POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I bought a lovely Pratt Burnard 6" 3 jaw adjust Tru at an auction last summer, but haven't made a thread dial for the SB heavy 9 so I could make a back plate. Anyway, I traded a vise for a rotary table and a 1-1/2"-8 tpi back plate that had a really thick boss.

So I faced the boss end that had the recess, turned it round and cut the recess for the new "back". Then turned down the boss for the adjust Tru part, faced it and turned down the OD to that of the chuck. Located the holes, drilled and taped them then fitted the chuckIMG_20220512_173151.jpgIMG_20220512_173159.jpgIMG_20220512_182112.jpgIMG_20220512_182125.jpg

Chucked up a gauge pin and got it to repeat to within a thou total run out at different diameters. That'll do!

I bought a lovely Pratt Burnard 6" 3 jaw adjust Tru at an auction last summer, but haven't made a thread dial for the SB heavy 9 so I could make a back plate. Anyway, I traded a vise for a rotary table and a 1-1/2"-8 tpi back plate that had a really thick boss.

So I faced the boss end that had the recess, turned it round and cut the recess for the new "back". Then turned down the boss for the adjust Tru part, faced it and turned down the OD to that of the chuck. Located the holes, drilled and taped them then fitted the chuckView attachment 406833View attachment 406834View attachment 406835View attachment 406836

Chucked up a gauge pin and got it to repeat to within a thou total run out at different diameters. That'll do!
A heavy 9? I didn't know one existed. I knew a heavy 10.. pics? BTW nice chuck... nice backplate.

A heavy 9? I didn't know one existed. I knew a heavy 10.. pics? BTW nice chuck... nice backplate.
It was from before the workshop 9 (A/B/C) came out in the early 30s. The precision series used the same bed and carriage/ apron for both the 9 and 10" lathes, but differed in the headstock/ cross slide/ tailstock (maybe the QCGB, but I'm not sure). So the "heavy" 9 has the same 7" wide bed as the "heavy" 10 does. It's pretty heavy and stout for its size, I think about 500lb?

IMG_0016.JPG

I like it alot :)

Sawed lumber in the heat, 32 C here today, but low humidity.
400 board foot of 1 x 10 white pine for siding.
Apparently is selling for $3 a board foot, people are crazy.
DSC_0819.JPG

Greg

Made a simple jig to hold the brass set screws so I could drill the holes for the tungsten rods. A set for 1/16" and a set for 3/32"

IMG_5801.jpeg
IMG_5802.jpeg

I thought I had ordered the diamond wheels... but I never did... so those should be here tomorrow so I can finish this project...

IMG_5804.jpeg
IMG_5806.jpeg

It was a cool project... and I know, I know, many available adapters that I could have purchased for less than what I spent on doing this... but that is not really the idea, right?

Tungsten grinding options.jpg

Looks great! I just purchased the 3 rivers one off fleabay to stick on my dremel. I've sharpened a couple tungsten's and do see a difference between the arc with them when compared to my hand held on a bench grinder. I like your being able to mount the grinder set up better.

Finally done! Way more work than I thought it would be. Stripping the old 80 year old paint wasn't bad. I used a needle scaler and it worked well. It was all the scrubbing with scotch brite pads and Xylol to get the grime off, then wipe it all down again that wore me out. Scrubbing old iron on your hands and knees is not for the old. Anyways new paint job with red accents on the important stuff. Almost to nice to use it now.
NS1.jpg
NS2.jpg

Back