Summit 19-4 x 60 clean, repair and rebuild.

Great to see so many others with the Summits. I wasn't sure that there were many out there. One of the machine shops here in Jacksonville has a few and one really large one. Mine seems to be in pretty good condition and talking to the repair guy I have one of the better models that they made. I'm working on figuring out the fittings for the pump and hopefully I can get this thing put back together soon.

Zyox, I couldn't get a drip pan or dimensions from the manufacturer. Any chance you could get some measurements of yours? Outside dimensions and where all the drip holes are. Also, does your 19-4 have the oil distribution block like mine? Ronnie at Summit made it sound like that wasn't on all of them. I have an open port on mine and I'm not sure where that line is supposed to go.

Yes! It is, I enjoy seeing and sharing knowledge of these summits, they where a pretty spiffy lathe honestly! You don’t see Inch & MM threading on older lathes very often, usually you have to switch gears out for metric threads

And I can certainly make up a drawing of those drip plate dimensions!. The plate has some copper lines on the bottom that direct the oil a few places including the sight glass.. might take a bit of tinkering but it is 100% doable!

I believe mine also has that oil block! I shall take a picture of it when I get home~

Yes! It is, I enjoy seeing and sharing knowledge of these summits, they where a pretty spiffy lathe honestly! You don’t see Inch & MM threading on older lathes very often, usually you have to switch gears out for metric threads

And I can certainly make up a drawing of those drip plate dimensions!. The plate has some copper lines on the bottom that direct the oil a few places including the sight glass.. might take a bit of tinkering but it is 100% doable!

I believe mine also has that oil block! I shall take a picture of it when I get home~
You're pretty much my hero! Thank you very much!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Got some time to take a few pics tonight... you can probably see what I mean by yours looks almost brand new in there! x)
and I will take some dimensions of the plate right away.

Looks like the only line you are missing is the dedicated line for the bearing the motor drives on?

Got some time to take a few pics tonight... you can probably see what I mean by yours looks almost brand new in there! x)
and I will take some dimensions of the plate right away.
View attachment 296549View attachment 296548View attachment 296547

Looks like the only line you are missing is the dedicated line for the bearing the motor drives on?
That looks easy enough to fabricate! Thank you so much for taking the time to take the pictures.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The fitting with no tube maybe made that way and it squirts oil out on the sheet metal plate and see all those holes drilled in it? That is made that way to oil the parts under the holes. A few more pictures on a cleaned plate and showing where the other tubes go would be helpful. No guessing. Have you written the factory or distributor for a lubrication chart and drawing?

The fitting with no tube maybe made that way and it squirts oil out on the sheet metal plate and see all those holes drilled in it? That is made that way to oil the parts under the holes. A few more pictures on a cleaned plate and showing where the other tubes go would be helpful. No guessing. Have you written the factory or distributor for a lubrication chart and drawing?

More pics will be on the way of the pan, as well as a drawing of the hole locations. You are correct that the short copper tube just feeds the drip pan.. figured he didn’t need pics of the other tubes since by the looks of it he is only missing the one that feeds the drive bearing, unless his lathe skipped that line (kinda looks like they just run it off a drip coming from up top) and I do not have any books on this lathe. A book is like 50$ from summit, I have just had to much on the go x)

Made lots of progress on the lathe. The oil is pumping as designed and I got the clutches figured out. There is a brass yoke that shifts between forward and reverse. It was not aligned properly on the shaft so I had to move it over about an 1/8th to get it to activate the clutches properly. Now that I got all that figured out I made a toe jack to help lift it up so I could spin it around.

Made lots of progress on the lathe. The oil is pumping as designed and I got the clutches figured out. There is a brass yoke that shifts between forward and reverse. It was not aligned properly on the shaft so I had to move it over about an 1/8th to get it to activate the clutches properly. Now that I got all that figured out I made a toe jack to help lift it up so I could spin it around.

Good bit of progress! cannot wait to see more~
I finally got around to doing a quick sketch up of the oil drip pan. been super super busy myself!
#1,2,3 holes have copper pipe brazed on the bottom to direct the oil places.
#1 pipe feeds either the #1 worm set in the last pic, or the gear below it. I cannot tell without it running, might do both
#2 pipe feeds the oil viewing window (directly in the center of the window)
#3 pipe feeds the top of the middle main spindle bearing

All the small holes are the same size (.11 od) and the plate is .08" thick steel with a lip all the way around the parameter making the total thickness .375 from the bottom of the plate to the top of the lip, it has a cutout in this lip where the oil feed line enters the pan 297825
Hopefully this helps... if I missed anything feel free to give me a poke! :)

Zyox,

Thank you so much. I will get to fabricating and give you an update!

Ryan

Back