POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

No love from me.

I replaced the linkage arms with a noga arm. I got the idea from Oxtools- Tom Lipton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have that too, but mine is on a 3/8 shaft, and I use it when that works for me.
Different tools for different problems.

I made a lathe carriage/bed stop for my mini-lathe which I sorely needed. Getting the bed dimensions off the lathe were a little tricky, but I think I nailed it. FreeCAD modelling helped a lot.

I'm trying to decide if I should replace the stock screws with custom ones. The two clamping screws could have knobs/handles on them, but I'm thinking I want to keep these low as possible. The screw on the end could probably be customized for ease of adjustment.

IMG_6203.jpg

IMG_6202.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

That came out great. That is another thing that I want to make. I would like to make it so that I can also install a dial on it.

@devils4ever Nice job. I should make one for my Grizzly G0752Z. How did you measure the ways pyramid angles?

That came out great. That is another thing that I want to make. I would like to make it so that I can also install a dial on it.
if you think about it you only need one.. the dial indicator type.
That's a 3/8 shaft.. So you can use a 3/8-16 or 3/8-24 screw through that hole with nuts and get 2 from one.

That's a 3/8 shaft.. So you can use a 3/8-16 or 3/8-24 screw through that hole with nuts and get 2 from one.

I don't quite follow.

I wanted a hard stop on the carriage. A dial indicator is another nice version of this which I am thinking of making as well.

Or just use some 3/8" drill rod with a flat, and make a lock screw stout enough to lock it in place as a stop.
You could then tap a #6-40 or similar in the end of the 3/8 rod, for fine adjust on the stop...

Or just use some 3/8" drill rod with a flat, and make a lock screw stout enough to lock it in place as a stop.
You could then tap a #6-40 or similar in the end of the 3/8 rod, for fine adjust on the stop...
The stops do need to take a good hit. Although it is possible. I would make it very stout, and make sure it had a good cone point on it to dig in.

The stops do need to take a good hit. Although it is possible. I would make it very stout, and make sure it had a good cone point on it to dig in.
I meant something like a 1/4" lock bolt hitting the flat on the 3/8" rod. I'd probably do flat end bolt to flat on the rod...

Was thinking a #6-40 grade 8 in the end for fine adjust with a lock nut, for getting down to thousandths...).

You could make a larger fine thread fine adjust bolt if you wanted. I think blowing out a #6-40 end loaded would take a pretty big gorilla on the hand wheels. Even I'm not that big and angry... ;)

Back