South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

it's a simple "item not as described" claim. You won't be able to claim for the weird pulley welded to the spindle and maybe not for the worn spindle splines (can't remember if they were visible in the pictures) but the cracked QCGB you definitely can as the lever was in position to mask it and it wasn't mentioned in the write up. Non-obvious and non-visible wear (like that worn apron worm gear) aren't grounds for a claim, as the seller could genuinely not have known about it, but everything else that was obvious and not described or photographed is grounds for a claim.

eBay is very pro-buyer, so make a claim with them first. If they won't back you up (and I'm betting they will), then file a claim with Paypal and your credit card. The credit card company will most likely get you back all of your money as it is a fraudulent transaction. Just make sure you don't run out of time as eBay has a time limit (45 days?) within which you can file a claim. As others have said eBay and Paypal can freeze accounts until a claim is settled so there's a lot of leverage over the seller. I would think a reasonable refund would be the purchase price ($1500) minus shipping ($250?) and say $500 fair value for the lathe. Or all of it and teach the seller a lesson in honesty.

Thinking to just take the $200 and put this past me as "another" lesson learned.
I put the QCGB back together minus right tumbler arm without problems. Still waoting on B-88 bearing.

Attachments

• 20200117_130901.jpg
    20200117_130901.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 24
  • 20200117_131538.jpg
    20200117_131538.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 33
Theathe cost me S1350 and he paid $175 shipping. His net on the deal was $1275 and now, should I take the $200, his net would be $1075. The taper assenbly with compoud and QCGB were an added value to me over my 9C. Those two items, if I upgraded my 9C, would have cost me around $700.

If it means anything, you're doing a great job fixing it up!

If it means anything, you're doing a great job fixing it up!
Yes and just to thiink of all the fun I'm having gives me chills! "Oh wait!" That was a cold front that just moved in! LoL

My QCTP arrived yesterday. My plan, to make it fit the compond, is to use a flange nut. I'll use a 14mmx1.5 tap to make it fit the mounting bolt that came with it. Otberwise I can mill one out or some 1/2" steel plate 20200117_150308.jpgif nut is not stable enough.

If it were me I'd take the $200 and run.
There comes a time when the time and aggravation is no longer worth it to me.
I took an EBay seller to task over false advertisement on the mini lathe I bought and managed to get a $165 refund because I threatened to report him to EBay even though they do not care about false advertising as evidence by the fact that there is no way to report a misleading listing.

My QCTP arrived yesterday. My plan, to make it fit the compond, is to use a flange nut. I'll use a 14mmx1.5 tap to make it fit the mounting bolt that came with it. Otberwise I can mill one out or some 1/2" steel plate View attachment 310932if nut is not stable enough.
I would not use the flange nut. There will be too much point load where the flange contacts the casting and it may break the casting. Mill one out of steel plate or modify the plate that came with the toolpost.

I would not use the flange nut. There will be too much point load where the flange contacts the casting and it may break the casting. Mill one out of steel plate or modify the plate that came with the toolpost.
This! If you have the tap already, just make it out of plate. The flange nut will concentrate forces at the points it makes contact with the compound where the plate will spread it around equally. Really good chance the flange nut will cause the lips to break under load.

Back