South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

The "bed teeth" is called a "rack".

Are you sure that the gear is that worn? If things don't properly line up, you'll never get the lead screw in place.

Yup! Plus a little shaft or apron casting wear.

UPDATE 1/30/20: Going to wrap the shaft, where it goes thru casting, with shim stock to take a little of the play. Could buy new gear with shaft for $39 but I see how this works out.

20200123_184008.jpg

Last edited:
Yup! Plus a little shaft or apron casting wear.

Yes, the gear is worn, but it should still mesh just fine. The combined wear on the shaft and apron would have to be close to 0.150".

It could also be the total wear of the bed and bottom of the saddle resulting in the gear being too low to engage.

This is what a good one looks like.

s-l1600 (27).jpg

It could also be the total wear of the bed and bottom of the saddle resulting in the gear being too low to engage.
Oh Noooooo! We don't even want to think about something like that going on. If I just ignore it maybe it will just fix itself. Although the further away from the headstock the more it catches the rack. :finger wag:

Now that's some serious wear. I love playing around with old "used up" machines, but I like to make some chips with them before I invest too much time and money. I hope it works out for you.

Now that's some serious wear. I love playing around with old "used up" machines, but I like to make some chips with them before I invest too much time and money. I hope it works out for you.
Oh it will make some good chips no matter what it cost me. I'm in too deep not to get it working properly. I won't buy pricey vintage equipment off ebay anymore. It was just a dumb move on my part and now I'm paying the price. In 100 years what's it gonna matter?

Did you ever check the wear on the v-ways of your saddle? They usually wear 3x as much as the bed. In one extreme case the top of the bed V ways were wearing into the casting of my saddle. Only fix is a "new" saddle or a shim up the old one with brass, rulon etc

Did you ever check the wear on the v-ways of your saddle? They usually wear 3x as much as the bed. In one extreme case the top of the bed V ways were wearing into the casting of my saddle. Only fix is a "new" saddle or a shim up the old one with brass, rulon etc

Not exactly sure how to do that. I will make it cut some chips first and adres bed wear issues after that should there be any. I'll check out YouBoob to see how to check bed/saddle wear on a South Bend.

Back