POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My starett hermaphrodite marking calliper arrived so I cleaned, de rusted and re blacked the thumbscrews. Before:
825884B0-301D-41CD-A400-6AECF88B67C1.jpeg
after:
5171B2D1-6E3D-45C5-9933-DC5849F30978.jpeg 5A67BCEC-3641-482E-9E9B-888451BE2D81.jpeg AC251035-D830-40AE-9054-325AD7DC5F64.jpeg
I also cut a blank off of a larger bar for what will eventually be a solid tool post for my lathe.
32111686-4669-4AB1-955C-8B8D60F856D0.jpeg

Winegrower

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
To test the dovetail cutters I made the other day, I practiced on some kind of hard plastic I had, and cut a dovetail modeled on the CXA toolpost. When I finished, it actually fit, seemed too good to just put back in stock, so I added a couple of metric dial indicators that were supposed to be imperial, but...since I had no real other use, too troublesome to send back, I mounted them on the dovetail so that one could check axial runout, while by using the other position on the QCTP, radial can be checked. Metric vs. imperial, we’re just looking for needle movement.
It seems quite handy compared to setting up a magnetic stand, and the way I was previously holding my indicator it frees up a $25 tool holder, 59C03940-02BB-4113-8F0E-9BDDA0D3AB9E.jpeg

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Winegrower -
That's not just a good use for a "practice piece," but also a great way to make lemonade from an excess of lemons!

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Today i've been picking up trash and reorganising the big garage and some of my spare parts i filled up 5 big garbage bags with trash. And i still have maybe double that to throw away. My steel toe boots got a real test, a shelf collapse and a cylinder head landed right on my foot and a steel air clean housing hit me in my teeth, fun fun. As the sun come down the temperature dropped so i went to the smaller garage where i tested the electric motor and garage fan that i bought yesterday. They both are working, both are quiet smooth starting no vibration.
IMG_20200120_190631.jpg IMG_20200120_190907_1.jpg

derfatdutchman

Registered
Registered
Trying to be more organized, and get stuff off my work bench. Had enough plywood to make a small wall hung shelf for the mill. For us old timers it’s basically a telephone shelf. Flat top, space for the swivel base and a drawer with sliding tray for end mills.
83A79399-2AE0-4F3B-BB05-2CEA37270210.jpeg BBA8DE7B-C008-445B-B258-AC21E505D4A4.jpeg EC260EB8-BF59-4257-9023-770DB36F9C41.jpeg

MrCrankyface

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I made this little distributor yesterday, the tiny tube is the input and the solenoid valves are the outputs.
Still struggling with TIG welding, I made it much too difficult for myself here by not cleaning the material so there was still quite some oil in the parts I had done on the lathe and I also forgot to turn on the gas, sending tungsten right into the molten puddle.. :grin:
Need to test it for leaks some day ..

The threaded pieces and endcaps are made from solid bar in the lathe, the tube with the cutouts I just cleaned up and cut holes in.
IMG_0081.JPEG
IMG_0082.JPEG

eugene13

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Today i had some time to spare so i decided to spend it cleaning the machine shop, it was a real mess the first picture is after one trash bag full and an hour of cleaning and to finish it took me 3 hours in tatal and 2 trash bags.
IMG_20200122_191732.jpg IMG_20200122_200815.jpg

Last edited:

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I hope that's not the garbage pile in picture 1!

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I hope that's not the garbage pile in picture 1!
Yeah that one, i keep some of the drill bits and handles, there was a lot more on the left. In fact there was no space to walk around and work.

AGCB97

H-M Platinum Supporter
You need a larger warehouse.

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
That's one honkin' huge drill bit in your first picture!

mattthemuppet2

wow, that is simply beautiful. I had dreams of building my own bass guitar when I was a teenager and played it, but never got further than that. How's it play?

silverhawk

Registered
Registered
I started making the backplate for the 3" independent 4-jaw chuck for the dividing head (1 3/4-8 TPI). I bored it first :

I used a small threading tool (too small for the 1 3/4-8 thread) to try and get the thread close. I switched over to a larger boring bar to hog out as much as I could without deforming the thread. Then (because I wanted the thread perfect) I used a 1 3/4-8 tap to finish the threads :

One has to check the thread to make sure it fits the intended target, so, yeah, I picked up the entire dividing head and threaded it in to make sure :

Next was getting the thread sizes. It's a three-bolt-pattern. I measured using actual pins here, but took the picture without the pins as the reminder of what I did when doing the calculations :

With a segment spacing, of 2.25", I could start calculating the diameter of the pattern. I spent about a half hour on it before my brain kicked in, and I grabbed my Machinists Handbook.

There is a table of segment sizes based on a 1" diameter. For the three segment pattern, the segment size is 0.866025" . I divided the segment size (2.25") by the table size (0.866025") and got 2.598". Divided by 2, and it's a 1.299" radius. Now, I can put the back plate backwards on the dividing head, install it to my mill centered on the spindle, and then move the table 1.299" in any direction, and then I can mill the pockets and drill the holes for the bolts, yank the plate and install the chuck.

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
While out running errands today I picked up a dozen 4" x 5/16" bolts, nuts, washers to fasten the lathe to the bench.
Tonight I marked the holes, shift the beast over, drilled and bolted it down. Feels permanent now :)
I think I'm going to turn a test bar to check alignment.

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
To test the dovetail cutters I made the other day, I practiced on some kind of hard plastic I had, and cut a dovetail modeled on the CXA toolpost. When I finished, it actually fit, seemed too good to just put back in stock, so I added a couple of metric dial indicators that were supposed to be imperial, but...since I had no real other use, too troublesome to send back, I mounted them on the dovetail so that one could check axial runout, while by using the other position on the QCTP, radial can be checked. Metric vs. imperial, we’re just looking for needle movement.
It seems quite handy compared to setting up a magnetic stand, and the way I was previously holding my indicator it frees up a $25 tool holder, View attachment 311055
Excellent idea, I notice a metal plate on one side of the dovetail, is that just a packer or is a wear plate?

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Its your tool, so your call. I do like the use of an experimental cut job.

ddickey

Making Mark Frazier's tool and cutter grinder, I should say trying to. Need to find a motor and get some hand wheels and a base as well. I bought an X Y table but it's still sitting in the box. Long way to go.
1580180005011.png

rwm

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Making Mark Frazier's tool and cutter grinder, I should say trying to. Need to find a motor and get some hand wheels and a base as well. I bought an X Y table but it's still sitting in the box. Long way to go.
That looks beautiful so far!
Robert

LarryTheKing

Registered
Registered
Swapped out the R8 spindle in the CNC mill's Bridgeport head with an Erickson QC30 taper one I picked up on eBay.
Figured I might as well do a bearing rebuild on the head while it was all apart, so ordered the spindle and step-pulley rebuild kits from H&W.
Boy oh boy was the rebuild more trouble than I expected. I should have taken more pictures, but some of the highlights were:
  • Stuck spindle pulley hub nuts. Someone had this head apart in the past and used a punch/hammer to unscrew the face pin spanner nuts on the pulley assembly. Took both the torch and a wrench with an 8ft! cheater bar (PVC pipe) to break those loose! Ordered new nuts to replace the ruined ones.
  • Pulley hub shaft had been mushroomed at the end (maybe from someone beating on it instead of the draw-bar) and needed threads chased on the lathe. Probably also contributed to the seized nuts.
  • Lots of old stuck bearings, including one blind bore one in the backgear assembly. Used a variation of the "grease" method (white bread instead of grease!) to hydraulically push this one out. However, got too excited when it started to move and knocked a hole in the backgear casting...
    • Ended up boring out the cracked hole and loctite-ing in a plug
  • Discovered that the spindle quill nose piece is different for Erickson QC30 than for the standard R8. You also need to slide this piece on the end of the spindle before installing the precision bearings, otherwise you've made an expensive mistake.

I was very lucky that a business called High Quality Tools is here in Cleveland and that they stock Bridgeport parts. The guys there were pretty knowledgeable (they make their parts here in Cleveland) and even had the special Erickson quill nose piece in stock.

Below are the only pictures I thought to take, but wow was this fun!

IMG_20200121_122402.jpg
IMG_20200121_185625.jpg

IMG_20200116_183136.jpg
IMG_20200115_114925_01_01.jpg
IMG_20200115_140124.jpg

IMG_20200115_135331.jpg
IMG_20200121_191447.jpg

mattthemuppet2

what an adventure. I would only have suggested you make that plug removeable, just in case you need to push that bearing out in the future.

tjb

H-M Platinum Supporter
Made this mini magnetic sweeper to complement my larger store-bought version. Actually made it last week, but the plastic end caps just arrived a few minutes ago.

Several years ago, I saw a roofing crew use the grand daddy version of sweeper to pick up roofing nails from a job site. Found a smaller version for the shop, and it's been great for cleaning up magnetic material after milling. But that one is a little too big to reach down into the lathe to clean up after turning, so I got some 1" x 2" extruded aluminum to make a smaller version. I used 1/4" brass to make the long rod, some 3/4" magnets epoxied to a piece of aluminum for the sweep, and a piece of 1/2" stainless tubing for the handle. I also made the T-handle out of a piece of 3/4" solid round aluminum. Now I can get under the ways on the lathe much more easily without having to reach and scrape. It'll probably be somewhat beneficial under and around them mill and drill press as well.

Other than the piece of extruded 1" x 2", all materials were either scrap or leftovers laying around the shop.

Regards,
Terry

Next to its store-bought big brother:
IMG_0377.jpg

Sweep it under the ways after turning:
IMG_0381.jpg

Pull the handle, and you're done:
IMG_0382.jpg

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
I love that idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock