Precision Matthews PM-728VT CNC conversion

It makes me happy to see a Porsche owner cutting, machining, and welding. There is hope :)

Haha, thanks -- some of us are enthusiasts! That is my daily driver -- 2007 with 90-some thousand miles, barely broken in. The 2001 Tacoma is the weekend ride, and I plan to use my basic garaging/machinist skills (and the NEW mill) to build her up as an overland rig.

Last edited:
I just posted a question about delivery of the same mill. Was the driver willing to roll it across your Belgium block driveway? I have the same driveway material and am wondering if the pallet jack will roll across it.
Yes, he brought it all the way into my garage. The driveway is about 30-50 yds with about 10ft elevation gain, yet he did it. This was the only way I could begin working on it.

Last edited:
Yes, he brought it all the way into my garage. The driveway is about 30-50 yds with 10-15ft elevation gain, yet he did it. This was the only way I could begin working on it.
Great news! Thank you. Mine is Belgium block about 50 feet long with a 3-4 foot grade. So hopefully I should be fine.

After a few weeks of distractions with work, family, a new (to me) pick up truck that needed attention, I am returning to this project. Have started by filling the tubes with play sand. The sand that Lowe’s sells comes in plastic bags and it is wet, so I could not use it. Got some Sacrete brand from HD that came in paper bags and was dry.

b983d9e59f4930c71de0132231c4c0fe.jpg

Then hammered in some 1.5 x 1.5 plugs:
4cb24b676c33f32d3d557d455de92cb0.jpg

And have thus added about 120 lbs of non-resonant mass:
4eb98df7b525b24c0ec87e4ae78076c6.jpg

To recap it is 3x3x1/8” tube, sized 30x30x33-½” and bolted to the slab with 3/8” tapcom. Estimate the weight of the base at around 150#, and with sand at about 270# total.
f9619ffe4a57a6fcf1a09274bfde1ad6.jpg

Very happy with everything thus far except the coolant tray.
254a111affa747f6ffcb7db73d52dcad.jpg

Will re do it and open to any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Sand is an easy way to add some mass to the base. The top tube is empty, the bottom had already been filled.

The coolant pump is quiet -- like that. Will have to rethink the trays though.
IMG_8500.JPG

I went a different way with my table. It is wider than the maximum X travel of the table. This way, there is zero chance of anything accidently bumping the table in operation. The wide stance will prevent rocking. The Mill is mounted on 3/8th steel plate, which is welded to the 2 inch square tubing with 1/8th wall. They Y axis dimension is also generous, to ensure lots of move for oversized items with overhang in that axis as well. As a note, I did not go CNC, nor will I.

It is an 8 legged table with 8 adjustable feet for precise levelling. Four of the legs are directly under the mill to reduce the chance of tube flex from occurring. Flat panels could be added to the sides if any flexing is evidenced.

Attachments

• PM728vt on table.jpg
    PM728vt on table.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 158
Back