[4]

POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Haven't ever posted on this thread but here are a few things from the last few days.

Hole center to center distance finder. The pins were in the scrap pile.
DSCF4097.JPG

Mod to mill vise for holding large discs
DSCF4098.JPG

Large stock bender for shop press. Very heavy duty!
DSCF4099.JPG

Thanks for looking. Hope it inspires you.
Aaron

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i'm back to work on the Little Niva, few days ago i decided to install trailer hitch receivers on the back and the front of the niva. The front will serve more like a winch mount and i can install other attachments to it. I started by cutting and welding a bar to go between the front bumper pipes, i also welded them to the chassis. Then i made me a class 3 hitch receiver from some angle iron and some flat stock, i used measurement that one of you guys helped me with. I did a lot of welding and my welder did went in to over heat protection couple of times and finally stopped delivering wire, first thing to check the welding wire and i've run out, this is the 5th or 6th spool of welding wire since i've started the little niva. The plan moving forward is to ground the new and very hot hitch receiver smooth and mount it very sturdy i'll also mount couple of towing hooks.
IMG_20190717_160702_1.jpgIMG_20190717_160656.jpgIMG_20190717_160648.jpg

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Loosely based on the Fiat 124 but hopefully a bit more reliable....
In some areas yes but rustproofing still suck but the russians did used double the thickness of the italians so it takes few years to rust thru, many of the plastic parts are replaced with aluminium ones but what remains plastic or rubber is rubbish, also electric are not always reliable. But as a whole they are much tougher than the fiats, the punishment that Niva's can take and still continued like nothing happen is astonishing, here is funny video of a standard niva climbing stairs.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i'm back to work on the Little Niva, today i installed a fresh spool of wire in my welder and then spent the next 4 hours welding. After fully welding all the pieces and boxing them with 5 mm flat stock i drill and thread the holes for the towing hooks, i had to cut down couple of engine head bolts to use to the hooks but they do fit nicely. Then i put some cardboard between the body and the new crossmember i just made and welded it in place, the new hitch receiver hides nicely under the front bumper and will serve as a added structure in case of an accident not that the 3/8" aluminium bumpers are week. I left it clean steel to paint it together with the rear hitch receiver and bumper mounts. I hope you like seeing detail tings like this.
IMG_20190717_174432.jpgIMG_20190717_184537.jpgIMG_20190718_185149.jpgIMG_20190718_185543.jpgIMG_20190718_192845.jpgIMG_20190718_193016.jpg

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I made a metric M1 rack today of 48 teeth.
I had been making some change gears for my old China lathe last week and that got me to thinking about making a rack. I had made a 90 degree gear box for my mill last year but things happened and I never really made anything with it.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/90-degree-milling-head.70747/#post-593757

GEDC4039.JPG

GEDC4041.JPG

I even shined it up some.
Thanks for looking
Ray

Logan 400

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I spent a day in my shop on company time. I worked on a project for a job that requires hundreds of feet of coated rigid 1" conduit to be installed exposed on the wall of a water treatment tank. This conduit can be ordered with the radius required but the lead time far exceeds the completion date. We bought a pipe roller from HF and tried it out on a stick of pipe that was not coated. It worked great.
When the coated rigid arrived we discovered the pipe roller would not work.
I have a good supply of structural steel that I have accumulated over the years.
I grabbed a piece of 4x6x3/16 tube steel did some cutting and drilling, added in a little flat bar and welded it all together.
I got lucky and the modifications were a success. Now I just need to paint.
20190719_175641.jpg

savarin

Active User
I thought my little flywheel really needed spokes but without a mill I couldnt think of a cool way so I just drilled some holes'
First off I used my simple indexer to place 8 marks.
cshaft5.jpg
I used the sharp tool bit to scribe a cross line
cshaft6.jpg
Then remove from the lathe and centre popped then set up on the drill press with my nice strong clamps and drill the holes.
Completely forgot to take a photo of this.
so only the final shot.
cshaft7.jpg

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i've been cleaning the big garage, i did manage to clean out the side bay of the garage. Moving the diesel engine wasn't that hard but moving the entire drivetrain was much harder than i thought then i finish welding the seat mounts in the little niva and then i moved it in the bay and swept the entire garage floor.
IMG_20190719_192748.jpg

f350ca

Registered
A simple project that took way longer than I expected. Fasteners for an ice cream machine. The plastic ones had cracked and had stainless thread inserts, stainless on stainless for something that gets used often is a recipe for disaster.
Roughed the body from 2 inch aluminum, then drilled and bored for the insert. Made brass inserts 2 thou over size. Warmed the body for a shrink fit and dropped the inserts in. Milled the finger grips then powder coated. Worked on them when I had time, ended up taking about 6 hours ! He gives me pots of work, will have to cut the time in half.

Greg

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i started on the rear bumper mounts and the rear hitch receiver, the old mounts had lots of rust so i decided to make new ones from some very thick wall tubing. The rear mounts are reinforced when i rebuild the back, couple of months back so i'm confident this will be sturdy. For mounting the bumper i had to weld up couple of broken bolts also made couple of plates and with the bumper place where i wanted it i weld it in place, i also cut a thick piece of square tubing for the hitch receiver and made me a receiver from some thick angle iron. Working with thick steel is much easier than rusted sheet metal. Thanks for looking
IMG_20190720_175143.jpgIMG_20190720_113231.jpgIMG_20190720_113250.jpgIMG_20190720_204853.jpgIMG_20190720_204917.jpgIMG_20190720_204903.jpg

mmcmdl

Staff member
Yesterday I took advantage of my day off and spent it in the garage and basement cleaning up , organizing , tossing out stuff . What a job I have on my hands . After I get the dogs checked out at the vet today for limes disease , it's back to the garage . I gained some much needed space though . I believe I have gotten rid of one of the extra mowers on hand , an Exmark Lazer 60" zero turn , so only a Cub 126 is left to go . I'm trying to get back out of this tractor hobby but they keep showing up , but I AM trying . ( the trash pickup guy is not gonna be happy this morning ):grin:

jdedmon91

Brass
Registered
Posted up today this modified compound drive. It’s already came in handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i did not have too much time to spare but i wanted to finish something on the little niva. I just finished mounting the rear bumper but one of the plastic side cap was broken when i bought the little niva so i ordered a new one from russia and ordered drivers side rear, i've been ordering parts for years and intansanaly use drivers and passenger side inside of left and right to avoid confusion, never the less they send me the wrong side, so i had to fix the broken one, i had to add a big piece on top that was missing, so i cut a piece of ford's interior, knowing ford used china parts, them being communists as well the russians i figured they should find some common ground, hahaha. I reinforced it with some wire mesh from the back side and gave it a skim coat with some body filler for bumpers but it seems it's gone bad because it doesn't want to go on smoothly, i'll send it off tomorrow and buy and apply a new one, so much effort for a 3$ part.
IMG_20181012_172844.JPGIMG_20190722_144711.jpgIMG_20190722_144759.jpgIMG_20190722_144736.jpgIMG_20190722_144753.jpgIMG_20190722_145840.jpg

Nogoingback

The work you have done on the Niva is simply amazing. When you're finished, you need to give all of us a ride you know... :)

francist

Active User
Nice. I've worked with a lot of different woods, but never butternut. Nice colour when it's finished?

-frank

f350ca

Registered
Thanks frank, its a fairly soft wood, the tree produces a nut about the size of a wall nut but has very little meat inside. Comes out a medium brown when sealed and varnished.

Greg

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Nice looking cabinets Greg. I have some wood butchery to do, but it won't be on the short list for awhile. Mike

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
All that talk of driving the little niva got me thinking i need to tune it up, the carb is just mounted after rebuilding it, so i printed out the instructions for setting the timing and the carb and midway released the instructions are worthless. For the ignition i used a vacuum gauge and a timing light but Lada says it should be set >30 degrees so i played around with it and is happiest at 18 degrees funny thing this car is so old it doesn't even have ignition advance, i thought i'd has internal mechanical but no it has only a brass thumbwheel for the driver to advance it if is skipping. For the carb i had to take it apart couple of times to set the fuel level but when i got it right makes a real difference now it has more of a deeper tone. I also did an oil change, the old oil was really black and dirty, is also evident from where the engine is copied, the oil filter fits Fiat's and Alfa's. The plan for tomorrow is to finish the rear hitch receiver and drive it around to work out some of the bugs before i drive it 15km to the paint booth.
IMG_20190722_154512.jpgIMG_20190722_160720.jpgIMG_20190722_160651.jpgIMG_20190722_160657.jpg

jdedmon91

Brass
Registered
Worked on hunny do today. Chris wanted a hand towel holder mounted to the side of a cabinet in our bathroom. I had previously turned an oblong ball when trying out the ball turner. So I machined up a shaft base plate drill and taped the for 1/4 x 20. Screwed and loctite it together and presto a towel holder
Pictures below

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nogoingback

Made Some Airplane Parts:

A good friend of mine recently finished building an RV-9 airplane and flew it for the first time. I made a couple of flanged spacers
out of 303 stainless to dress things up a little. They replaced a stack of washers and spacers that worked fine, but looked a little
rough. Easy little job, but my friend was stoked. He said three more RV builders on the field want them too.

IMG_0785.jpg

Rod end is the push/pull rod for the ailerons. It's not clear in the photo, but the minor diameter is present
on both sides of the flange so that there's no possibility of binding in the rod end.

IMG_1840.jpg

The first flight.

Last edited:
[5] [7]