So what's the best rust proofer?

I’d heard of Boesheild and it didn’t hold up for me.
Same for me. Rust is not a huge problem around here, Sierra foothills, but after a few days of heavy rain things get pretty saturated in my garage shop. I agree covers work best, but covers that can breath are preferred. Plastic seems to trap moisture coming from the concrete slab and can allow rust underneath, IMHO.

These are products my dad developed and were subsequently bought out by Bostik. He also developed a range of products to prevent rust and fouling for guns, as well as other products to prevent rust and improve cutting longevity. I use the Top-Cote on exposed metal surfaces, haven't had any issues with rust.

I live in North Texas and inside my insulated machinist room I leave 1 four-foot LED light on full time and of course use things like Fluid Film Boe Sheild, WD-40 and have minimal issues with rust. But out in the main shop where it is not insulated if I leave raw un-protected steel or cast iron it will rust while you are watching it rust. The problem is an issue that is caused by temperature and humidity. Under certain weather conditions you can actually see the steel and cast iron make its own water. I have even used the expensive paste wax that expensive Museums use to preserve things and the temperature and humidity laughs at it. I have Fluid Film floating on the top of my cast iron surface plate but, better that than rust. This would be a very good question for A.I. but I have used up all my A.I tokens for the next 24 hrs.

Same for me. Rust is not a huge problem around here, Sierra foothills, but after a few days of heavy rain things get pretty saturated in my garage shop. I agree covers work best, but covers that can breath are preferred. Plastic seems to trap moisture coming from the concrete slab and can allow rust underneath, IMHO.
Agreed, all my machine covers are cloth of different types from old carpet pad, old couch covers to nice sunbrella fabric. Whatever SO has at hand and can cover the machine. I was told by a neighbor when we moved here about not using plastic tarps by themselves but with some sort of breathable layer and used it for my metal I had to store in the tent shed. Made all the difference. That was before I started with the TAS and when I started noticing rust that’s when SO started making my covers. Works the best because there’s just too many nooks and crannies to spray. I don’t have large machines and like on my mill drill only the table is covered. The UniDrill gets FluidFilm no cover,

Does anyone remember ORB ? Back in the 70s and 80s we used this at the tool and die shop . I can remember spraying all ground items down before shipping . I can't find any info. on it . :dunno:

LPS -2,-3 and CRC SP350 and SP400 are all great for long-term storage. (I had a shop that was pretty much open to the atmosphere in Oregon. Typically 65%+ humidity, I've tried a *lot*. But, they all leave junk on the tool. It cleans off, but it's inconvenient if you're using it frequently. Hornady one-shot with the black lid (not the red lid!) is the best I found for stuff you might use at any moment.

Somewhere I have some photos of the rust tests I did, but they must be on a backup drive.

GsT

Back