POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Nothing fancy, but used my new ER32 collet blocks for the first time to make a couple of chuck keys for two Bison chucks I'm selling View attachment 403368original at the bottom
View attachment 403369
I did the same a few days ago. For some reason one of the sides is cut deeper than the others. Since the cutter or Y never moved, I don't understand it... it's deeper than the TIR of the block. and I climb cut so it should have stayed further away, and not pulled itself in.

I worked on an interesting part tonight. The turning is straight forward enough, but when I went to mill the flats the part said no and went for a walk.Flustered I just couldn't get a good hold on the on the part (the larger flat goes down to the centre line). Had a good think and decided to try a technique that I am now going to call "Put it on a Stick";). (luckily one gets 5/16-24 threads and one gets drilled 5/16") So I threaded a stick, screwed my part onto the stick and turn the flats on the lathe. This worked awesome. Because the the work was held on the stick I was able to remove it for measuring at will. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 403279
Did you clamp the part over the ends to mill the flat or on the diameter when it went for a walk?

Did you clamp the part over the ends to mill the flat or on the diameter when it went for a walk?
On the flat ends... I had to remove material down to the centre line.

I made garbage. I didn't notice that my collet draw bar came loose. I started having problems with depth of cut. and trashed the rod. I went to take it out of the collet and found it had loosened up... or as Joe Pie says, unloosened.

After busting a saw blade yesterday, and doing forensics on it, the arbor and myself, found the causes. 1) blade walked off and fractured at the arbor perimeter, 2) arbor manufactured poorly with an offset screw hole, whose screw head interfered with the arbor cap counterbore, which tipped the arbor cap under certain rotation angles, and 3) the nut behind the wheel (that's me!) failed to put the belt on the low speed pulley, and was expecting the mill to perform at low speed.
PXL_20220406_205047602.jpgPXL_20220407_021529411.jpgPXL_20220407_021549045.jpgPXL_20220406_233603045.jpg
So today, I grabbed a different arbor and saw, set the belt on the correct low speed pulleys and was able to cut through the 5/8" thick 1018 stock.
PXL_20220407_214647240.jpg
So two days, 1 dead saw blade, and one defective arbor later, I finally sliced a piece of steel in half. No injuries, so I count my blessings. McMaster agreed the arbor was out of spec and is sending me a new one. I will drill out this one and put in a larger and centered screw.

Tonight I was center punching steel plate. The plate has laser etched centre marks. I used my WiFi microscope and a tiny Starrett punch. Worked well.20220407_200439.jpg

Photo from the microscope software

Attachments

• 2022_04_07_19_53_57_286.png
    2022_04_07_19_53_57_286.png
    673.1 KB · Views: 25
I made garbage. I didn't notice that my collet draw bar came loose. I started having problems with depth of cut. and trashed the rod. I went to take it out of the collet and found it had loosened up... or as Joe Pie says, unloosened.
the damage I did today continued tonight.
I went to drill the cross bar for the lathe key. the 4140HT is not that hard, but it was not easy. The small pilot was fine, but the larger hole just wouldn't cut. Took out the cobalt drill bits and still wierd, then grab, finally got through.. Reamed.. deburred.
brought it over to the vise, heated it, started putting the bar through, going, then it started coming out of vise.. readjust it, in a better position... it's already tight and not even 1/3 in. tried reheating, but the key and t bar are heating together, tried cooling the t bar with acetone.. not helping.
ok, time to use the press. going, then stop... I think it galled up.. put some antisieze on it. not moving. heat it, press, bent the the t bar. straighten it. try again. nothing. Bang it in there. not moving. now banging the key.. what a mess.
change the bottle jack to a higher tonnage. it's moving again.. ok.. pretzel...
straighten it ... snap...

shower... hard alcohol... anger, ... realization I should have stopped when it was stuck and given it more thought... licking my wounds now...

The key is damaged from hammering... its usable, but not pretty. I might be able to fix it up with some knurling to hide the damage.
probably going to cut the T handle, then drill it out. Grrrrrrrrrr...

Back