Straightening a Dual 1229Q tone arm

PL530 is a good table. Around mid fi Vs hi fi (hifi = mega expensive),

Well worth getting running again.

Building a new plinth for the 1229q:

IMG_3046.jpeg

IMG_3047.jpeg

IMG_3048.jpeg

Not bad for an “occasional“ woodworker.

still needs some filler and finiah sanding, then stain and varnish.

next up is a matching one for the 1249 beside it..

Appearance is excellent! I suspect the under-space is suitable for LP covers during play, too.
My (Dual 1219) base has a flip-down front panel to hide accessories... I'd lose them without
that feature. But, my LP covers just get in the way, as does, sometimes, the windscreen lid.

Be sure to test your stain on scraps; those finishes have surprised me. I'm inclined to
straight boiled linseed oil nowadays (it does have to cure a week in a warm location, preferably
outdoors, but I've got time aplenty).

Don’t you love how the wood supplier stick the sku tag on the good side!
Nice build.

Don’t you love how the wood supplier stick the sku tag on the good side!
Nice build.
Yeah, there was no getting away from them. Each board had anywhere from 2 to 4 tags, But always no less than two....and it's not "easy peel" stuff either. Comes off in multiple ripped pieces and leaves a sticky residue.

Appearance is excellent! I suspect the under-space is suitable for LP covers during play, too.
My (Dual 1219) base has a flip-down front panel to hide accessories... I'd lose them without
that feature. But, my LP covers just get in the way, as does, sometimes, the windscreen lid.

Be sure to test your stain on scraps; those finishes have surprised me. I'm inclined to
straight boiled linseed oil nowadays (it does have to cure a week in a warm location, preferably
outdoors, but I've got time aplenty).
I never thought about it but yeah, LP covers would slide right under with no issue.

A traditional stain for oak is ammonia. It will darken the wood. Then go over with about 3 or more coats of linseed oil. Sand between coats but leave the sawdust on as you oil. The sawdust oil mixture will fill the pores. Let dry between coats. It does take time and elbow grease. In my experience, I've always been pleased with the results. So far, looking good. A big thumbs up.

A traditional stain for oak is ammonia. It will darken the wood. Then go over with about 3 or more coats of linseed oil. Sand between coats but leave the sawdust on as you oil. The sawdust oil mixture will fill the pores. Let dry between coats. It does take time and elbow grease. In my experience, I've always been pleased with the results. So far, looking good. A big thumbs up.
Sounds interesting, but I've never done that before. I'll stick to what I know.This isn't a place for me to learn a new technique....

Back