So what's the best rust proofer?

I only have a little bit of experience with it so far, but a buddy of mine who is a retired die maker turned me on to Mold Shield dry rust preventative. He said they sprayed their molds with it when they put them away for storage. It seems to be a lot less expensive than Boeshield.

These are products my dad developed and were subsequently bought out by Bostik. He also developed a range of products to prevent rust and fouling for guns, as well as other products to prevent rust and improve cutting longevity. I use the Top-Cote on exposed metal surfaces, haven't had any issues with rust.
Cool, your dad was a chemical engineer too?

John

My day was a PhD physicist and electrical engineer, he started out building some of the first transistors as the VP at General Instruments and subsequently the first integrated circuits (IC's) as well as the first hand held calculators (prior to HP/TI). On the org chart of silicon valley companies he was one of the initial group founders of electronic companies in the area as well as starting the first private US-Japanese joint venture electronic company in the early 60's. We lived in Japan for several years during that time. He retired at 50, we built a 47' foot sailboat and they went off sailing to the south pacific for a number of years. In later years he started a small company (Sandaro Industries) developing coatings and lubrication for both machines and military applications, but got fed up with the company politics and it was sold to Bostik. He was constantly starting new companies, developing new products, but the invocations stopped once they got bought out. My dad had a very colorful life, including flying B-17's in WWII and was shot down behind enemy lines in the Battle of the Bulge. Recounting all the close calls he had in WWII, he must have had an angel sitting on his shoulder, he passed away in 2012, my mom passed away a few weeks ago. They were ones to never sit still.

My day was a PhD physicist and electrical engineer, he started out building some of the first transistors as the VP at General Instruments and subsequently the first integrated circuits (IC's) as well as the first hand held calculators (prior to HP/TI). On the org chart of silicon valley companies he was one of the initial group founders of electronic companies in the area as well as starting the first private US-Japanese joint venture electronic company in the early 60's. We lived in Japan for several years during that time. He retired at 50, we built a 47' foot sailboat and they went off sailing to the south pacific for a number of years. In later years he started a small company (Sandaro Industries) developing coatings and lubrication for both machines and military applications, but got fed up with the company politics and it was sold to Bostik. He was constantly starting new companies, developing new products, but the invocations stopped once they got bought out. My dad had a very colorful life, including flying B-17's in WWII and was shot down behind enemy lines in the Battle of the Bulge. Recounting all the close calls he had in WWII, he must have had an angel sitting on his shoulder, he passed away in 2012, my mom passed away a few weeks ago. They were ones to never sit still.
Very impressive. I read the Wiki. Interesting to know that Rumsfeld was involved.

Greatest Generation, thank you for sharing.

John

As mentioned earlier a good dehumidifier. Kill the source of the issue (moisture) instead of finding the best band-aid.
I have a 600 foot basement shop that I have to share with the laundry and furnace type stuff so there are moisture sources, not to mention when the weather gets the dew point up into the 80s. I keep it turned on year round even though it rarely runs in the winter, mostly just on laundry day. I keep it set for 40% humidity and have it plumbed direct to a drain. I have bare steel that is more than 30 years old that is still rust free. No mess no fuss just works whether it is machines or stock.

Get a large dehumidifier, one rated for a room twice the size, preferably one with a built in pump. I had surface rust issues in my shop during the hot summer months until this year. Put a self draining dehumidifier, not one rust issue on anything.
I’m lucky: my dehumidifier is close to the basement floor drain so I use gravity: no rust on anything, but I do use Zerust Tabs in storage boxes just in case,

I also use “original” Johnson Paste Wax on cast iron/steel surfaces like drill press & saw tables. For instruments and similar precision surfaces I use Renaissance Wax.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. It appeared there was a lot of support for the Bosheild T9 so I ordered a can to try out. I will keep the other suggestions in mind if my needs change.

I do run a dehumidifier June through September as that's when condensing humidity can be a problem, but it doesn't seem worthwhile to run it the rest of the year.

I wax the table saw tops and they are usually fine. The rest of the machines are always well oiled so no issues there.

The rusting problem seemed to be mostly on stuff stored in drawers & cabinets I will also get some Z-Rust liners/tabs for those areas.

Thanks again for all the input!

Back