Straightening a Dual 1229Q tone arm

Cleaning a lubricating complete.

had to make a rubber retaining ring to get the single/multi selector switch working again. Found a vacuum cap with the same id and cut a sliver off. Works great!

Now to just wait for the “steurepimple” to arrive and its ready to spin vinyl again.

well, it will play now as it is, it just doesn’t have any “auto” functions without that little rubber nib…

Last edited:
PImples showed up today and now:

Jammin'!

It's not singing yet, but it's doing it's auto functions nicely. Ther were lots of things out of whack (mostly just needing TLCand some informed tweaking) but it's on point now.

The only thing I notice is the pimple makes that "creaking" noise as the arm is moving and the pimple is slipping across the clutch material, not sure if that's normal or not. Perhaps it's just the new rubber nib wearing in.

I still have to align the cartridge (VTA, overhang, etc), set the tracking force, anti-skate, etc.

But well on the way to getting the old girl singing again!

Lets see now: 50+ bucks for a few ml of grease and some oils on ebay for lubricating Dual decks...or 12 bucks at Napa and enough grease to last several lifetimes:

fr_4217.jpg

The rest of the oils I already have. Plenty of ISO 22 and 68 (air tool oils) and 10w30 is ubiquitous. Chain saw bar oil I also have.

I'll likely use non detergent 10w oil, maybe some 30w. I'm not keen on using 10w30 because they add detergents and friction modifiers, so non-detergent is a better choice in my mind. Probably makes no difference in the end analysis, it just seems like a better idea in my opinion. I'm after the lubricity of the oils, not the additive packages needed for use in internal combustion engines

The silicone grease I need to find and equivalent for, but no rush on that as both my tone arms drop nice and slow.

My bubble levels for the head and deck also showed up as did the special jig to set the stylus properly in the Dual cartridge "holder/sled".

I still need the mg scale and the azimuth gauge, but getting close to being able to play records on the 1229Q!

Nice work on the Dual. Really need to get the auto function fixed on mine, but the XM radio is adequate until I clear a little more of the project backlog. Would really love to spin some vinyl again. Mike

Good job on the reconstruction ! I have been using the Super lube grease for my repairs lately, I like it. Here is a turntable I finished last week, a rare Kenwood LO-7D. Main unit weights 65lbs without the power supply. Has handles on the sides of the base to lift.
E8C1BA28-952B-4DC0-A553-7B280F2646D4.jpeg

Nice work on the Dual. Really need to get the auto function fixed on mine, but the XM radio is adequate until I clear a little more of the project backlog. Would really love to spin some vinyl again. Mike
It's usually just the "steurepimple" (little rubber nib/foot) has worn out. A couple bucks on ebay (order them from the guy in Germany), a few seconds to replace it and you're up and running in auto mode. Unless you're got dried up grease making things drag in the linkages and pivots that is.....

Thanks for the info. Mine is a Pioneer PL350, but I imagine it would be similar in design. Tempted to check and see, but need to get the mill back together. With my attention span I need to stay focused, Oh look!! a squirrel!! Cheers, Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Mine is a Pioneer PL350, but I imagine it would be similar in design. Tempted to check and see, but need to get the mill back together. With my attention span I need to stay focused, Oh look!! a squirrel!! Cheers, Mike
Oh, that one is different. the japenese generally do what the Germans did with electronics, not linkages. Well, some linkages, but they are more heavily biases towards electronics vice analog.

I've got a Pioneer PL-200 and it's night and day compared to the underside of the Dual....

I had a look for a service manual for PL-350 and couldn't find one. Even struck out at vinylengine.com

It kind of looks like a pl-500, which you can download manuals for.....

Last edited:
Back