So what's the best rust proofer?

I use fluid film. It works for long term storage. You have to wipe it down before use as it leaves a thick film.

Has anyone tried Corrosion X on their machines? We use it on our Cessna - sprayed into the wings and tail with an atomizing nozzle. It is FAA approved for this purpose. But this is on aluminum, not steel.

Corrosion-X is good stuff. I've used it to make PCBs immersible. You can spray it right onto electronics, works better than conformal coating because it penetrates the board without damaging components while sometimes conformal leaves tiny voids due to its high surface tension. The Corrosion-X treatment is a one-and-done scenario. It's cheap for small uses, but I could not imagine the cost of using it as Armor All for an airplane. I bet it keeps ice from sticking, though.

I installed a heat pump water heater a couple years ago in the basement shop, it also acts as a dehumidifier, with a drain required. I have been very happy with it, saves a lot of money on hot water for the house. It did make the shop cooler which is nice in the summer, not so much in the winter so I added a small fan to circulate warm air from behind the wood stove into the basement.
This has solved all my rust issues but If I think something needs extra protection I wipe it down with a rag that has a little gun oil or machine oil on it.

I installed a heat pump water heater a couple years ago in the basement shop, it also acts as a dehumidifier, with a drain required. I have been very happy with it, saves a lot of money on hot water for the house. It did make the shop cooler which is nice in the summer, not so much in the winter so I added a small fan to circulate warm air from behind the wood stove into the basement.
This has solved all my rust issues but If I think something needs extra protection I wipe it down with a rag that has a little gun oil or machine oil on it.
That sounds like a win!

I agree with others who say that low humidity seems to eliminate rusting. I run a de-humidifer from early April to mid November, keeping the humidity below 50%. I have no problem with rust and I don't apply anything special except to occasionally (maybe yearly) wipe my machines and tooling down with a rag soaked with 20 weight motor oil.

Last edited:
Corrosion x is great. I use it on guns, tools ,electronics everything. I think it has a high dielectric properties

Corrosion-X is good stuff. I've used it to make PCBs immersible. You can spray it right onto electronics, works better than conformal coating because it penetrates the board without damaging components while sometimes conformal leaves tiny voids due to its high surface tension. The Corrosion-X treatment is a one-and-done scenario. It's cheap for small uses, but I could not imagine the cost of using it as Armor All for an airplane. I bet it keeps ice from sticking, though.
This stuff is amazing and has changed RC boating in a big way.

I attended the 94 NAMBA Nats that were held locally. A guy had a glitch due to moisture in his radio system and hit the beached rescue boat with a 1/8th scale hydroplane at @ 60mph.

This destroyed the trolling motor, bent the transom and holed the side of the row boat.

Needless the racing boat was toast, we found the engine 20' away in 4' of water. Motor ran fine afterwards, but everything else was a writeoff.

This was a club members boat from the club where the race was held and he was permanently DQed as he knew he was having radio issues but continued on anyway.

Corrosion X would have solved his problem.

he was permanently DQed as he knew he was having radio issues but continued on anyway.

Corrosion X would have solved his problem.
That is irresponsible with something that fast. Wouldn't be a problem with a big cruiser or a sailboat, he should be banned!

That is irresponsible with something that fast. Wouldn't be a problem with a big cruiser or a sailboat, he should be banned!

I tried to make every event that week and heard this one happen and saw the aftermath, it was loud.

Don’t know if his club status after this happened, but he did not return.

The Italian team did get DQed and sent packing for starting a fight over their exhaust pointing in the faces of another team or onto their pits and being obnoxious during launch and mill time.

That whole crew seemed stressed for some reason, probably couldn’t get good coffee locally.

The Japanese and German crews were awesome and had trinkets for the kids and what not. The Germans even took some people out to eat for turning them onto the local German restaurant.

That was a fun week and it was really cool to see the different building methods and equipment you can’t get in the states.

Hearing that .60 size engine flying through the air screaming its guts out and warbling as it spun was something I’ll never forget.

Back