South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

Try this and see if it helps at all. The 9A and 10K use the same gearbox and many other parts.
Your pdf indicated that I did have some orientation errors on the left side gears. Glad I asked for help. Thanks!

Your pdf indicated that I did have some orientation errors on the left side gears. Glad I asked for help. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200116_134658.jpg
    20200116_134658.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
Evidently you and I are a little older to understand the Movie "High Sierra's" with Bogart. The Mexican bandit said, "Badge! We don't need no sticking badge!" LoL

I think that that line was from Blazing Saddles. The Treasure of the Sierra Madreas saying was, "Badges? We no need no badges... We are the Federalies.."

Concerning your gear box rebuild, there are some Youtube vids that might help you. I think that Hannigan has one on a 9" SB.

I think I've exhausted myself with youBoob last few days. The schematic was all I really needed. Have ordered a bearing, B-88, for tumbler arm. Laying QCGB to the side and working on bed for now. Now as I finish a sub-assembly I'll be able set it on the bed and keep it out from under foot. Being this lathe is so beat up I'm wondering if it might have been used in a high school shop class at some point in its long life.

Attachments

• 20200116_145259.jpg
    20200116_145259.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 20200116_123528.jpg
    20200116_123528.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Got a response back from the seller where I asked for a $400 refund. Of course he threw all the fault on me instead of owning up that he sold a piece of junk for at "least" twice it's value. He says he'll only pay $200 refund. Below is what he sent me this morning.

New message from: daughty70 (153Turquoise Star)
I will give you $200 back for the counter pulley assembly. I had bought this in a bulk sale. I told you I did nothing to this lathe. I did not take the spindle apart, I did not take anything apart. I made sure all functions worked and they did. So it was being sold as is. I sent you a video of it running with the QCGB being used, and nothing was hidden, pictures on the listed showed the crack in the gear box, and if you had zoomed in on the pictures you can see the ways. I told you from the start the original counter pulley system was missing. So nothing was hidden, again I told you had did NOTHING to this lathe and was being sold as is. Plus you have already sent me pictures of the "allegedly" broken spindle nut and bad splines on the spindle. So this tells me you've already taken this machine apart, so for all I know you broke the nut trying to take it off, and the picture of the spindle splines is a picture of it off the lathe, so how do I know that that's not from another machine? So again, $200 is what I'll refund.

I zoomed in on the QCGB and there is no clear indication of a crack. The "how do I know that that's not from another machine..." is just a smoke screen saying, "I knew it was a piece of crap, I've got your money and I intend on keeping it..."

Tell him, "To make this right, I need my original offer of $400 back from you. It appears that we can't agree, so I will just open a case on ebay".
See if THIS moves him to "better" action.

So what could eBay do about it?

Got my lathe bed cleaned and painted yesterday. Man that was a hard 3.5 hour job. Waiting for a spindle and tumbler arm bearing. Don't really want to tear into the apron, compound or taper attachment because I'll have too many parts laying around and I have no room to keep everything from getting misplaced. Guess I could put the gears back into the QCGB but am not looking forward to that because of all the wicks that have to be dealt with.
20200117_091336.jpg

When I cleaned my lathe, I labeled each part based on the exploded parts diagram. Really saved me and made reassembly easy. Than and take a million pictures of things before you disassemble in case you need to go look at how something went together.

1579276475774.png

Seller sounds like a scoundrel.
Tell him his rep is being trashed on hobby-machinist and to do the right thing or his ebay feedback will suffer the same fate.
He suffers from a feeling of entitlement...

Back