[4]

POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Quoting:
... ... Need to move things back out of the basement . Need to cut both lawns . Need to change a set of rotors on the Honda . Ah heck , I may as well come into work . ... ...
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

My back yard is rather large, and the front has, among other things, my wheelchair ramp going up better than six feet. Lots of grass... ... My idea of groundskeeping is to hook up a bush hog and mow it a couple or three times a season. When I remarried some thirty years ago, she brought lots of flowers, rose bushes, small trees, that sort of thing. She laid down the law about grounds keeping before we were married, no bush hogging. She has handled the grounds keeping since, all I do is some maintenance on her machines.

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
Last two days i've been working hard in the big garage, Yesterday i spent the entire evening cleaning i removed all the damp cardboard cut it up and packed it for throwing away, also arranged all my tools and picked up lots of garbage around the little niva, at this point i could walk and work around the Niva. Today i started with the exhaust, is easier to move or change the route on the LPG line then to change the exhaust, so i wanted to have it in place before i run the LPG line. For the exhaust is used mainly old stainless pieces i had laying around at the header i run 63mm pipe to the first muffler whom i placed under the back seat and then i stopped, the back muffler will be a bit more difficult because of the long travel suspension.
IMG_20190623_113611.jpgIMG_20190623_113624.jpgIMG_20190623_113644.jpg

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
GoceKU, You are making good progress on the little Niva. Looks great.

hman

Active User
After I'd bought my current house/shop, and before I had the moving van deliver all my stuff, I took the time to hang several lengths of Unistrut from the shop ceiling, intending to use them to drape power cords overhead to my machine tools. Over the past few days I've brought over compressed air as well. The previous owner had plumbed a number of air lines to various spots around the shop walls.

I started by fabricating a "manifold" of copper pipe, with 12" drops intended to serve my lathe, the two small mills, and my RF-30 clone. Air enters the manifold at a 12" long side arm. After attaching the pipe to the Unistrut I ran a hose from the wall to this side arm. Then I added three 3-foot "whip" hoses at the machine tool locations, with a shutoff valve on each. The valves let me turn off the air without unplugging the quick connects.

Now (among other things) I can start using the Kool-Mist I bought a gallon of a couple weeks ago!
kHPIM6036.jpgkHPIM6038.jpgkHPIM6041.jpgkHPIM6044.jpgkHPIM6047.jpg

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
Today i couldn't wait to get back home to get to work to finish the exhaust on the little Niva, i started by removing the section i tacked up yesterday and fully welded all the joints, then i moved on the the rear muffler i had to miss couple of components, like shocks, brake parts, diff stops but got them tack welded and then i had to choose the tip, the back muffler had twin 50mm stainless pipes exiting only tip i had bigger then them was an old aftermarket sport muffler with this tip, so i cut it off and used couple of bends and some sheet steel to close it from the back, then i bend up and welded couple of mounts, then i separated the front from the back muffler and used a flex clamp so i can install and remove it. Then i spent 2-3 hours welding every joint twice to ensure no leaks and then i painted the entire system with heat resistant paint. The system i build is a bit overkill for a Lada but i could not even imagine how bad did the factory 35mm exhaust system flowed. I forgot to mention i didn't forget to weld in an oxygen sensor bung. I'm getting excited to get the engine started to hear the sound of the exhaust but i'm determined to finish all the system one by one and then get to tuning the engine. All in i worked around 10 hours in the garage today and i'm exhausted.
IMG_20190623_113650.jpgIMG_20190623_165654.jpgIMG_20190623_193136.jpgIMG_20190623_200312.jpg

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
GroceKU - that's a whole lot of bends in the exhaust pipe! ... and it ended up looking SO bright and shiny - is that the paint? No wonder you're "exhausted"!!!
I wish i had the time and patience to hand polish the entire thing to make it shine like a mirror but i took the short cut, i used Silver high temp paint. Is more to protect the steel welds from rusting.

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
5 days off and worked non-stop . Besides cutting grass , painting , going to a bull roast for my deceased buddy , unpacking my daughters things , I got to do some things in the garage . Re-arranged a few shelves to gain floorspace for the mill , lathes and SG . Still don't have much room , but I AIN'T done yet ! :big grin: Moved what felt to be 1000 lbs of chucks and crap up from the basement and got them somewhat fitted into 3 Vidmar drawers . Lotta weight and $$$ in these 3 drawers alone . So , 42 chucks and counting , and I haven't made it down to the shop yet . :rolleyes:

Jeff and Mike . Grinding wheels and SHCS counterbores are pictured on here . ;)

Attachments

hman

Active User
I don't think you got NEAR enough o them thar chucks :)

Last edited:

mmcmdl

Staff member
I don't think you got NEARA enough o them thar chucks :)
I think this is a third of what I originally owned . Been selling them over the years but they keep multiplying . :grin: I'm down to a Bridgeport mill , think I can give a few up ? :rolleyes:

savarin

Active User
Got totally cheesed off as I cant finish the sandblasting so went back to making a crankshaft just to see what was involved.
I got it finished and it seems to run true.
cshaft1.jpg
The only hard part was using the parting tool to finish off the main bearing part.
cshaft2.jpg
Now I have to come up with a use for this chunk of steel.
Guess I had better restart the steam engine I was attempting (and failed) a while ago.

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
Today i wanted to start with the LPG conversion but after placing some of the components around the engine bay i figured quickly that i'll be better off just to repaint the engine bay with so many things removed then later when i have to do double the work. Started with removing the radiator, fans, as many clips and wiring as i could, then i sended everything with 80 grid and apply antirost acid to the rusty metal where the brake fluid reservoirs live. i had to wipe everything couple of times, because there was loads of dirt and grease. Then i did some masking to keep as much of the overspray as i could of the engine. Then i mixed some paint and with the world's worst paint gun i painted it. This took me about 6 hours and automotive paint stinks as much as i remember. Hope you like seeing how i get things done.
IMG_20190625_175904.jpgIMG_20190625_175920.jpgIMG_20190625_175927.jpgIMG_20190625_192327.jpgIMG_20190625_201703.jpgIMG_20190625_201701.jpgIMG_20190625_201650.jpg

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
Savarin,
That's cool man. Yeah, I'm a product of the sixties.
With the amount of stick out did you get much chatter from the cut-off blade?

savarin

Active User
With the amount of stick out did you get much chatter from the cut-off blade?
It would have but I used a left and right hand tool to get almost to size then only took very light skims till to size.
I made sure the blade was sharpened and set square and when I measured the big end shaft it was exact from side to side
(I was amazed this was the case)

mattthemuppet2

made these for the Worm Art Competition at the International C. elegans meeting I just went to in LA. The main motivation was to give them to various friends that I've made over the years (one from 2005!), so the fact that I didn't win wasn't a biggy. Came close though.

Anyway, these are supposed to be the main lifecycle stages for C. elegans: 2 cell embryo and "pretzel stage" embryo as studs, L1 and L2 larvae as dangly earrings and L3, L4 and adult as necklaces. Made with random bits of stainless (one I think from a broken French press) and bent in the vise. Turning the back of the studs down to 0.7mm was not fun, took several attempts to do that.

My friends were very happy with their gifts and I even got a couple of strong interests in commissions! Fingers crossed they pan out as I'm saving up for a DRO for the mill :)

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
Today i found myself thinking my hand and fingers are too big, i'm working to finish all the ends so i can finish the fuel system so i can install the LPG conversion, so i needed to prep and paint the fuel filler hole and door, i spent constable time sending but i'm sure the paint will grip now, just as sprayed the second coat my brother called his spare car died so i had to drop everything and to help him.
IMG_20190626_112612.jpg

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
Still working on the shop.
As a space saving idea, I have this plan to make a slide out shelf for a Baldor carbide grinder, I pick it up this weekend. Will mount it below the buffer. The bench is about 47" high so I have a reasonable amount of working room.
I also finished the welding cart. This gets the tanks, ac/dc, mig, tig, stick, plasma and cooler all in one easy roll around cart. I am going to add more hooks for cables. Notice the black caps? :)
Oh and an easy to reach Kurt vise handle holder. I am using the t-nuts on the table. No drilling.IMG_0103.jpgIMG_2961.JPGIMG_2968.JPGIMG_2975.JPG

GreatOldOne

#SaveTheExpanse
So, as you know I fitted a 5c collet chuck to my lathe. Awesome. Not awesome: run out. Couldn’t work out why I was getting between 0.05 and 0.12mm runout at the nose and on an end mill in a collet.

Backplate - no runout on the register or the face... as you’d expect, with it being turned bolted to the spindle. Nothing on the back of the chuck, but gave it a stone anyway just to be sure. Didn’t do anything, still had the same runout, more or less depending on which position I clocked it in on the plate (rotating around the register).

So I concluded that maybe the nose and register on the chuck weren’t concentric... and I did a Gotteswinter and took a little more of my perfectly sized register, and then bumped it in true.
View attachment 347A3182-304D-4C36-9340-AD5A04FBCF77.MOV

Yeah, ok. I suppose that’ll do. :cool:

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
Today i got an early start, i began sending and prepping all the wheel wells, rocker panels, grill inside of trunk lid, to be painted, the rocker panels and grill need to be mat black and all other things body color, i masked and painted the black pieces first, witch was a mistake, because when i went over it with the Yellow i got overspray all over the rocker panels, i painted all the wheel wells just like factory with the body color more for protection then for looks, last thing i painted was the inside of the trunk lid and jams and managed to make myself sick from all the paint fumes, my paint mask got destroyed about a year ago and haven't bought a new one. Hope you like all the details.
IMG_20190628_200025.jpgIMG_20190628_200051_1.jpgIMG_20190628_200043.jpgIMG_20190628_200018.jpgIMG_20190628_200037_1.jpgIMG_20190628_200058_1.jpgIMG_20190628_200110.jpgIMG_20190628_200146.jpg

hman

Active User
Well, it's probably better to get a little body color overspray on the black areas than to get black onto the body areas. And get a new paint mask! We really don't want to lose you, even for a short while to recover from paint fumes!

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
And get a new paint mask! We really don't want to lose you, even for a short while to recover from paint fumes!
With the amount of chemicals and solvents i've breath at all my past jobs this is a walk in the park, but i do take care of myself. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. :grin big:

[5] [7]