Straightening a Dual 1229Q tone arm

Nice work! I managed to get a Rega 2 during the height of the CD craze, when everyone was dumping their turntables. The Lynn arm was slightly damaged, so the shop gave me a *new* one on (the lifetime) warranty. It seems to deliver very nice sound.

Sounds interesting, but I've never done that before. I'll stick to what I know.This isn't a place for me to learn a new technique....
That's okay. Do what works for you. In the late 1970's I worked for a repair and retailer for consumer electronics outfit. I repaired many turntables and record players at that time. The most interesting turntable that I worked on was a VM model 1700(?). It could play several records. Instead of dropping each record by gravity, it would let each record come down slowing and gently. VM used small ball bearings in a slitted tube with a lever. Wish I had a picture, it would make it easier to explain. Enough rambling, I'm impressed of what you have done. Turntables are not the easiest things to work on. Mark

Yeah, there was no getting away from them. Each board had anywhere from 2 to 4 tags, But always no less than two....and it's not "easy peel" stuff either. Comes off in multiple ripped pieces and leaves a sticky residue.

Sometimes the best way to remove the sticky is with an eraser; solvents can drive it deeper into the wood,
but an Eberhard Faber plastic eraser lifts it away.

I also recommend a cabinet scraper - just a scrap of mild steel, the edge carefully filed square, with a burr
raised with a hard steel (or carbide) rod. A few passes will take off the top milli-inch or three of wood, and
anything stuck to it. stumpynubs video

Back