POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

silverhawk

Registered
Registered
did my very first weld at the weekend EVER! Was super exciting
Unfortunately, now I want a welder

Anyway, making some new vise jaws for my HF 4x6 bandsaw. The current ones have pi$$ed me off since I got it and I have a 2x2 stick of QCTP holders I can't cut as the jaws don't extend close enough to the blade to hold the work.

So cut up a nice piece of 3/8" thick angle iron I found at the side of the road (I think), then milled some slots, drilled some holes etc etc. Finally I used my friend's MIG welder and flux core wire (he doesn't have gas for MIG) to weld some braces to the back of the angle iron for some stiffening. Huge amounts of fun. I might need to help him make a welding table as the plastic picnic table he uses started melting towards the end of the job.

I picked one of the nicer welds for a picture

View attachment 317512

here's what they look like compared to the original moving jaw
View attachment 317513

haven't finished them yet (having some issues with tram on the mill) but had to put them back on the bandsaw to cut some material for a cargo rack tongue extension. Here you can also see a "not quite QR yet" jack screw to prevent the moving jaw from wracking when holding short stuff. I love my bandsaw - made a coffee AND had a crap while it cut this piece.
View attachment 317514

also split the nut to take a whole load of slop out of the moving jaw
View attachment 317515

and made a T-nut for the fixed jaw as the original set up was a nut and bolt, with the nut underneath the saw. Figured I might as well fix that annoyance while I was at it
View attachment 317516

now I have to record some lectures so I can get back to my rack project..
For a first weld, that doesn't look bad at all! Nice!

joe

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
thanks! some of the others didn't look as nice, but nothing that a grinder and some paint can't fix :)

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
Better video of the extractor at work, whilst whittling always on my lathe toolpost. Now that I’ve re-positioned it it works very well. The PETG its printed from shrugs off hot chips... I thought that the hotter ones might have embedded themselves in it but no - and they seem not to be bothering the flexible conduit either.

Of course, now that I’m about 3/4s of the way through milling the toolpost, the speed control on my mill has decided to give up the ghost. I think it’s just a bad potentiometer (I hope it’s just the pot) but I can’t get a replacement till next week. Boo.

rwm

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
That's a serious cut. I always worry when my tools make that much smoke. Maybe I shouldn't?
Robert

mattthemuppet2

I wouldn't worry, it's doing its job. Be neat to have a fume extractor like that though!

As for me, got another job finished today. We bought a really nice folding cargo rack off CL for when we go camping or end up moving, so the dog has more space in the back of the car (Subaru wagon). Only problem is that the hitch is recessed and the tongue isn't long enough to safely go in the hitch and have the trunk lid open over the cargo bag. So I made an extension to the tongue :)

starting random scrap. New bandsaw vise jaws came in handy for this one.

IMG_9335.JPG

pieces milled/ filed to shape
IMG_9336.JPG

pressed and screwed together. Hitch pin hole is tapped 1/2-13 so I can use the same hitch pin as I have on my Yakima bike rack.
IMG_9338.JPG

installed on the rack. Extension is held in place with a couple of washers and screws that go in the original 5/8" hitch pin hole.
IMG_9339.JPG

works a treat. Tongue now goes to within 1/2" of the end of the hitch tube, there's plenty of steel left in the hitch and the little 4-40 screw means that the hole lines up right everytime (need to do that for my bike rack).
IMG_9340.JPG

very pleased with myself and reinforces my habit of never walking past an interesting piece of scrap at the scrapyard..

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
That's a serious cut. I always worry when my tools make that much smoke. Maybe I shouldn't?
Robert
There’s smoke due to the cutting oil... is it a big cut? 2mm doc by 20mm, 40mm dia 5 flute carbide cutter, 750ish rpm and hand cranked as fast as I feel isn’t pushing it. (78 thou, .75 inch, 1.5inch respectively).

silverhawk

Registered
Registered
What is the difference between an introvert being required to work from home and an introvert who goes in to the office? The introvert at home doesn't feel as taxed by interactions and is finally willing to go to the store and pick up wood for a project long overdue.

Seriously, this project has been on the docket for years. A few years back, I picked up a Gerstner full of machine tools, and recently a Harbor Freight wood tool box. They have sat on 2x4's on my mechanics creeper since then, namely because my car project is too low to use the creeper, and I didn't have the room. It was made from 2x4's, 2x6's, and plywood. All of the joints are half-lapped at the corners. The legs (2x6's) were only lapped on the 1.5" side for the two shelves.

For the legs, I just clamped them together and made all of the kerf cuts at the same time (this will keep things in the right distances). I used a hammer and chisel after the saw to get it flat.

Glued the legs on (the front two were glued to the top shelf, and the back two legs glued to the bottom - this would allow me to assemble and glue everything together in two parts later).

I did the same for the cross brace in the back.

All glued together :

I need to get it anchored to the wall before we experience another earthquake, but I finally have the tool boxes off of the ground and room to walk around.

It is definitely stout. The lower shelf has my indexing head, angle vise and tooling for the mill. That's a bag of green sand for casting (when I finally get around to that).

Franko

Active User
I've always gotten my rubber gloves and face masks from Harbor Freight.
I got an email this morning informing that they will no longer sell these items to the public but will instead donate them to hospitals in the areas they serve. Cool move.

I have about a half box each of rubber gloves and surgical masks in my shop. I took all but a handful of them to my local fire station yesterday.

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
Of course, now that I’m about 3/4s of the way through milling the toolpost, the speed control on my mill has decided to give up the ghost. I think it’s just a bad potentiometer (I hope it’s just the pot) but I can’t get a replacement till next week. Boo.
it’s not just a bad pot. Well, the pot was bad... look at the wire wound segment. Completely buggered.
08BE35FF-56AD-4B62-BEAC-DA0EAFA615CF.jpeg

Spent Sunday routing around in the control box, and after much scratching of head and hemming and hawing with my multimeter, it looks as if the SCRs and Power Diodes have let the smoke out.

455ED944-A1E1-4F85-A189-C2D9AC4A290A.jpeg

2B80A009-BA79-4BF7-A3CC-6494848D98D9.jpeg
Sigh. Off we go to Farmell / Mouser and anywhere else on the web that might have them. Good job I stumbled across this site:

this chap has been through my my pain as well.

Last edited:

eugene13

Here'w a look at a simple mount for the steering rack on my son's rat rod project, It looks klunky to me and I asked him if he wanted me to pretty it up, his answer, "It's a rat rod, it only needs to be functional". Klunktional, look that up in your Funk and Wagnell.

Attachments

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I cleaned up an old Starrett 57A scribe that my dad gave me. It was a bit rusty and had some ancient masking tape stuck to it. Evaporust and a few minutes with the buffer seemed to have done the trick.
I also disassembled this little Jacobs chuck and it got the same treatment. This is going on my sorely underpowered Craftsman drill press. The capacity is 0 - 1/4". Anything bigger goes to the mill.
20200323_133148.jpg

GunsOfNavarone

At work I needed a way to dress these diamond wheels. Need to do it very evenly and change overall profile as little as possible. Pretty much needs to be help dead on center. Came up with this, attach to drill and stone it. Work awesome and saves me about $500 sending them out.

Attachments

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
A couple things done yesterday and today. I had bought a cheap EBAY roller guide for the plasma cutter but had a makeshift sleeve to fit it to the torch. This is a much better one and easy to remove for using the diy circle cutter guide. The torch simply drops into a ball bearing so you don't have to twist you hand as you cut around the circle. Made 8, 13 and 18" rods to accommodate most circles.

While I had plastic rod chucked in the lathe I also made a holder for a endo scope that fits in the holder for the USB microscope.

Thanks
Aaron

Attachments

GunsOfNavarone

A couple things done yesterday and today. I had bought a cheap EBAY roller guide for the plasma cutter but had a makeshift sleeve to fit it to the torch. This is a much better one and easy to remove for using the diy circle cutter guide. The torch simply drops into a ball bearing so you don't have to twist you hand as you cut around the circle. Made 8, 13 and 18" rods to accommodate most circles.

While I had plastic rod chucked in the lathe I also made a holder for a endo scope that fits in the holder for the USB microscope.

Thanks
Aaron
Look up opennrgdotcom on youtube. He makes a rip gate/fence, circle cutter for plasma cutter. Really cool stuff. I bought it and love it. I guess if you just wanted some ideas to make your own..there is that too.
he has 2 videos...this is
1 of 2

extropic

Active User
Registered
At work I needed a way to dress these diamond wheels. Need to do it very evenly and change overall profile as little as possible. Pretty much needs to be help dead on center. Came up with this, attach to drill and stone it. Work awesome and saves me about $500 sending them out.
More details please. Sorry if I seem dense, but I'd like to understand what you're doing.
You write "these diamond wheels", but I don't see any diamond wheels.
Apparently you made an arbor, but I don't know what the part (cylindrical w/ V-groove) in the third photo is, or how it's used. What is it? How is it used? What are you dressing the diamond wheels with?
Can you show some pictures of the wheel dressing process?

GunsOfNavarone

Sorry @extropic , I didn't suspect there would be interest in the details. That small wheel that I am dressing is a brass wheel that has a very fine diamond grit that is through out it. It actually leaves a gloss like surface on very hard plastics. i.e. polycarbonate and a material like poly, but is harder and less sensitives to chemicals. The brass/diamond wheel fits perfectly on the step on the arbor I made, it fits very solid,no play and dead on center. You wouldn't want any run out as the issue is, the plastics I run on it clogs up the wheel, at about 1200 runs, it needs dressing. Normally I send them to the manufacturer and it's not free, and the wheels are about $450 a pop, so I only have about 12. When shipping them back and forth
(they are not fast, and NOW, it's a problem as they are an Italian company. MEI if interested.) so many are tied up in shipping. I mount them in a drill chuck horizontally and running at full speed, run them for about 35-45 seconds (sometimes more) until they are evenly clean. (a lot of water and moderate pressure with a low abrasive stone.) I'll make a video at some point....but pretty boring, maybe I put and "after" picture of the wheel.

Lonnie

Registered
Registered
I made some spinning tops for my nephews at Christmas time and decided to build another for myself today. I made the outer ring from brass and the center from 6061 aluminum. Bearing is 4mm press fit. Maiden spin was just over 12 minutes.
I found out it's pretty hard to get a good photo of shiny things.

extropic

Active User
Registered
Sorry @extropic , I didn't suspect there would be interest in the details. That small wheel that I am dressing is a brass wheel that has a very fine diamond grit that is through out it. It actually leaves a gloss like surface on very hard plastics. i.e. polycarbonate and a material like poly, but is harder and less sensitives to chemicals. The brass/diamond wheel fits perfectly on the step on the arbor I made, it fits very solid,no play and dead on center. You wouldn't want any run out as the issue is, the plastics I run on it clogs up the wheel, at about 1200 runs, it needs dressing. Normally I send them to the manufacturer and it's not free, and the wheels are about $450 a pop, so I only have about 12. When shipping them back and forth
(they are not fast, and NOW, it's a problem as they are an Italian company. MEI if interested.) so many are tied up in shipping. I mount them in a drill chuck horizontally and running at full speed, run them for about 35-45 seconds (sometimes more) until they are evenly clean. (a lot of water and moderate pressure with a low abrasive stone.) I'll make a video at some point....but pretty boring, maybe I put and "after" picture of the wheel.
Thank you.
Would you say the process is more "cleaning" the wheel rather than removing brass/diamond matrix to true it?
It sound like you have a great deal of experience doing this, but my $0.02; I would try using a paste of abrasive cleanser powder (Comet, Ajax, etc) w/ water rather than a stone. Or possibly, a paste of cleanser/water on the stone. Just a thought.
Thanks for posting.

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Today i had small project to do on my lathe so i took couple of pictures to share it. The project was to enlarge the centre hole of couple of 16" car rims. The first task was to modify the hub i'm using to hold the rims, i cut the centre of the hub and made a relief for the cutter then mounted the rim and made couple of cuts to bring it to size. Quick project and as big in diameter as my lathe can handle, not bad for a small machine as my.
View attachment 314556 View attachment 314557 View attachment 314558 View attachment 314559 View attachment 314560 View attachment 314561
Please tell me that is not a gash cut in the lathe bed with an angle grinder.

rwm

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I made some spinning tops for my nephews at Christmas time and decided to build another for myself today. I made the outer ring from brass and the center from 6061 aluminum. Bearing is 4mm press fit. Maiden spin was just over 12 minutes.
I found out it's pretty hard to get a good photo of shiny things.
That is really nice! I like the knurling too.
Robert

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Please tell me that is not a gash cut in the lathe bed with an angle grinder.
Yeah someone took an angle grinder and cut the bed to make room for bigger things to turn, i would never do that to a machine. You can see in this thread when i bought this machine the old machinist was using it to turn engormast flanges.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock