Saving a Logan 825

Unfortunately the drive screws go into blind holes. Their locations are such that they can't be drilled from the back to be pushed out either.

OK. Then all that I can suggest is to use a Dremel tool to slot the heads and then use an impact screwdriver to try to back them out.

I had the same problem with the drive pins on mine. I had better luck grinding flats on the edges to provide purchase for Vise-Grips. It's definitely a more tedious job though, since you have to be careful not to get into the data plate.

I had the same problem with the drive pins on mine. I had better luck grinding flats on the edges to provide purchase for Vise-Grips. It's definitely a more tedious job though, since you have to be careful not to get into the data plate.

Thanks. I tried a couple of other techniques that I read about (Vise-grips, chisel, heat). Nothing worked so I ended up grinding them off carefully and I'll drill/tap some new holes to attach it when I'm finished with this. I didn't realize that those little pins were hardened. Now I need to see if I can make the plate readable again...

I got the headstock broken down this morning. The original spindle is in really rough shape and had really been hammered on by a previous owner. The rear take-up nut had been hammered and hit installed/removed with a punch more than once. I'll be making a new nut before I install the replacement spindle. The nut on my Atlas has a set screw and a brass plate to bear on the spindle threads. I'm not sure if the original nut on the Logan had a similar set screw or not. If it did, the threads were too mangled from people using punches on it to tell.

I have not removed the smaller rear bearing, but I've found replacements from $10-20. Other than a known manufacturer, is there anything special to be looking for here? It looks like the original bearing is from New Departure? I'm going to try to clean and relube the front bearing.

My understanding is that there was nothing special about the left or rear bearing which according to the Logan manual was originally made by New Departure.. I would probably try at least to replace it with the same bearing from the same manufacturer.

Neither the text nor the parts list for the 800 Series mentions a set screw, but if I were going to make a new takeup nut, I would include two @ 90 degrees, with the brass plugs that you mentioned under them. And unlike a lathe like the Atlas with tapered roller bearings, don't over-tighten it. Which is another reason for having set screws in it.

I got the headstock broken down this morning. The original spindle is in really rough shape and had really been hammered on by a previous owner. The rear take-up nut had been hammered and hit installed/removed with a punch more than once. I'll be making a new nut before I install the replacement spindle. The nut on my Atlas has a set screw and a brass plate to bear on the spindle threads. I'm not sure if the original nut on the Logan had a similar set screw or not. If it did, the threads were too mangled from people using punches on it to tell.

I have not removed the smaller rear bearing, but I've found replacements from $10-20. Other than a known manufacturer, is there anything special to be looking for here? It looks like the original bearing is from New Departure? I'm going to try to clean and relube the front bearing.

The nut on an Atlas has a set screw because the nut is used to adjust the preload of the bearing. The Logan doesn't have one because you can't adjust the bearings at all. The large (chuck side) bearing has the preload " built in", which is
part of the reason it's special and not available off the shelf. The small bearing just supports the spindle at that end. When the nut is tightened, it simply secures the bearing to the spindle. Any bearing supply place should be able to
match it.

That's a good point about the set screw. The reason I asked is because the PO had taken a center punch to the threads on the spindle where they met the nut in an attempt to keep it from backing off I assumed. I can't overstate how bad the original nut was. Hopefully I get a chance to machine a new nut tomorrow.

I've got a replacement New Departure bearing on its way.

It would still be a good idea to put one or two set screws into the nut to keep it from loosening and backing off.

In practice, the nut seems to stay put reliably, or at least mine has and I haven't seen any posts from folks having that problem. It seems that if a set screw in the nut were tightened enough to do any good it would damage the threads on the spindle. If I remember right, my 618 had a nut with a small threaded segment that the set screw acted on.
The stock Logan nut, or a nut made by the OP wouln't have that feature.

Back