Precision Matthews PM-728VT CNC conversion

Okay, I cannot resist this joke... please don't take it too personal (my fellow Arizonan). If your tray is leaking, I know a good plumber ;)

If the slope is not enough, I would build up the inside surface with epoxy to create the slope you wish. This is the easiest solution.

Sometimes you re-engineer things, other times you correct the issue with the minimal fuss. The choice is always yours.

Grinding work! You might look at diamond hole saws to get a smaller OD tool.

Yes, there are carbide bits that will cut stone. No, you cannot put them in a router.

You might ask a countertop shop if they can do what you want!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I am a sucker for buying tools so I ordered the diamond bit recommended above. Have given up on the idea of carving drainage grooves though. So will just mount it and build up w epoxy if needed.

UPDATE: KBC tools is out of that diamond coated bit. So i cancelled the order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
3cc5aaf4e745bed24b95f6396ca0579f.jpg

Two bellows to cover the ways.

This is next on my list for sure! This is my biggest gripe about the 728 besides the oil leak problem. I have been waiting for my superfly to grab ahold of that rubber flap.

I used the same for both y and z. They both need to be cut to a narrower size.

Quick question: how can I glue aluminum to granite, and make it water (ie coolant) proof?

My setup works quite well, but the table leaks. The holes through the granite and the frame are 3/4", and the screw are 1/2". Even with rubber gaskets there is quite a leak. Then the 8020 frame on top the granite leaks despite using caulk applied quite generously inside and out.

SO I am rethinking the enclosure. I love. it that it keeps the chips contained but would like to run coolant. So decided to make a frame from 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/8" aluminum, TIG weld it so it's water proof in the corners, and hopefully it remains flat after welding. I want to attach it to teh granite and place the 8020 enclosure inside it. So the angle frame becomes the water proof part. Something like this:
IMG_8846.JPG

What solution do you recommend: caulk, glue, or what?

Otherwise that's what the enclosure looks on the granite slab (the sliding front doors are off for the photo):

IMG_8734.JPG

As for the 4 holes through the frame, I will use two (on one diagonal) to attach the granite to the steel frame from below, and the other two (the other diagonal) to attach the mill to the granite from above. Have bought inserts from McMaster-Carr and have epoxied them in, such that none of the holes is through the granite anymore.

IMG_8838.JPG

Have used the center inserts, but bought two more styles as I wasn't sure what I really need.

Last edited:
Consider using white 3M Fast-Cure 5200 Marine Sealant. It does not let go and is used to set through-hull fittings on boats. Make sure to use "fast-cure", else you'll be cussing for 8-days while it sets :)

Consider using white 3M Fast-Cure 5200 Marine Sealant. It does not let go and is used to set through-hull fittings on boats. Make sure to use "fast-cure", else you'll be cussing for 8-days while it sets :)

Thanks, ordered.

Back