Shars Universal Cutter Grinder-Lost in Transit

What I told my Ebay guy was, See what happens when you shake the tree? :encourage:

I tell you, this freight industry is an interesting subject.
I drove truck from a computer parts warehouse, to a DHL sorting center, then to a DHL delivery station, for five years. The stories I could tell you.

Speed, and emptying the center were more important then accuracy, or damage free. If a pallet load of stuff missed a truck, it got put on the truck in the next door. did not matter that it was going in a different direction. They would get it back the next night. If a truck was full, they would break the shrink wrap, and toss the packages on top of the ones in the truck.

I drove truck from a computer parts warehouse, to a DHL sorting center, then to a DHL delivery station, for five years. The stories I could tell you.

Speed, and emptying the center were more important then accuracy, or damage free. If a pallet load of stuff missed a truck, it got put on the truck in the next door. did not matter that it was going in a different direction. They would get it back the next night. If a truck was full, they would break the shrink wrap, and toss the packages on top of the ones in the truck.
I'm not sure I wanted to hear that.
Whatever happened to making sure the job is done right?

I'm not sure I wanted to hear that.
Whatever happened to making sure the job is done right?
It all comes down to what metrics are used to evaluate the workers. Their biggest issue was that nothing was to be left on the dock, and that trucks left at their scheduled time. I had a later time for the area of the docks that I was assigned. Probably once a month I would have a pallet of someone else's freight. If I knew, I would tell the station so they could just set it aside, and send it back that night. If they did not know, it would get broke down, and sent down the sorting line, and about 1/3 the way through they would realize it was a wrong pallet. It was a nice assignment, but 5 years was enough. Thats close to 20 years ago. I heard later they moved to a new facility with almost all automated sorting.

I’m in Canada and really wanted the shars grinder , but they won’t ship that to Canada and to ship to the closest border service was $195

I’m then an additional ~120 to get it to my city via a courier and then I have to go get it

Long story short, ended up taking the chance with AliExpress and DHL. Took 30 days to “ship” and 7 days to make it here from China - at about 220 less than getting it from shars

The reviews of the shars unit look really good , would like to some day compare the units

I’ve used mine a couple of times in the past week and man I wish I’d have had one years ago. Makes making HSS bits for the shaper real simple

Good luck with your machines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a link for the machine you bought Kevin?

@Janderso I suspect Shars won’t ship it to Canada because of the size and weight.
I’ve basically stopped buying from Shars because they only ship via UPS (to me anyway) and I get hosed on brokerage fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in Canada and really wanted the shars grinder , but they won’t ship that to Canada

@kdecelles I've had really good service from Shars, even for heavy things - but you have to phone them and arrange for it to be sent by their trucking service. You probably made out better the way you did it. A 6 jaw 10" chuck was going to be $195 (shipping) by their alternate trucking service...

@kdecelles I've had really good service from Shars, even for heavy things - but you have to phone them and arrange for it to be sent by their trucking service. You probably made out better the way you did it. A 6 jaw 10" chuck was going to be $195 (shipping) by their alternate trucking service...

@Dabbler - I called and had a really good conversation with them (really commend them on service). They weren't able to co-ordinate a carrier to bring it across (although I could arrange that myself which was the DYK/Montana mailbox route I was looking at). They then explained that technically that would eliminate a return option/warranty. I've done this before (vise/chuck/dividing head) because the risk/reward was acceptable, I just didn't want to go that route here during the border/covid lockdown. It's funny, I viewed the aliexpress option as less risky than trying to work the logistics from Shars..... All things being equal, I think the majority of these machines are made in the same place.

As a side-note, Shars sent me the black friday flyer and had the cutter/grinder promoted as one of the 6 best deals. It'll be on for 20% off at the end of the month (coupon code blackfriday). This would have made it comparable with the Aliexpress value....

In comparing the pictures to my machine, the Shars looks to have better fit/finish, and looks to have oil-ports on the main shaft.

Back