2019 POTD Thread Archive

Made an “Ink well” for Bondic adhesive.

Bondic is that adhesive that is liquid plastic until UV light hits it for a few seconds.

It comes with a squeeze tube applicator but sometimes it is better to dip in a drop applicator for very small things. They make a drop applicator set that fits Xacto like holders. Sometimes nice to be able to dip in an actual part to pick up plastic then hold for the UV light.

Bondic needs to be stored in the dark to avoid any UV until it is used.

The project was taking a half inch stainless steel disk and drilling and boring out down an eighth inch. Then I took a black aluminum pill container and parted it off in the lathe so it would be short.

It works well and has a rubber grommet for the top to keep it air tight. E4DA6B4B-190D-4457-A042-AF374A757EA4.jpegF43D2A0A-5CC9-41A4-BCF8-8C8A4D6A121B.jpeg677A1E19-D8F9-4269-8618-94B474991AF2.jpegD4EA31CE-F886-4089-9F4E-B589E8148C7B.jpegC15284D9-34C7-4CB8-A38F-F0D51475FD0F.jpeg

I’ve wondered about that stuff. Anything special you typically use it for, or just the same type of thing as a cyanoacrylate?

-frank

Yeah I want to know what it is good for.. Two pieces of anything layered with that stuff and clamped together and then the UV light cant get at it to cure it.... Am I right? I been in this world a while and I haven't ever heard of the stuff. I am very curious.

Bondic is not like CA glue or any other glue. It is viscous like maple syrup so it can be worked with to get in place and it can be put on in layers to build up and fill a void. It never hardens so there is no drying until you hit it with the UV light. Then sandable.

the example they use is repairing a plastic bow on glasses. In a few seconds it is very strong.

It came from dentistry where they use a similar product on teeth then cure it with UV. My wife says they also use it for false nails.

she uses it for making crafts. Putting things where she wants it then cure with UV in 4 seconds

It is true it won’t work between two surfaces if no UV can get to it.

you could google it to find out about it

i just made the ink well for it. So nice to have metal working equipment to just think something up and make it!

Yes please tell us more about this glue.
what do you use it for?

I mentioned above my wife uses it for crafts. Today she used it on a wall hanging multi medium piece. Some painting, some other embellishment. Put on the bondic get it right where it looks best then hit it with the UV LED

Cadillac,
What is the device in the 4th photo (orange, white & black)? DISREGARD. You posted the video while I was typing.

I'd also never heard of The Glue Looper so thanks for that. I've got some on order already.

Last edited:
The second set of rims I put on my tire balancer wouldn't clear two cap screws that extended the length of the screw head from the mounting surface. Not sure if it was a screw up from the factory or what, but I decided to recess them. Started by enlarging the first 1/8" with a half inch drill bit. Then chucked up a 1/2", 2 flute end mill in a hand drill to take it to final depth. I had my doubts about the end mill working, but it did a pretty nice
job. Cheers, Mike

IMG_20191025_133314634.jpgIMG_20191025_133326906.jpg

Back