POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

You must enjoy working all the time in cars... Can't imagine doing all that work if you did not enjoyed it.

Over the weekend, I finished up some MLA kit projects.

Boring/facing head.

View attachment 397549

Die filer.

View attachment 397550

I have to finish up the pulley for the filer. I think I'm going to use a treadmill motor and controller I have on hand. I have a belt for the stock pulley, so I'm thinking I'll use it and cut the pulley for the micro-v belt. It's a bit fast, but it's about a 1:5 reduction and has a speed control. I'll probably mount it and the motor on a board for portability.

I also need to source some files. That will work for it.

The boring head is good to go. I made a split bushing for adapting the 3/4" holes to 1/2" for my existing boring bars.

I highly recommend both kits. Very good quality and directions/drawings. The cast iron is messy, but otherwise great to machine.

Ive thought about the boring head. How does facing work? Does the head need to be modified to set stops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive thought about the boring head. How does facing work? Does the head need to be modified to set stops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You grab the knurled ring to face. It trips a little gear on the feed screw as it spins. No stops on this one, just let go when you get where you want to go. I suspect you could add stops if you want to. Probably as simple as a couple of tapped holes then just let the ring slip in your fingers when it hits.

I wasn't happy with the first base I made for my sliding table saw so I decided to start over. Purchased the new steel a week ago. Got everything all cut up. Finally got really some good beads running (I was running the MIG too hot) and WHAM! The MIG stops spooling. Clean the ends, check everything out, sure enough... out of wire! ARRG!

New spool of MIG wire, new tip and the weld practically lays itself down! It is nice to be back in business. Thank you for the sympathy and listening to me whine. :)

I am on his waitlist for the die flier… He had to switch the source for making his castings

I really need to get on that list too. I've been wanting one of those fancy filing machines for years. Its not like I 'need' one, but it's very high on the 'want' list!

I really need to get on that list too. I've been wanting one of those fancy filing machines for years. Its not like I 'need' one, but it's very high on the 'want' list!
Quick email to Andy is all you need to do. Andrew Lofquist <mlatoolbox@verizon.net> ( Andy Lofquist, Metal Lathe Accessories (814) 234-3543 )

I do not have a boring bar for the milling machine... Boring and Facing Head (MLA-7)... thinking if I should also order one from him...

Just an FYI. The older Delta scroll saws model 40-440 and similar are also capable of die filing. I was interested in purchasing a commercial die filer some 15 years ago. The ones I found were either worked to death or had outrageous asking prices. I decided to see if I could modify a Delta scroll saw to do the job. I purchased one with the intention of modifying it, but much to my surprise I found they came from the factory with this capability. They could be purchased with a chuck made specifically to hold die files.

The chuck is simple to make and works well. I've used my machine a number of times as a die filer. I've yet to use it as a scroll saw. These machines seem to be fairly prolific at used equipment dealers, and usually sell for around $125.00 or so. There are a couple different models. One has 4 speeds accomplished by changing the position of the belt on the pulleys, and the other had a crank adjustable variable variable width pulley. The one I have is the 4-speed belt change model.

Here's a link to the 1940 Delta Power Tool Catalog on the Vintage Machinery website. Scroll saws and accessories begin on page 21.

Today before work i had an hour to spare and knowing i'll be tired after work i did what i could to get stuff done on the scenic. Finish cleaning the valve train parts and reassembled them, i still need to adjust the valves and install the intake but i first need to make a new gasket, i did made a template from thin paper. I also did a quick clean on the engine block and check it, it's pretty bent but i' think it will seal.
IMG_20220220_183539.jpgIMG_20220220_183546.jpgIMG_20220220_183701.jpg

Quick email to Andy is all you need to do. Andrew Lofquist <mlatoolbox@verizon.net> ( Andy Lofquist, Metal Lathe Accessories (814) 234-3543 )

I do not have a boring bar for the milling machine... Boring and Facing Head (MLA-7)... thinking if I should also order one from him...
Interesting project considering a Wohlhaupter boring/facing head is north of $500 off eBay. Might be a nice retirement project.

Bruce

Back