2020 POTD Thread Archive

Grab pics while you are out there of your pretty spacers. There is nothing like machine eye candy to make the day better.
Got 'er done. Took quite a bit longer than the hour I'd planned, but most of the extra time was futzing with the non-standard wheels--drilling new holes in the sheet metal, squaring them off for the carriage bolts, then realizing the holes in my spacers weren't big enough for the square portion of the carriage bolts, etc. Pretty impressed with the quality for the money.

Should allow me to keep most of my lathe tooling stored rather than scattered about the shop. Need to fab 5C collet rack for the top section (the people I bought the 5C collets shipped it in that rack and it didn't do so well, plus it's too tall for the compartment), and figure out a better place for my tool holders.

IMG_0434[1].JPG

IMG_0435[1].JPG

Need to fab 5C collet rack for the top section
Nice work!

Here are some collet racks I fabbed for the same reason. I made the R8 and 5C collets out of aluminum. Then I got turned on to some cast acrylic for another project - used it to make the ER rack and the centering jig rack.

Regards,
Terry

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG (The 3/4" was in the mill.)

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

Terry- those are very nice! How did you do the large holes? Twist drill annular cutter or boring head?
Robert

Terry- those are very nice! How did you do the large holes? Twist drill annular cutter or boring head?
Robert
Thanks, Robert.

I started all of them with twist drills. My recollection is that I started each hole with a 1/2" drill, then graduated up in size. The R8 rack was the first one I made, and I finished with a 1" bit. The 5C rack was next. On that one, I transitioned from twist drills to a boring bar. My recollection is the hole is a little over 1-1/8". Same story on the ER rack - started by graduating to the largest twist drill, then moved to the boring bar. The centering jig rack was the easiest. They're all made with 1/2" shanks. (I think I drilled the holes 9/16".)

Here are a couple of pictures of a rack I recently made for a Sherline flycutter and a Tormach Superfly. These were a little more complicated because of the shoulder. I actually made a mistake on the Sherline (read my calipers wrong), and over-bored the hole. I had some Delrin round stock, so I milled the hole a little bigger and pressed in a liner. I've thought about doing that on the Tormach as well but just haven't gotten to it.

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

Also, here's a photo of all them resting comfortably in the tool chest.

IMG_0836.jpg

Regards,
Terry

I TIG'ed up a little side tray for the common mill tools. I used some perforated metal so as not to accumulate chips.

View attachment 335437

Robert
Oh, I like that! I've actually been ruminating on something for a similar purpose, but I keep drawing mental blanks. I might try to copy your idea. Hope you don't have it patented.

Regards,
Terry

Back