometer like display, and it seams odd that I can't reference the digital to the more reliable ruler.

[6]
[5] [7]