Rong Fu RF-31 RF31 Drum switch & motor wiring

Yes possibly the switch is bad. Let's try a little experiment: At the motor, move the wire #6 from the red wire over to the yellow one that you just taped up. Tape the red instead.
If it works the switch handle position will be opposite of what it is now but you may have both directions. Try that.
-M
ps is it possible the switch has been replaced? The wires look kinda "crunchy" like they have been messed with by a previous butcher I mean owner
pss something looks funny with the switch photo you posted- what is that yellowish slip-on terminal that's hanging free coming from/going to?
-maybe post a better picture of that switch from a different angle

Last edited:
Yes possibly the switch is bad. Let's try a little experiment: At the motor, move the wire #6 from the red wire over to the yellow one that you just taped up. Tape the red instead.
If it works the switch handle position will be opposite of what it is now but you may have both directions. Try that.
-M
ps is it possible the switch has been replaced? The wires look kinda "crunchy" like they have been messed with by a previous butcher I mean owner
pss something looks funny with the switch photo you posted- what is that yellowish slip-on terminal that's hanging free coming from/going to?
-maybe post a better picture of that switch from a different angle
So reinstall the yellow one, with the #6, in the current #6 location or where the yellow previously resided?

Also, I used a couple connectors from all i had, to be able to run the 230v wiring which replaced the 120v in the motor box.

It should be a new (new with the machine) switch.

The yellow terminal hanging is a black input wire which terminates with another black wire from the switch at the resettable circuit breaker.

Location doesn't matter, just the connection itself.
Let's see if using the yellow wire instead of the red makes any difference.
It sounds like your resettable CB is not in the circuit. We should address that too, Later

Location doesn't matter, just the connection itself.
Let's see if using the yellow wire instead of the red makes any difference.
It sounds like your resettable CB is not in the circuit. We should address that too, Later
Yellow with #6. Machine turns on when switch is on FWD (which is actually rotationally spinning in reverse) but nothing when selector is switched to REV.

I will post a better picture of the wires in the switch, which I copied the manual. But wow, what confusion that manual is, there's like 3 different diagrams for each setup.

Last edited:
OK looks like either the switch is miswired or faulty. Do you have a multimeter of some kind? Or could you put together a simple continuity tester with a battery and a light bulb?
You will need to label the switch wires then remove them so the switch can be examined and tested
Don't go and buy another switch just yet till we do a little more checking
The fact that the circuit breaker is not wired in makes me think someone has been monkeying around in there
Was the machine like this when you got it?
-M

OK looks like either the switch is miswired or faulty. Do you have a multimeter of some kind? Or could you put together a simple continuity tester with a battery and a light bulb?
You will need to label the switch wires then remove them so the switch can be examined and tested
Don't go and buy another switch just yet till we do a little more checking
The fact that the circuit breaker is not wired in makes me think someone has been monkeying around in there
Was the machine like this when you got it?
-M
Yes. I do have a DMM. Also, I believe this worked when I got it with 120v wired previously (what I mean is, I turned it on while it was 120v and it did turn on, however I do not recall if direction was proper nor I did not try the opposite direction).
Recently, I got 220v wiring and because 120v amp requirement for this was more than my 120v circuits, I wanted to change it over.
I will record accurately the location of the switch wires, then probe out the switch as per your requests...

*** Edited: Feb. 3, 2021. "I really appreciate your help by the way, thank you."

Here is the switch currently, while we have checked the motor wiring.

Attachments

• 20210203_104317.jpg
    20210203_104317.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Back