Summit 19-4 x 60 clean, repair and rebuild.

I vaguely remember Doc Nickel over on PM/ HSM adding an external pump and filter to his large lathe (Springfield?). Might be worth looking him up to see what he used.
Thanks Matt, I'll look him up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The spindle lever on the apron was broken off and the cast piece that it attached to was cracked off.

I brased the area up then machined it back down. After milling it flat I redrilled the hole for the lever. I still need to cross drill it but I don't have any roll pins in stock.
3c226a6d8341d87c231af1b833dd3962.jpg
93aa8aadb9860f267536e05f0afb4249.jpg
7e69487742dc24e3a841a0e86fd7b487.jpg
c7b99ee87a32349ce2dcf38c2029f3d3.jpg
6d670375b5d1798a90f781eb2544836c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Finally some forward progress on this. Found an oil pump for it. Now I need to rig up a suction line and the output to the distribution block.

Where could I find a small foot valve that I could connect to a piece of copper?

This is the drive and feed back into the shaft it is driven from. Feeds oil to the clutches.

The guy at the hydraulic shop is telling me that the black fitting is a JIS or british standard fitting and the other is a regular JIC fitting. Both are metric I think.

Nice seeing you put some love to this old girl! We have exactly the same lathe (model 19-4 size 19x60)

Believe it or not that lathe looks to be in pretty good shape, the one I have I bought from the machine shop I work at.. it had saw 20 years of daily hard use. Heavy turning and pushing in 2” drills with the carriage feed all day long.

The summit you have puts allot of lathes to shame, even a victor of the same size we have in our shop would stall the spindle and pop the feeds out doing the work our summit did.

But in the end 20 years of it left the forward clutch completely wore out and left every ball/needle bearing in the carriage toast as well as the worm gear for the X feed heavily worn.
I am currently in the process of resurrecting her just like you are doing.

I noticed this,.. are you missing the oil drip pan in the main drive/clutch compartment?

Nice seeing you put some love to this old girl! We have exactly the same lathe (model 19-4 size 19x60)

Believe it or not that lathe looks to be in pretty good shape, the one I have I bought from the machine shop I work at.. it had saw 20 years of daily hard use. Heavy turning and pushing in 2” drills with the carriage feed all day long.

The summit you have puts allot of lathes to shame, even a victor of the same size we have in our shop would stall the spindle and pop the feeds out doing the work our summit did.

But in the end 20 years of it left the forward clutch completely wore out and left every ball/needle bearing in the carriage toast as well as the worm gear for the X feed heavily worn.

I noticed this,.. are you missing the oil drip pan in the main drive/clutch compartment?

Sadly, we have 7 newer Summit machines (all 4 years old or so) and at least 3 of them have needed major repair work. Just as so many other things, made cheaply relative to their former selves.

Sadly, we have 7 newer Summit machines (all 4 years old or so) and at least 3 of them have needed major repair work. Just as so many other things, made cheaply relative to their former selves.

It’s an unfortunate situation how the new manual machines are so poorly built... from what I have saw this is true for allot of brands. I only buy older manual machines. They are allot cheaper and the quality difference is night and day... that summit I have was built in Canada
Pretty sure the new ones are built in China

It’s an unfortunate situation how the new manual machines are so poorly built... from what I have saw this is true for allot of brands. I only buy older manual machines. They are allot cheaper and the quality difference is night and day... that summit I have was built in Canada
Pretty sure the new ones are built in China

huh, I just figured they were Taiwan machines ... but could very well be China made based on what I have seen.

Our HBM-110 boring mill had a full spindle replacement. 22" lathe had a shaft and bearings replaced in the headstock. The two knee mills, I stopped counting the issues with those ... but the 16", 18" and 42" lathes have been pretty good so far.

huh, I just figured they were Taiwan machines ... but could very well be China made based on what I have seen.

Our HBM-110 boring mill had a full spindle replacement. 22" lathe had a shaft and bearings replaced in the headstock. The two knee mills, I stopped counting the issues with those ... but the 16", 18" and 42" lathes have been pretty good so far.

Yea wow... that’s really ****ty to hear 4 year old machines should never have any problems!! :(

The two mills I own are from mid 1970’s, had a hard life running ar600 armour plate with some big cutters (10” face mills) been run out of oil who know how many times, the mechanicy survived the last no oil spree but the K&t didn’t have any oil in the case for about 4 years (no one checked it till it blew up the feed gears) when the feeds went they still ran it in a gear that worked (still no oil until she was grinding pretty mean) so that’s another machine I am fixing :)

Great to see so many others with the Summits. I wasn't sure that there were many out there. One of the machine shops here in Jacksonville has a few and one really large one. Mine seems to be in pretty good condition and talking to the repair guy I have one of the better models that they made. I'm working on figuring out the fittings for the pump and hopefully I can get this thing put back together soon.

Zyox, I couldn't get a drip pan or dimensions from the manufacturer. Any chance you could get some measurements of yours? Outside dimensions and where all the drip holes are. Also, does your 19-4 have the oil distribution block like mine? Ronnie at Summit made it sound like that wasn't on all of them. I have an open port on mine and I'm not sure where that line is supposed to go.

Back