2018 POTD Thread Archive

I'm glad the dog was willing to hold down the timbers whilst you moved them. I remember the build of that vehicle. Very nice!
Never seen a rim that large...
Robert

She's usually up to help, a bit of an engine groupie. The mule clone has been a great yard vehicle, gets used a lot.
Guess the rims on some of the big construction equipment are bigger but certainly the biggest I've ever encountered. The plate for the bolt circle is 3/4 thick.

Greg

It's been more than just a "today" project, and not really machining ... but I got several things completed today.

1. Built a display board for a wrench (30" long, 3 1/8" and 3 1/2" ends), plus a "matching" nut and stud. A neighbor gave me the wrench years ago, and I found the nut and stud in an old surplus store a couple years later. The wrench weighs 30 lbs, so I made the display board and mountings extra strong. It sits above my hand tools.
kHPIM5497.jpg

2. The tool "board" has two swing-out leaves, so I have 5 surfaces for mounting tools. Last night and today I screwed a length of 2" wide webbing strap to the front face for holding pliers. Made the loops by forming them over short lengths of 1/2" pipe and 3/4" dowel.

kHPIM5495.jpgkHPIM5498.jpg

3. Screwed another length of strap to the front face, spaced slightly off the board with washers. This one holds tape measures by their belt clips.

kHPIM5499.jpg

Nice, I like those webbing loops. Stuff won't rattle around in them as much or go all crooked either. Good to see another Lufkin fan too :encourage:

-frank

Finally got around to moving the exhaust for my blower motor. It originally pointed the opposite way, but the gas tank for the mower this engine rides along with is right next to it, and was slightly melted by the exhaust blowing along it.

I also fabricated a brace that goes on the muffler, as it's significantly further than it originally was, and the pipe I used to relocate it is also much heavier (sch 40 3/4" pipe), and one of the bolts holding the manifold to the head feels like the threads have been over-stressed.

IMG_1251.jpgIMG_1252.jpg

Next up is to fabricate a mount for the replacement air filter canister I bought (Donaldson G042545) and an airbox that replaces the existing air filter/mount on the carb.

With a few distractions added Im getting the joints made for the timber frame that will support the carport roof. Can't believe the anount of moisture coming out of the beams. I've drained 6 tanks of water from the dehumidifier in the last 3 days.
IMG_4110.jpg

Greg

Back