[4]

POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I started working on a lathe bench this weekend. I have a SB model A that has been sitting on a skid since I got it a long time ago. I bought it thinking it was a parts machine, but after playing around with it I found out that it's a decent lathe. It needs a bench and a tail stock. I'll find the tail stock. I decided after digging around that I had enough material to piece together a bench. I had 2 pieces of 1/4 plate, some short pieces of square tube, some angle and a pile of drawers left over from some Lyon shelving. I got a lot of it cut up and tacked together. Unfortunately my tig welder refused to work. All I get is a high frequency spark. So I rolled out the old Lincoln stick welder. The challenge is ending up with something that is halfway square and straight. That and finding the time to finish it now that I started.
I spent some time this weekend working on a tail stock for my 9A. I did some trading for a Boxford tail stock that needed some repair. The camshaft and handle was missing and the end of the screw was pretty chewed up. I made the repairs and mounted it on the bed. Dialing it in will have to wait until I'm done with the bench so I can level it out. I took a cut the way it sits and it was off by 0.003 front to back. I can't seem to upload photos today. It says the file is too big for the server. Never had that happen before. 20190818_082950.jpg

Chuck K

Active User
I spent some time this weekend working on a tail stock for my 9A. I did some trading for a Boxford tail stock that needed some repair. The camshaft and handle was missing and the end of the screw was pretty chewed up. I made the repairs and mounted it on the bed. Dialing it in will have to wait until I'm done with the bench so I can level it out. I took a cut the way it sits and it was off by 0.003 front to back. I can't seem to upload photos today. It says the file is too big for the server. Never had that happen before. View attachment 300515
I spent some time this weekend working on a tail stock for my 9A. I did some trading for a Boxford tail stock that needed some repair. The camshaft and handle was missing and the end of the screw was pretty chewed up. I made the repairs and mounted it on the bed. Dialing it in will have to wait until I'm done with the bench so I can level it out. I took a cut the way it sits and it was off by 0.003 front to back. I can't seem to upload photos today. It says the file is too big for the server. Never had that happen before. View attachment 300515
This is a smaller file size. 20190818_175510.jpg

rwm

Active User
I parted out an old ultrasound machine today. It was amazing well constructed like a piece of aerospace equipment. I got lots of switches, cables and fasteners. I have this awesome aluminum rolling chassis left over:

1566178089996.png

Not sure what exactly to do with it! Is has about 10 bays for computer cards. It's about 3 x 3 x 2'. I hate to cut is up plus the panels have lots of holes in them so they would not be great for stock. Any thoughts?

Robert

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
Today i wanted to get started on the task of drilling the wheel spacers for the little niva, not having a decent drill press or a mill i had to get creative, started with chucking the MT2 drill in my lathes chuck and grabbing it by the handel in my tool holder, then i check it with a dial indicator and started spot drilling the already marked holes, i'm using the lathe as a giant drill stand.
IMG_20190817_111934.jpgIMG_20190817_112830.jpgIMG_20190817_120224_1.jpg

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I parted out an old ultrasound machine today. It was amazing well constructed like a piece of aerospace equipment. I got lots of switches, cables and fasteners. I have this awesome aluminum rolling chassis left over:

View attachment 300531

Not sure what exactly to do with it! Is has about 10 bays for computer cards. It's about 3 x 3 x 2'. I hate to cut is up plus the panels have lots of holes in them so they would not be great for stock. Any thoughts?

Robert
I'd buy some roller drawer slides off Amazon, pull out the bits from the left and right cavities, reinforce the frame a bit (close the back?) and fit a bunch of drawers to it. It would make a fantastic rolling tool chest.

I do that all the time on my lathe - I made a small drill chuck holder that runs it its own bearings with flats at the non-chuck end to attach a cordless drill to. I use the lathe like a super spacer (it has 60 holes in the bull gear and a locking pin in the headstock) to drill end on and from the side. I made it more as a proof of principle before making more QCTP blocks, but I've used it alot, most recently to do:

pontiac428

Mo-Max
@jdedmon91 , you should consider a billet bushing. There are a bunch of ways to stiffen the linkage, and when done right it'll feel like it's supposed to. IPG parts has been good to me, so I'm plugging them.

jdedmon91

Brass
Registered
@jdedmon91 , you should consider a billet bushing. There are a bunch of ways to stiffen the linkage, and when done right it'll feel like it's supposed to. IPG parts has been good to me, so I'm plugging them.
The truth is a friend handed me the busted bushing and I decided to duplicate it. I had the material and the time so I helped them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Have been looking for a 3hp single phase 220-240V motor for the 216 Quincy compressor I recently got up and running. Have been using a 5hp Baldor on it, but it's destined for a larger unit I'm finishing up. Remembered there were several motors in the trailer full of stuff I brought back from my dad's old shop. Took a look inside, and just like Goldilocks, some were to big, some were to small, but one was just right. Unfortunately it appeared to have been dropped from a great height, and would only turn 180 deg.. Hauled it into the shop, and tore it down. The fan cover had a 1 1/2" dent in the bottom and the plastic fan was cracked and missing several blades. Hammered out the fan cover, then proceeded to go to work on the motor base, which was bent out of shape in pretty much every plane. Got out the carburetor fine adjustment tool (24" cresent wrench) and worked it back into some semblance of straight and true, getting the last bit with a round of heat and beat. The shaft and armature were fine, with the exception of a few bent fins on the internal fan, and a few bent alum tangs on the armature, but the rear bearing would only go half a turn. Ordered Chinese sealed replacements from E-pay for $8 for both and free shipping. As I do with all Chinese bearings, I pulled the seals, flushed them out, and repacked them with a US made product. After sealing off internals, I bead blasted the housing and end covers, then put a coat of clear on the alum end covers, and Safety Blue on the rest. Let the paint dry overnight and assembled it today, did a quick hookup to my welder extension cord, and she runs like a champ. Still have to come up with a solution for the external cooling fan, but overall, pretty happy with result. Mike

Tried uploading pics for this, but no joy. Have never had a problem before. Anyone else having issues, or is it just me? Thanks, Mike

OK, went over to the GJ forum and posted the same pics I've been trying to post here, and no issue. Copied them from there and attached here, but still can't post here from my pics directly. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? No issues before this. Thanks, Mike

[IMG alt="Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_20190812_113053510.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 96.7 KB
ID: 920565"]https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=920565&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1566400080[/IMG]

Name: IMG_20190812_113127512.jpg
Size: 140.2 KB
ID: 920566"]https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=920566&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1566400080[/IMG]

Name: IMG_20190812_113612439.jpg
Size: 148.5 KB
ID: 920567"]https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=920567&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1566400080[/IMG]

Name: IMG_20190819_111109875.jpg
Size: 148.8 KB
ID: 920568"]https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=920568&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1566400080[/IMG]

Name: IMG_20190819_122320385.jpg
Size: 129.3 KB
ID: 920569"]https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=920569&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1566400080[/IMG]

Name: IMG_20190819_122735238.jpg
Size: 138.6 KB
ID: 920570"]https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=920570&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1566400080[/IMG]

Name: IMG_20190819_135103203.jpg
Size: 152.8 KB
ID: 920571"]https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=920571&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1566400080[/IMG]

Last edited:

Moper361

Registered
Hi Chuck can i ask is there any adjuster to go with that eccentric tail stock lock?.Reason i ask is i have a boxford lathe but have never noticed any adjuster for tail stock lock .And i know mines getting a little loose so wondering if it can be adjusted or if i need a new eccentric.Nice work that Chuck

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Have been looking for a 3hp single phase 220-240V motor for the 216 Quincy compressor I recently got up and running.
What kind of 3 phase power do you have in your shop?

Chuck K

Active User
Hi Chuck can i ask is there any adjuster to go with that eccentric tail stock lock?.Reason i ask is i have a boxford lathe but have never noticed any adjuster for tail stock lock .And i know mines getting a little loose so wondering if it can be adjusted or if i need a new eccentric.Nice work that Chuck
You adjust the tension by tightening the nut on the bottom. Unless I'm misunderstanding your question. If you're talking about slop in the shaft, there is no adjustment for that. There's a set screw that fits the groove at the end of the shaft, but it just keeps the shaft from moving laterally.

Moper361

Registered
You adjust the tension by tightening the nut on the bottom. Unless I'm misunderstanding your question. If you're talking about slop in the shaft, there is no adjustment for that. There's a set screw that fits the groove at the end of the shaft, but it just keeps the shaft from moving laterally.
Got it thanks Chuck

Muzzer

Registered
You'll need to ensure your cross slide (and top slide) gibs are very well adjusted (tightened). You have a very large overhang of the workpiece from the narrow cross slide dovetails and a beast of a cutter.

It might even be a good idea to consider a brace on the cross slide, picking up support on a sliding rail near the tailstock to give it a better rigidity.

You can get an idea of your rigidity using a dial indicator and heaving on the vise in a direction to and from the headstop.

bakrch

Made some wall hangers for the shop at work. This for the 5s+1 initiative our co is rolling out. I wanted to buy them as I became aware of their existence on this site, but could only source up to BXA size (These are CA).

Also got to cut aluminum for the first time on the Doosan DNM 500. Up until this point I have only cut aluminum on my hobby mill, so yeah this was pretty fun to go crazy on. I cut stainless on it all day though.

Also made a new stub nose for my hobby mill 4th axis. The 3 jaw chuck I had been using was just not cutting it. This will also allow me to keep a vise on the table. Usually I need clearance to slide the tailstock out of the way mid operation, so the vise always had to come off for that.

Used it for the first time last night, it sure is nice having repeatability for a change.

the old setup. Just a 3" grizzly chuck.

BenW

Registered
You'll need to ensure your cross slide (and top slide) gibs are very well adjusted (tightened). You have a very large overhang of the workpiece from the narrow cross slide dovetails and a beast of a cutter.

It might even be a good idea to consider a brace on the cross slide, picking up support on a sliding rail near the tailstock to give it a better rigidity.

You can get an idea of your rigidity using a dial indicator and heaving on the vise in a direction to and from the headstop.
Thanks for the input.
I've tried to adjust the gibs as best I could, and scraped a little bit of material off the crosslide gib which had poor contact.
Also I lock the axes not in use of course. Most of my shoptime today was spent making a dovetail cutter bit for my homemade boring bar, but I got to do a bit of milling too. Things went smooth, happy with the attachment so far. I started with the big end mill to mill a flat on a piece of round stock, then tried some slotting with a carbide end mill.
I got pretty alright surface finish with light cuts, I think the mass of the thing helps, and I kept the cutting forces pushing down on the bed.
Nevertheless, it's no milling machine.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
All day yesterday and probably all day today after work, i'm cleaning and reorganizing the big garage, lots of heavy big and small car parts to move, many trips to the storage shed, to the dump, to the scrapyard. In between moving stuff i'm also finishing the little niva i'll update it's own thread also i'm drilling the wheel spacers for it

stioc

Registered
I've started building Harold Hall's simple grinding rest. This is one of those projects that's been on my 'would love to make it some day' list for a long time. However, I have a hard time staying focused on bigger projects that require multiple parts and potentially many weekends making progress little by little so I haven't attempted it thus far. I blame it on living in the instant gratification era where all you need is a credit card and 2 days later parts magically appear at your doorstep lol.

Anyway, so after studying the plans (in millimeters) several times, I made a list of parts and went shopping a few days ago.

Yesterday and today rough cut and squared most of the parts:

Now Dykem is on, ready for layout work. I can do this in Fusion and just use CNC but I'm doing this the manual way:

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
Today i had some time to spare so i vent back to drilling the wheel spacers, i finished drilling the M12 holes chamfered them on both sides on all the spacers. Then i reset my lathe for the bigger (Lada) bolt pattern. I started again with spot drill, then small drill and went to 14mm but i found a hard spot and managed to burn up the drill bit. So i grabbed another one and finish drilling all the spacers to 14mm. Then come the part to improvise, the first spacer i did by hand drilling and was very difficult for the rest i made this setup, i turned down the centre of this HSS cutter and chucked it the drill, this is putting too big of load on the drill motor and the drill started to throw pieces of its insolation so i stopped and left it to cool down. I hope that cutter last long enough to finish the 15 holes, i also need to find other cutter with 60 degree taper.
IMG_20190819_183121.jpgIMG_20190820_173330.jpgIMG_20190822_130239.jpgIMG_20190822_130247.jpg

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
Working on a better mouse trap.
The inner seals on a Ford Super Duty front differential uses an expanding seal driver for both inner axle seals.
Ford has a new seal design but the old installer cuts the lip of the seal.
This is one side, the other side is pretty much the same but threaded. I’ll get started on that one next week.
Came out really good. I keep the excess stock.

Attachments

Last edited:

BGHansen

POTD was repairing the 6" x 48" sanding belt dust pick up on my Craftsman sander. It's a plastic half-tube with one screw attachment to the cast base. Snapped it off on a move years ago.

Dust collector pick up for the 6" x 48" belt on my Craftsman sander. Broke off the mounting screw area on the LH side.
20190814_200326.jpg

Broke off the mounting flange. Had glued it on a one point but couldn't find the broken piece, so on to Plan B
20190814_200334.jpg
20190814_200704.jpg

Roughed out a piece of 3/16" thick aluminum for a patch. Drew the rough lines with a Sharpie and milled it on my Bridgeport by hand.
20190814_200712.jpg

Drilled a couple of mounting holes in the plastic dust pick-up with a 10-32 tap drill. Then set the aluminum in place and marked a hole. Drilled and tapped the first hole, screwed the plate in place, then marked the second hole. Drilled/tapped the second hole and screwed the aluminum plate to the dust pick-up. Screwed a Heimann transfer screw into the sander mounting hole and tapped it to mark the center. Drilled a clearance hole for the 10-32 mounting screw on the drill press.

20190814_201418.jpg

20190814_201736.jpg

20190814_203717.jpg

The aluminum plate was the thickness of the plastic away from the sander frame, so made a steel bushing to fill the gap. Center drilled, through hole drilled, then parted to length on the lathe.
20190814_204934.jpg
20190814_205040.jpg
20190814_205438.jpg

Patch in place. Works as good as new though I'd call it ugly but effective.

Aluminum plate screwed to the plastic dust pick-up. Cap screw through the aluminum and steel bushing into the sander base.
20190814_205907.jpg

Dust pick-up in place. There's a port for the belt and the 9" disk. Made up the sheet metal manifold 35 years ago. Sorry, digital pictures weren't even thought of back then!
20190814_205919.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Bruce

BGHansen

POTD has been waaay too long in the works. I had a primarily wood shop in the basement of my old house before my wife and I married 28 years ago. My Grizzly 4-bag dust collector did a great job keeping debris just in the basement. It has a 3 HP motor and moves something like 2000 CFM. For comparison, a typical 2 HP shop vac moves about 250 CFM.

We bought 64-acres and built our current house a year after getting married. I finally got around to hooking up the dust collection system again. I had used just a single hose to the table saw on occasion and thickness planer, but the sander, band saw and router weren't hooked up.

I used 4" drain PVC and 4" flex hose from Grizzly for the plumbing. It's not shown, but there's a copper wire running through the PVC which goes to ground for static electricity. Don't know if it's just an urban legend or not, but supposedly the dust can spark and explode from the static electricity built up on the plastic tubing. I ran a lot of wood through my planer and table saw without static electricity protection back in the day; have never witnessed or read a true account of a fire, but figured it was easy enough to run the wire as a precaution.

The blast gates were shop-made 35 years ago. Used 3/4" thick hard maple, 1/8" masonite and a 4" drain union cut in half. Used construction adhesive to hold it all together, but beefed them up with some screws before hanging them on the wall.

Thanks for looking.

Bruce

Grizzly 3 HP dust collector in the far corner. Use a Grizzly "Long Ranger" remote switchable 220V plug to turn the system on/off.
20190824_202353.jpg

The flex hoses are hung on the wall when not in use. My only concern is the dust from the far end might fall down the "Y's" as it travels to the collector. Might have to turn them 90 deg. so the junctions are flat to the world. I did plane 100 board feet of black walnut using the far-end port and had very minimal chip dropage into the sander and band saw runs, so probably OK.
20190824_202408.jpg

Shop-made blast gate. They were around $20 each back in the day. Wouldn't even consider making them now as they are available for around $5 each.
20190824_202635.jpg

Last edited:

Radials

I've been needing a decent oil cup and made this one today from some loose pieces of scrap. The body is 2" diameter .120 wall tubing and the top/ bottom are 3/8" thick x 1-3/4 diameter slugs.

IMG_6748.JPGIMG_6754.jpg

[5] [7]