So what's the best rust proofer?

As mentioned earlier a good dehumidifier. Kill the source of the issue (moisture) instead of finding the best band-aid.
I have a 600 foot basement shop that I have to share with the laundry and furnace type stuff so there are moisture sources, not to mention when the weather gets the dew point up into the 80s. I keep it turned on year round even though it rarely runs in the winter, mostly just on laundry day. I keep it set for 40% humidity and have it plumbed direct to a drain. I have bare steel that is more than 30 years old that is still rust free. No mess no fuss just works whether it is machines or stock.
Same here.

What people need to understand is that even with a dehumidifier or without there is always moisture in the air.

The key thing is to regulate the humidity and temperature.

Someone mentioned seeing the beads of moisture form before their eyes, that is a temp issue, not solely moisture alone.

A dehumidifier not only takes the moisture out of the air, but it also keeps the temperature stable.

During the winter the dehumidifier will not run unless the humidity gets above your desired set point. So it is not really running unless it needs to. As I mentioned during the winter it only runs when the washing machine empties its warm dirty water into the laundry tub releasing lots of moisture into the air. It costs nothing more than lighting a couple of LEDs to have it ready to go IF needed by a warm wet day or other wet event.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. It appeared there was a lot of support for the Bosheild T9 so I ordered a can to try out. I will keep the other suggestions in mind if my needs change.

I do run a dehumidifier June through September as that's when condensing humidity can be a problem, but it doesn't seem worthwhile to run it the rest of the year.

I wax the table saw tops and they are usually fine. The rest of the machines are always well oiled so no issues there.

The rusting problem seemed to be mostly on stuff stored in drawers & cabinets I will also get some Z-Rust liners/tabs for those areas.

Thanks again for all the input!
Good choice, I’m sure you’ll like it.

One thing I like about it over others aside of the fact that it works is there are no harsh chemicals in it.

I have a can of CRC rust preventative I bought back in the long ago that came with a small book regarding the hazards of using it. It stated it could be toxic for up to 15 yrs after application, and to wash your hands for all eternity after using.

I’m lucky: my dehumidifier is close to the basement floor drain so I use gravity: no rust on anything, but I do use Zerust Tabs in storage boxes just in case,
I use Deep Camphor in my tool boxes. Extra insurance.

This stuff is popular in the firearms community. A bunch of folks have bought numerous “lubes” and tested corrosion resistance of metal test coupons - this one seems to work very well.

This stuff is popular in the firearms community. A bunch of folks have bought numerous “lubes” and tested corrosion resistance of metal test coupons - this one seems to work very well.
I know of EEZOX, I started using it on my firearms back in the 90's. Then one winter day, my AR failed to fire after being left outside for a couple of hours, Upon investigating, the EEZOX had become gummy in cold. I pretty much stopped using it after that.

I know of EEZOX, I started using it on my firearms back in the 90's. Then one winter day, my AR failed to fire after being left outside for a couple of hours, Upon investigating, the EEZOX had become gummy in cold. I pretty much stopped using it after that.
Yeah, I use a dry lube in any firearm I expect to get cold. Hornady One-Shot and Otis Dry Lube work well.

There's always CLP. It's been the standard for over 50 years for anything expected to perform under field conditions for the Army. It does its job, is low odor, and leaves a film when it dries out. It doesn't attract dirt and isn't sticky. It's nothing like WD40. It's not expensive.

I tried to find Boeshield here in Finland with no luck, so I bought Lucas Gun Oil from Jari Mäki Oy instead. Let’s see if this is any good at keeping the rust away from my hand tools.

Will not dry off during long periods of storage.

Polymetric film gives total protection against rust and moisture during hunting conditions or touch by human hands.

I guess, within the shop, hunting for the lost 10mm socket counts as “hunting conditions”.

I tried to find Boeshield here in Finland with no luck, so I bought Lucas Gun Oil from Jari Mäki Oy instead. Let’s see if this is any good at keeping the rust away from my hand tools.

I guess, within the shop, hunting for the lost 10mm socket counts as “hunting conditions”.
Not a comment on your purchase, but more about boeshield.

the thing I really like about Boeshield is that it does dry and leave a protective shield.

Takes a few days to a week for this to happen, but there's no oily residue to pick up on your hands whenever you go to pick the item up.

IIRC its basically Bees Wax with solvents and carriers that flash off in time.

Back