POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Super simple project. I bent the rod for moving the ram on my Bridgeport when initially moving it. Turned down some SS303 to size, cut threads on the ends, and now it looks much nicer. Sure, I could have used a piece of all-thread. But what fun is that?

It was partly for practice and working with the ELS. It was great to tap a couple of buttons to change feed speeds and switch to threading. Got some practice with the thread mic as well.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Today i had some time to spare so i decided to finish one shaft i had welded up, it was a pretty simple task, where i had to cut off the weld and straighten it by taking material off, i left it longer not knowing what i'll be using it for. I have few projects in the works but i need to finish my car projects first. IMG_20200229_155133.jpg IMG_20200229_160039.jpg IMG_20200229_161938.jpg IMG_20200229_162739_1.jpg

BROCKWOOD

I don't know what to call the 2 blocks that bolt onto a mill spindle that drive tool holders. I have 1 of them still attached.

20180624 02.jpg

I decided to make another out of round stock in the lathe.

20200229 02.jpg

It was actually liberating in a sense - because the 4 jaw chuck would hold the sides square to each new face.

20200302 02.jpg

I started with the bolt hole & centered my sides on it. The final bolt head recess depth was saved the for last.

20200302 01.jpg

Trimmed a bolt for it & good to go!

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I don't know what to call the 2 blocks that bolt onto a mill spindle that drive tool holders. I have 1 of them still attached.

View attachment 315517

I decided to make another out of round stock in the lathe.

View attachment 315518

It was actually liberating in a sense - because the 4 jaw chuck would hold the sides square to each new face.

View attachment 315519

I started with the bolt hole & centered my sides on it. The final bolt head recess depth was saved the for last.

View attachment 315520

Trimmed a bolt for it & good to go!
Very nice!, I have been looking for an excuse to make something square with my lathe.

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Nice littel shop project. But as you know, the old saying, "A lathe is for making square things round & a mill is for making round things square!" apart from being just an old saying, because clever people have been making square things rond in a mill as well as making round things square in a lathe for long time, It's another case "As needs must".

I remember many years back as an apprentice, one of the first things we had to do was to make a small 2.5 inch toolmakers "G" clamp using only a lathe, hack saw and file, from a one inch slice off a 4" round bar. plus a drill bit and a tap.

Downunder Bob

Staff member
Interesting looking tool post, another variation on the QCTP, do you have any good shots of it, what brand or is it home made?

BROCKWOOD

Downunder Bob wrote: "Interesting looking tool post, another variation on the QCTP, do you have any good shots of it, what brand or is it home made?"

It's a Shars BX made to fit my Grizzly G0773 combo. Had to mod the center post to mount it. Then had to mod the tool holders to get down to the centerline & now I've made a 3/4" insert holder to fit. Still have to mind the weaker points (like the lathe itself), but sturdier!

20200125 02.jpg

Ah, the mods the machine has endured to learn how to walk & to talk. LOL

Downunder Bob

Staff member
Sorry Brockwood, the question was intended for GoceKU, My fault I failed to make it clear who I was talking to.

Your toolpost is basically the same as an aloris, and others, but his appears different.

BROCKWOOD

No worries Bob. His IS a real lathe with a stout QCTP! Seen em before, but don't know the specs. I forgot this IS a General Thread.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Interesting looking tool post, another variation on the QCTP, do you have any good shots of it, what brand or is it home made?
Only marking it has are " PPT 2000 00/2" , couple of my friends have the same tool holders, i'm not sure is it russian or serbian made, but it works. Making square items on a lathe takes a lot of time to set up but it is a fun challenge.
IMG_20200225_154112_1.jpg

mattthemuppet2

made some QCTP holders :)
IMG_9305.JPG

see

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
made some QCTP holders :)
View attachment 315639

see
Some? The words, heard, flock, or school come to mind.

silverhawk

Registered
Registered
Downunder Bob wrote: "Interesting looking tool post, another variation on the QCTP, do you have any good shots of it, what brand or is it home made?"

It's a Shars BX made to fit my Grizzly G0773 combo. Had to mod the center post to mount it. Then had to mod the tool holders to get down to the centerline & now I've made a 3/4" insert holder to fit. Still have to mind the weaker points (like the lathe itself), but sturdier!

View attachment 315566

Ah, the mods the machine has endured to learn how to walk & to talk. LOL
Do you have a forum thread write up on those changes?

joe

BROCKWOOD

silverhawk wrote, "Do you have a forum thread write up on those changes?" in regard to what I thought Downunder Bob was asking. Joe, https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/g0773-lathe-mill-combo.73973/ is my thread on all of my Grizzly mods. It's a learn as I go - complete with a few oops as well.

But mattthemuppet2, in my opinion, has a better topic for this thread (or perhaps his own) as Chinese parts ain't comin for a while in normal conditions. This thread is also on the Dhal22 Unimat Dead Center topic. Reminds me that I need a smaller tipped MT3 live center than I'm trying to get by with.

So, Joe I PM'd ya bout your situ.

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Friend came to me with a job. He mangled the knurling on a endcap that goes on one of his gun parts. Was alittle intimidated by the size and features needed but I said I’d give it a try. OD of the part was a touch under 1.0 about .450 thick, recessed with a 28 pitch thread to the end.
33CDC8E0-2819-4E79-A2ED-5FA8BC7A2821.jpeg 57B3C808-0C96-4B3E-A764-9359BCAD9E20.jpeg
I couldn’t figure out how to duplicate the knurl which is different than what I’m use too. There is a ridge line on top of the points of knurl. Anyways I knurled the part first and then started carving out all the other features. Threading was last I ended up using a left hand hss tool that I ground, cut a thread relief with the thread tool then cut the thread in rev.
Other than finding a way to align the thread tool because a fish was to large for such a small thread point. Which I’d love to hear how to align a tool that has such a small tip. Thread turned out nice no slop in threads
D2682E24-70F4-47B7-92E7-56DE2550F1C6.jpeg
Friend was hystatic that I was able to do it and not gonna lie I was too for the fact it only took one try and the thread turned out perfect.
Now all he has to do is get it powder coated or whatever he wants my job is done. Oh and it was made out of scrap. Thanks for looking.

721C839F-414D-4E9F-B282-8F5E719DD9CE.jpeg 7CC17DA0-FB52-455A-BEF0-1027969F288E.jpeg

ChrisAttebery

Rocket Nerd
Registered
I bought my son a desk lamp a while back. He said it buzzed and distracted him while he was doing his homework. I bought him a new one and forgot about it. Fast forward a few months and I needed a lamp for my lathe so I thought I’d convert it to a machine lamp. I took it apart and realized the buzz was from a bad solder joint. I moved the ballast into a metal project box. I designed and machined a bracket. Finally I screwed a big magnet onto the box and I’ve got a new lathe light.

Franko

Active User
After all that work on the last keyboard workstation, I decided to upgrade the full-size keyboard music workstation and make it more furniture like. The original was just a little too hip for the living room.

61 key stand_293.JPG

The new station is more furniture-like and matches the color scheme of my entertainment center.
It incorporates a larger monitor (for my old eyes) and drawers.
It's made of 1/2" Baltic birch plywood, painted.
The previous small keyboard station and the old full-size one have both returned to the parts bin.

IMG_1392.JPG

I added some nice display cabinet lights so I can see the faces of the rack mount equipment.
They are LED about a foot long and brightness and color temperature adjustable.

IMG_1396.JPG

I milled brackets for them from 1" x 1/16" aluminum angle glued to the lights with hot melt, and mounted them to the stand with little ball and socket fixtures. The ball and socket fixtures attach to the cabinet with t-nuts.

IMG_1400.JPG

I can play in the dark, now.

IMG_1394.JPG

pdentrem

Active User
Registered
This is for my Explore Scientific 12” truss telescope that I had purchased used as is.
1CF06B29-03A0-4A46-B348-4AF8136A4B6B.jpeg 622E98FC-90E0-4E3C-9FD9-EB68E62F60EB.jpeg 7FA51385-1995-497E-92D6-06CF69779977.jpeg 46B97AA5-7185-4634-AABF-5942DA1E1B7B.jpeg EEAF7911-3178-48E2-86CA-DE87441CFCEF.jpeg Did a bit more work on the telescope mirror cell today. Added the small piece on the inside of the triangle for the mirror support and started drilling holes for hardware. I may modify the original design a bit by moving the mirror closer to the center to allow a 4 post whiffle tree edge support.
The original mirror cell is made of aluminum 1x1/2” tubing, while I am using 1” sq steel tubing.

Franko

Active User
After I finished the new music workstation, I noticed that it made everything past it look cluttered.

IMG_1399.JPG

So, I decided to make a matching drawer cabinet to rest on the right side of the drawing table.
It has 5 drawers and make that part of the room look a little more civilized, plus it gives me a nice work surface for sketches and reference material used when I draw plans.

IMG_1401.JPG

The drawers are big enough to hold the 17 x 22 paper that I use to draw plans.
You may notice the Gerstner tool chest left of the drawing board. I modified it by removing the lid and building a multi drawer cabinet.
That cabinet was my very first project after I got my first table saw.
It holds pens, brushes, prismacolor pencils, ad markers, scales and guides that I used to use to make a living.

I also made the drawing board using hardware from a lesser board.
I also modified the arms of the drafting machine by shortening them so it would better serve my small drawing board.

IMG_1405.JPG

Peaches, the cat, is unimpressed.
Thanks for looking.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock