South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

Looks like the tumbler arm is going to be usable albeit being broken. From the pic, hard to see, but the tumbler arm does lock into the last slot.

Attachments

• 20200116_091007.jpg
    20200116_091007.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
Nope I don't have one. Is there a clear pic or schematic that can be downloaded from somewhere?

There is an Army Tech Manual out there covering the 9" lathe written during WWII. I don't have it, but I have seen it before. It has exploded diagrams of all the assemblies in enough detail that it could be of use to you. I would definitely suggest that you pick up Steve Brooks rebuild book off ebay (get the book and the rebuild kit, ie, felts, gaskets and sundry items). I thought that you had this manual for your 9C rebuild, but I could be mistaken. The Brooks book will give you the detailed instructions on disassembly and reassembly for your lathe - worth its weight in gold.

With that book, you won't NEED to ask questions like that above.

Yes that will be helpful. That one gear is the one that goes on the lead screw. The one clear pic is overlaid with "Photobucket." Wish whoever posted it would post a pic here that was not Photobucket. They stole all my pics a few years ago holding them for hostage unless I paid their outrageous new charges. (Despise them now!)

Got to thinking about and that 20 tooth gear and think I was trying to put too many gears on the tree. I believe it goes on the lead screw. Thank you for your help!!!!!!

Try this and see if it helps at all. The 9A and 10K use the same gearbox and many other parts.

Attachments

• 10K_southbendmanual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
^^ Wow, that's a terrific link.
Thank you very much for that pic of the breakdown! "Ask and ye shall receive." Who said that? LoL ( I know .)

Been working all morning on the bed and there are at least, or were, four colors of paint on it. I'm probably making a mistake by not painting it with a gun and using some hardener in it but Rust-O-Lium rattle cans are soo easy to use. Closer inspection of the bed there are a lot of dings in the ways. I used a set of diamond flat stones to knock the high spots down and hope things will be ok. I'll post a pic in a few.

Back